Skip navigation
ottopixel
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 3.6

Jul 21, 2012 2:45 PM

Tags: #cs4 #photoshop #lightroom3 #external #editor #nef

How can I have my external editor (PS CS4) open my files in their native NEF format and not as a copied PSD or TIFF?

I do not want an edit copy and wish to have the RAW file open in photoshop. I have had this option in thw past, but since installing LR 3 on a new computer can not configure to just open the NEF file in Photoshop.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 21, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to ottopixel

If I remember correctly, you need PS CS5 for that to happen with LR 3.6.

In case I'm wrong, have you installed the latest Camera Raw (that works with CS4) in your Photoshop?

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2012 7:16 PM   in reply to ottopixel

I wonder if it really makes much difference. After you have modified an image in Photoshop it has to be saved to a new file format anyway. You can't really work "natively" on your raw files. They are never modified by Lightroom or Photoshop or Camera Raw. Any modifications done in Photoshop have to be saved in a new file. When Photoshop and Lightroom are fully compatible, Photoshop will indicate that you have opened the raw file and will display the name of that file. But you aren't doing anything to the raw file. That header simply indicates where the image came from. I know, this sounds like a lot of doubletalk. But I can't see that there's really much difference except that the PSD/tiff file is created before the Photoshop editing session rather than at the end.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 6:02 AM   in reply to ottopixel

Why don't you open the raw file in LR and then Edit in PS?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to ottopixel

I have not found this myself. You can always do your edits of the raw file in Camera Raw

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to ottopixel

Just to reiterate and clarify my previous comment. You are NEVER editing raw image data in Photoshop. By the time the image is opened in Photoshop it has been demosaiced, everything that was done in Lightroom or ACR has been "baked" into the image similar to what is done when you shoot JPEG. All Photoshop is showing when it shows the file name is where that image data came from. Photoshop is incapable of editing raw image data. And you are never editing a file in Photoshop. You are editing the data that was contained in a file, but while you are making changes you are making them on image data that has been loaded into computer memory. When Lightroom is newer than Photoshop it has to create the PSD/tiff file first in order to get all of the Lightroom adjustments into Photoshop. But you don't edit that file; you edit the image data that was in the file. The file isn't changed until you save your Photoshop adjustments. So, in effect, you are editing the same data in either situation. The only difference is the point at which the PSD/tiff file is created. You are not losing any image quality because the intermediate file has to be created first.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points