Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Blurry Pictures in Premiere

Jul 21, 2012 3:49 PM

Hello,

I have created a slide show in Photoshop Elements 10. I clicked on output to send it to Premiere Elements 10 because my pictures were blurry/pixilated when I viewed them in full screen preview, but they were not blurry/pixilated in the screen above the timeline.

Once I had my slide show in Premiere, I finished making edits, created a DVD menu for it and then went to burn it to a DVD. None of the pictures were blurry in the screen above the sceneline. When I went to burn it to a DVD, I unchecked the box "fit to available space" and slid the quality slider all the way to the right. Most of the pictures were fine, but some are still blurry/pixilated.

Why is this happening and how can I correct it? Please provide detailed steps as I have only been using Premiere for about 2 weeks.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 21, 2012 6:52 PM   in reply to chris_snyder

Moving to the premiere elements forum

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 1:06 AM   in reply to chris_snyder

Most likely you are making your slideshow with high resolution images. PRE has to scale these down to DVD quality (720x480) which is not one of its strong points.

Use Photoshop Elements, or other preferred photo editing software, and resize those photos to 720x480 (NTSC), or 720 x 576 (PAL) before bringing them in to PRE.

If you want to do some pan and zoom you can make them a little bigger (1000 x 750).

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If your question is answered would you please mark it so. This helps others, and allows Adobe to see how well the community forum is performing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to chris_snyder

More on Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-Too Large May = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967

-And another crash report http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to chris_snyder

Not Neale, but not a big problem on the duplicate post... takes people awhile to figure out forum navigation

Important thing is... did the advice on scaling pictures outside of PreEl fix the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to chris_snyder

Read the instructions in the message 450798 that I linked

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 8:31 PM   in reply to chris_snyder

With Video, it is ONLY the pixel x pixel dimensions that matter. The DPI, or PPI, are meaningless. They apply to printing, and to Web/computer display, but do not matter for Video. Scale to match the Project's Frame Size.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to chris_snyder

Chris,

Let's look at the workflow for a moment.

• You started with JPEG, which is a compressed format to begin with. The Images are the full resolution that the camera produces. As an example, I will use my Nikon - and I would have JPEG "originals" at ~ 3000 x 4000 pixels.
    • Video will be approximately 720 x 480 pixels (NTSC) for SD DVD-Video, or up to 1920 x 1080 for HD BD (Blu-ray Disc) output.
    • The 3000 x 4000 is larger than either, and by a good amount, especially for DVD-Video. PrE will have to Scale the 3000 x 4000 to get the full Image into the Video Frame, or will effectively crop the 720 x 480, or 1920 x 1080 out of the 3000 x 4000 Image, leaving a lot of unused pixels, that MUST be handled at some point.
    • PrE has Scaling algorithms to accomplish the Scale of the Still Images, BUT they are not as good as those in Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements. Photoshop also offers several versions of the Scaling algorithms, such as Bicubic, Bicubic Sharper, Bicubic Smoother, etc. (Not sure about PSE in this regard.) The quality will be better, if one does the Scaling in PS/PSE first, and then Imports the Scaled Images into PrE.
    • As JPEG is a compressed format, if one keeps compressing each successive output to JPEG, more compression WILL take place, throwing out data, that can never be recovered, except by going back to the original Still Images, and starting over. Especially, if starting with compressed JPEG, I do not use that format for any additional generation, but use PSD, the native format of Photoshop, which is NOT compressed, and which will Import just fine into PrE - no additional JPEG compression, and hence no additional Image degradation from the JPEG format.
    • I will Scale to exactly what I need for my Video, though some like to "round up" a bit, hence the common suggestions to Scale to 1000 x 750 pixels (for SD Video), or 2000 x 1500 (for HD Video). Unless I need to Pan on a Zoomed out Still Image, I just go with the exact Frame Size for my Video Project. For the use of larger Still Images (for the Pans), I just calculate the exact size that I require and Scale that/those Image(s) to that exact size.

Hope that this helps, and also note that extreme Scaling, even down-Scaling, will degrade the Image some, though less, than if one up-Scales to larger.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 9:46 PM   in reply to chris_snyder

I use the originals to do my Scaling, but I NEVER Save over those originals - NEVER!

Then, I Import the Scaled images into my SlideShow. Now, I create my SlideShows in Premiere, and not in PS, or PSE, but that is just me.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to chris_snyder

A good recommendation is to burn your originals to a CD/DVD/Blu-ray (depending on how many and how large) so that you have a read-only backup original.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to chris_snyder

I'm having the same issue with photos.  I started a project with the Standard48kHz 720 x 480 settings. I usually didn't worry too much about the size of photos in previous projects but in this one, I noticed the photos were a bit blurry so I resized everything to 720 x 480 through photoshop - photos are still blurry. Since I was on version 9, I decided to upgrade to 11 but the problem is still there. I've rendered the video (no red lines) without success.

In other threads, the question comes up "what do you mean by blurry?" In my case, I can best define it as if you did a slight Gaussian Blur in photoshop....the entire photo looks as if you need glasses.

I'm a user going all the way back to I think Pre 2 and never had this issue. The only thing that I've changed over the years is I just switched from a PC to a MAC. All my projects (approx 20) that were done on a PC didn't have this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 8:39 AM   in reply to 1copycat

Can you post a couple of screen-caps, please?

I would do one from Photoshop, showing the Scaled Image open there, and then one of the Program Monitor in PrE, sized about the same on your screen, so that we are looking at the two Images (the one in PS and the one in PrE) at about the same screen resolution. Might take some tweaking, to get them to be about the same size. Before doing the screen-cap in PrE, do Render your Timeline (or at least that Image), to show it at its best.

Good luck, and there is nothing that I can think of (not between PrE and PS, or between a Mac and a PC) to account for this, other than perhaps the display showing details (or lack thereof), that do not show in the other.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

The first one is a shot of the photo opened in Clip Monitor, the second is from the Timeline, the third is from Photoshop. The interesting thing is, I wanted to confirm that I had the correct settings so I imported the photo again, when rendering, the photo seemed to get worse after it was rendered.

Screen shot 2012-11-22 at 9.02.38 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to 1copycat

That IS major Blurring!

OK, let's step back just a bit, to make sure that we are on the same page.

You have a PrE DV Project at 720 x 480 (Widescreen 16:9, or Standard 4:3, and are you doing PAL, or NTSC?), and have Scaled your Image to 720 x 480 in Photoshop (what PAR do you have? PAR = 1.0, PAR = 0.9, or PAR = 1.2 - those for NTSC).

As soon as your Image is placed on the PrE Timeline, you see this blurring. Rendering that part of the Timeline makes it worse.

Is that correct?

What is the format of your Image, first the original Image's format, and then the output Image, once Scaled?

In the screen-caps, are we seeing the Scaled Image from PS, or the original?

When you did the Scaling in PS, which of the Bicubic Interpolation algorithms did you choose?

Have you added any Video Effects to that Image in PrE?

Good luck, and sorry for all the questions, but I have never encountered similar, so am looking at everything in the workflow.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I'm double checking everything but I'm stuck on the PAR.....where do I find those settings and what should they be on for NTSC 4:3? Using PE 9.0.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to 1copycat

PS can tell you the exact PAR, under the Image menu in the Toolbar, at the top of the screen.

With still Images, the PAR will most probably be 1.0 (Square Pixels), and for an NTSC Standard 4:3 Project w/ PAR = 0.9, the exact pixel x pixel size of the Still Images should be 640 x 480 with their PAR = 1.0. If you do the math, 720 x 0.9 = 648 pixels, but the Video standard is 640 pixels. That slight difference should NOT account for the blurriness that you are observing.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

You have a PrE DV Project at 720 x 480 (Widescreen 16:9, or Standard 4:3, and are you doing PAL, or NTSC?),

The project is 720x480, Standard 4:3, NTSC

Scaled your Image to 720 x 480 in Photoshop (what PAR do you have? PAR = 1.0, PAR = 0.9, or PAR = 1.2 - those for NTSC).

Yes it is scaled to 720x480 (I still can't find the PAR under the Image Menu??)

As soon as your Image is placed on the PrE Timeline, you see this blurring. Rendering that part of the Timeline makes it worse. Is that correct?

When I place it in the timeline, it actually looks a little pixelated but the rendering makes it look blurry.

What is the format of your Image, first the original Image's format, and then the output Image, once Scaled?

JPEG for both. 

In the screen-caps, are we seeing the Scaled Image from PS, or the original?

It is the scaled image in photoshop.

When you did the Scaling in PS, which of the Bicubic Interpolation algorithms did you choose?

Bicubic (Best for smooth gradients)

Have you added any Video Effects to that Image in PrE?

No Video Affects added

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to 1copycat

Wow, what you observe, should NOT be happening.

Now, going back to PS, if you are starting with a JPEG Image, then Scaling it, and Saving that Scaled Image, I would recommend doing the Save_As to PSD, rather than another JPEG compression, to maintain max. quality. However, what I see in the example does not look like additional JPEG compression.

As a test, can you attach both the original JPEG (before you Scale it in PS) and the Scaled JPEG to an e-mail, and send it to me at info AT huntphoto DOT com? Obviously, the AT = @, and the DOT = . with no spaces in between. I can handle large attachments, so there should be no problem there. I will then Open the original in PS and Scale it, then compare that with your Scaled version. I will Import into an NTSC DV Standard 4:3 Project, and see if I get the same results. I will then report what I discover.

As for the PAR in Photoshop, here is a look at things in PS CS 2:

Image_PAR.png

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Just another kicker to this issue, I pulled up a previously completed project (Done in PreE 9) and the images are fine. I imported one of the photos from that project into PreE 11 and it is blurry. This photo was untouched and the size was 1728 x 1152.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

From our e-mail correspondence, I see that you have Photoshop Elements, and not Photoshop, as I have shown.

As I do not know PS Elements, I do not know if/where any PAR adjustment might be. Maybe another user, who knows PS Elements can help there.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I've tried to uninstall Premiere 11 and the previous Pre9. Reinstalled 11 and get the same. I didn't try installing only Pre9 but that might be my next step.

But interesting thing. I tried exporting out as flash video (I think it was Flash 8?) and the blur issue is gone (attached photo). It seems it is a bit blurry, but nowhere near the same as the screen shot from Elements. Will this bring us to any conclusions as to why it is clear in Flash?

On another note....

I tried chatting with someone from Adobe (the only free support is through chat) and I by the time I got to a point where the Adobe person wanted to view my screen, I had to leave. We set up a call back time and he never anwered or tried to call back, he had my cell number and email. So out of the 3 people I chatted with, none of them had an immediate "ah-ha!" to my issue, which is why I was forwarded to 2 other tech support departments. I waiting for a block of time I can try the chat support again.

So am I the only one with this problem?Screen shot 2012-12-02 at 11.56.37 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to 1copycat

Having similar issues.... Hard to believe you would have to do all this to get images crisp. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to pretabhorn

If you follow these simple instructions, you will get the best possible DVD (720x480) image:

1) Ensure all photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size.

2) Right-click on each photo on your timeline and select Field Options/Flicker Removal.

That's not that hard, is it?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Sweet.  Will try.  Thats the kind of simple answer I was looking for.  Thanks Steve.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to pretabhorn

My book (on Amazon) is loaded with lots of helpful tips like that, if you're interested, pretabhorn.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Hi Steve, thanks for the additional option but this seems a little out of the normal workflow to have to input your photo and then go through another step to remove the flicker, is there a preset setting that can be selected before placing the photos?

Also, out of the 30 or so slideshows/videos I've created in the past several years, I've never had to do this? Is this a new feature incorporated into the program?

Last, how does saving it as a Flash file manage to remove the blurriness while burning to a DVD doesn't?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to 1copycat

Whether or not you do so is the difference between getting very good and getting the best results, copycat.

As for your results outputting Flash vs., DVD -- this is why we always ask people how they plan to use a file before we tell them how to do an output. DVDs, which use interlaced video, are ideal for interlaced video media players, like TVs. While Flash is a web-based format and is optimized for non-interlaced players, like computer software.

When doing comparisons, you do have to make sure you're comparing similar things. Apples and tomatoes may look alike from the outside, but you can't compare the two.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

In response to your second paragraph, I'm not sure what else to do. I set the project up as I've done in the past, resized all the photos, burned to a DVD and the blurry photos appear through the DVD player/TV as well as on the computer screen. I then opened a previously burned project that I have a DVD of, tried burning that and somehow the photos are now blurred - when comparing the two, the original DVD (from 2 years ago) has a noticable, better quality than the re-burn of the same project in PreE 11.

I applied the "Flicker Removal" then rendered. The attached file shows the outcome on the left photo, the image on the right is what I see on the Clip Monitor. I've experienced the same thing on the text as shown on the second attachment.

Flicker Removal.jpg

Text Sample.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to 1copycat

As I said, a DVD file is an interlaced picture and your computer is a progressive scan (non-interlaced) device.

So any frame you grab from your DVD is only going to have half the number of horizontal lines as, say, a Flash or progressive scan MP4 file. And that would certainly account for the lack of detail and fuzziness in your screen caps.

On your TV, two sweeps -- one displaying even-numbered lines of video and the next displaying odd-numbered lines of video -- are combined to create a single frame of a video 30 times every second.

You can't judge the quality of the DVD on your computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Do you have a theory as to why a previously recorded project turned out good quality but now when opening that same projoect, I'm exeriencing fuzzy photos? In reading your last two responses I'm unclear what troubleshooting steps I can take.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 9:02 PM   in reply to 1copycat

Just new to Premiere Elements in the last couple days. I did a trial of creating a DVD from imported photos of 2048x1536. I get the blurry, unacceptable result mentioned here and elsewhere. When I create a Blu-ray, all looks good. I find it totally unacceptable if the solution to this problem is always starting a project with downrez photos if you want to create a DVD. I want to create one project that I can then use to create DVDs or Blu-rays depending on who the user will be. I can't believe a major program like this has a what I consider to be a fatal flaw in the programming. If I am missing something, would appreciate more advice.

Also, is Adobe not aware of this and they will not properly fix?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to david1216

You guys are not reading the thread before you post.

Video on DVDs is 720x480 pixels. It's IMPOSSIBLE to display a photo at 2048x1536 on a DVD! It's not a bug in Premiere Elements. Video is video. DVDs are DVDs.

If you're trying to create a slideshow that's of higher resolution than video, you should not be using a video editor. You should be using a slideshow creator like Pro Show Gold.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 5:58 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I understand the resolution of DVDs. That is why I expect Elements to scale my imported pictures effectively. The same pictures I took were properly resolved on 1920x1080 Blu-ray. Isn't this why people use this program? Isn't this supposed to be a main feature?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points