Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 21, 2012 11:31 AM

Tags: #problem #upload #avatar

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.  When I upload an image, it uploads, but then it wants me to crop it, but with no means to do so.

If I just hit the crop button, I get an error.

If I try to click on the image to select an area, I end up getting browser options.

Suppose I don't want to crop my photo?

I note I can upload 2 photos -- so I thought I could upload a 320x240 for the cropped size it seemed to want (well on user page avatar is that size, so ....)... down to a square 60x60...though I see that standard forum avatars are a woppin 30x30...(aeeeeiiii).....a splotch of color--- that must be ....soandso...!...

anyway...

have tried multiple images (all were png, and ... if it isn't obvious, the small one was a huge 15KB (I sort don't think size is the issue!)....

Anyway...probably my browser (turned off noscript +adblock...and no sites listed with cross site refences in 'request policy'...(shows a red-flag when it blocks a cross-site request)....

So I don't know of anything else that would be blocking it -- I can log in and post things...

and I can embed images in posts -- but not upload avatars...

any advice?

Thanks,

A*a...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 21, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to Astara_

What browser are you using?

I just tried to upload a new avatar file and had no problem. My file was already a square shape, so I didn't nee/want to crop it and it let me proceed without cropping it. I went back to add a second one and I did crop that one by dragging the image handles. Again, no issue. The files were PNG and around 150K.

15K isn't huge. Can you embed one of the images in a reply here so someone else can try it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2012 6:52 PM   in reply to Astara_

Astara_ wrote:

If I just hit the crop button, I get an error.

And what is the error you are getting?  (Cropping is necessary if the image is not square.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 5:30 PM   in reply to Astara_

I suggest use these pictures for your profile:

215960_450_567_cache.fw(medium).fw.png

215960_450_567_cache.fw(small).fw.png

You need both pictures - one for the profile and small one for the avatar.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to Astara_

I don't see why your right mouse button would be needed. It isn't used in the process of uploading or cropping an avatar image.

Are you uploading an avatar directly? Or are you uploading a profile picture and then asking to also use that same image as your avatar? I tried both ways with a non-square image and still had no problem uploading and cropping. I'm using Chrome at the moment, but will try again in a few minutes with Firefox.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to adobe-admin

Just tried both a profile image and then cropped that image for my avatar, too, in Firefox (v 14.01) and had no problem. I'm not sure how to guide you on this. Can you try a different browser?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to Astara_

Astara,

Pending means that the Forum nanny is scrutinizing them to determine whether the rest of us can survive looking at them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

...and the Forum Nanny has spotted a nipple . The avatar's OK as it's too small to see, but for the profile image some editing is required before we'll approve it.

Absolutely, positively no nudity allowed, partial or implied, cartoon or otherwise.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to Astara_

Astara,

Just to elaborate on my post #10: as far as I know, however it looks, every single image uploaded will be pending for a while, namely the while it takes the Forum Nanny to get round to it.

So the question has been asked quite a few times.

This is the first time I have heard about any of the actual considerations.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 9:43 PM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Dave Merchant wrote:

Absolutely, positively no nudity allowed, partial or implied, cartoon or otherwise.

What about scantily dressed women playing beach volleyball as in this picture:

<http://www.london2012.com/mm/Photo/sport/General/01/23/64/28/1236428_M 01.jpg>

Some images will be close up to display their true beauty for everybody's enjoyment!!

BBC is putting these pictures on its website so why why can't Adobe do the same?  It is all sports after all.  All I do is manipulate these pictures in PSE10 and post for further guidance from experts.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 10:00 PM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

What about scantily dressed women playing beach volleyball as in this picture:

<http://www.london2012.com/mm/Photo/sport/General/01/23/64/28/1236428_M 01.jpg>

The image is full of advertisements...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 1:26 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Correct, all avatars and profile images go into a moderation queue, the moderators and staff work through them as quickly as possible. There are some absolute rules from the Adobe.com Terms of Use, and some general principles to avoid legal problems given Adobe becomes the 'publisher' of your images when they're uploaded.

• No nudity or content likely to offend due to violent / sexual / racial / political / religious overtones (trying to post some categories of illegal image will result in an instant and permanent ban).
    • No images of minors (due to the complex legal situation governing publication of photographs of children).
    • No spamming via embedded URLs etc.
    • No copyright infringement (stock photos, third-party logos, frames from movies, album covers, etc.).
    • No use of Adobe product icons, box shots, screenshots or the Adobe 'red tab' logo except by staff and authorized licensees.

We can't guarantee to spot every case of copyright infringement and have no idea what you look like in person, but unless your email address matches I'm not about to believe a photo of Lady Gaga is really you.

To answer the "volleyball" question - you couldn't use that as a profile image as it'd be obvious copyright infringement, but everyone is wearing enough clothing to walk down a city street (albeit a warm one). Linking to an image like that on another website is OK for the purposes of a forum question, but uploading a copy to the Adobe servers using the 'embed image' button is not.

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Astara,

Just to elaborate on my post #10: as far as I know, however it looks, every single image uploaded will be pending for a while, namely the while it takes the Forum Nanny to get round to it.

So the question has been asked quite a few times.

This is the first time I have heard about any of the actual considerations.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 3:28 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Thank you for sharing the thoughts of the Forum Nanny, Dave.

Everything seems quite obvious.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points