Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Marking a topic as "resolved"

Jul 17, 2012 9:01 PM

One of the positive sides of using the "Correct" link on a post is that the topic gets marked with a green bullet; indicating that we don't need to look at it again.

However, doing so inserts the "correct" answer into the original post, even if it does not contain any info how the original problem was resolved.

An example: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1036936

Now I am wondering, what is more important

• to mark a topic as "resolved", even if it does not contain an actual resolution?
  • to mark a real resolution as the "correct" answer?
  • or leave a topic that is resolved, but without an actual resolution, as unresolved?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2012 2:24 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Pat,

I believe that I remember my having seen threads marked as Answered but with no Correct Answer, at least a while ago, maybe before the latest changes.

I have seen a thread like the one linked to now and again, and assumed that it was another one of the (more frequent kinds of) mismarkings.

Are you sure this is not one of those?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 4:02 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

I see this like one more effect in the change in the directions and goals of these forums (see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1037298?tstart=0). I think that now a post is marked as "the" correct answer if it indicates in any way that the OP no longer is experiencing the problem s/he is asking about. Naturally, I disagree with this concept of a "correct" answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 7:07 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Pat,

I have puzzled over that too.

Your example is a good one. I have seen similar, where the Reply, asking for information (just as Reply #1 did here), was marked as "Correct."

Once saw a thread in the Premiere Forum, where about 3 Replies gave resolution, just worded in slightly different ways. Any could be logically marked as "Correct," and the other two "Helpful." Reply #4 basically said, "You're too stupid to even use "professional" software, so give up on it... " That was the one, that the OP marked as "Correct!" The three good answers, did not even get "Helpful."

Though Adobe is using the "Correct," "Helpful," and the "Was this helpful Yes No?" to gather data, and some searching forum subscribers would like to know that there was some form of resolution in the thread, I lean to your #3 answer: Leave it as unresolved. Though the OP might have resolved the issue, there is nothing in the thread to help someone coming to it later on. I always try to request that the OP share WHAT the resolution was, whether the answer came from the forums, Adobe Support, a friend in a bar or from another forum. Sometimes they do, but not often enough.

Just my thoughts,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

I like the Correct, although it is dissappointing that the OP frequently marks his own post that he has it figured out.  But no solution, and just thanks people for their help.

Perhaps they think they can gain points this way.

The Correct and Helpful marks helps in long threads, especially now that one can only view 15 threads per page, so one can hone in on answers the OP thought were helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill,

I have said several times that I am against the marking of "correct" answers (as well as to any points system). In my opinion, there is no such thing as the correct answer, except perhaps in the case of very trivial questions. You may remember how in the "fair forums" many non-trivial questions originated long interchanges between the most knowledgeable participants, interchanges that  poked in depth in complex matters and were true and elightening lessons on difficult subjects. Which one should be marked as correct? Which one when two or more participants post basically the same answer at the same time? Which one when two or more participants post completely different solutions to the problem in question?

I wouldn't object too much to marking as correct posts that really respond to the original question, provided that the marking is correctly done based on how useful such posts can be for future participants facing the same issues. I do object, and strongly, to the present indiscriminate way that this done, and to the exposition of such posts in a prominent position and with a completely different background, making them stand out as if it was God himself who had spoken. Unfortunately, too frequently they are messages that are not answers to anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt,

The original poster is often the less qualified person to judge an answer as "correct", especially in the case of newcomers in a hurry. All they want is results; and if their problem happens to disappear after following advises of the type "press the Esc key five times in rapid succession, and then three more times, while you touch the point of your nose with your left hand idex", they are bound to mark such answers as correct. Imagine the frustration of those who face the same problem later, when they find that the prominently displayed "correct" answer does not work in their cases...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio,

I am not sure how having the "Correct" and "Helpful" markers would dissuade discussions, irrespective of any "points" at play. I still see many threads with very meaningful discussions, that continue beyond the OP getting some resolution for their immediate problem. Often, a solution will be forthcoming, to get their Project finished, but then discussion goes on, adding useful background information.

As many come to the forums to Search for a resolution to their problem, or answer to their question, knowing that Thread A has an answer, can be helpful to them. With some Searching are reading, they might never need to post at all.

Just my thinking on this,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 7:23 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill, knowing that Threaf A has a Correct answer that is indeed correct, and useful for them as well, can certainly be helpful. What we have now isn't.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 8:50 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Many of the MOD's/Hosts are working at correcting that. As it is most often applied, the OP's have not been doing THAT good a job, if they have done any marking, at all.

Many are trying to encourage the OP's to mark their threads, and trying to help the do so "correctly."

It is not perfect, and probably never will be, but many are trying to improve things.

Good luck to us all,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

"many times have we seen a topic that was resolved for the original poster, then a new poster comes and adds "I have the same problem; please help"?  I these cases we have to look at the topic again, anyway."  MANY TIMES we see this, so this is not really a useful statement that we can now ignore "correct or resolved".

Even if a topic is marked CORRECT, or RESOLVED,  I have seen many times where a solution for one does not work for the next person.  Have to chalk this up to different hardware and software combinations on computers.

As I wrote many moons ago I think correct or resolved are too specific a category.  I thought the posts should be labeled "Worked For Me" when the OP finds a thread that solved his problem.  Claudio should like this as it is not THE correct answer, but one that solved OP's problem.

To make it shorter maybe just use WORKED and HELPFUL. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to Curt Y

In my post above I was thinking mostly of solving operating problems.  There is also the issue of editing procedures, and there the CORRECT is even more IN-correct.  There are many ways to achieve similar results, which can result in many CORRECT answers, as Claudio observes.  What is correct for one may not be correct for another as the technique may be too advancved for their knowledge level, or they may not need the higher quality output that the complicated proceedure requires.

So, marking the post "works for me" or "works" signifies that they can achieve a result that is satisfactory to them.

P.S.  Normally I would have added an edit to my post #11, but for those wacos that use e-mail they would not get the added info in this post.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Pat Willener wrote:

A further question should be asked: who should benefit from topics marked as resolved

• the forum regulars ("helpers"), who would see a topic as resolved, and therefore won't need to look at it again?
    • the forum visitors, who are looking for a resolution for a problem of their own?

Let's not forget the Point system to recognize the most valuable contributors to the forum (5 points for a helpful answer, 10 points for a correct answer).

I know that many users (even some who are recognized as top contributors ) don't like the point system, but I like to see people who have helped me and others get credit for their help. I've started marking all posts that are helpful to me as "helpful".

Recently I posted a question and the first reply had some very useful tips though it didn't give me exactly what I wanted. I did mark it as helpful but later found that answer marked as a correct answer and the thread was marked with a green bullet.  Could a moderator have done that?  If so, I didn't feel that he had done me a service by doing so.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to acresofgreen

Staff and moderators will sometimes allocate a correct tag to a thread if they feel it has been answered and the original poster hasn't chosen a correct response, but we have no way of telling who did that for your particular post. It's important to remember that when you post a technical question you're not the only one who has an opinion on what constitutes "correct". Now the forums are a part of the product help ecosystem, clarifying the 'correctness' of certain replies is important for the benefit of other Adobe customers.

acresofgreen wrote:

Recently I posted a question and the first reply had some very useful tips though it didn't give me exactly what I wanted. I did mark it as helpful but later found that answer marked as a correct answer and the thread was marked with a green bullet.  Could a moderator have done that?  If so, I didn't feel that he had done me a service by doing so.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 2:38 PM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Dave, you hit the nail on the head.

I don't know who marked the response in question as correct, but it was most likely a moderator who may or may not be an Adobe employee.

The rationale for people other than the original poster marking something as Correct is so that it's easier to spot. That way the help extends beyond the OP to anyone with a similar question.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 4:21 PM   in reply to Terri Stone

TerriStoneCHL wrote:

The rationale for people other than the original poster marking something as Correct is so that it's easier to spot. That way the help extends beyond the OP to anyone with a similar question.

Provided that it really responds to the original question, and that the marking is correctly done based on how useful such posts can be for future participants facing the same issues.

And I think that any moderator who feels s/he must change the rating already given to a response, should also post a message identifying her/himself and explaining very briefly her/his reasons. I was taught to always face the consequences of my acts, and therefore cannot understand all the secrecy surrunding moderators and their actions in these forums.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jul 21, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

Yes, everyone with moderation abilities (some employees, and the moderators) might have changed the answer to correct.

In the past, there was an option to tag a thread with answered, without giving a person the 10 points, useful when a thread has multiple correct answers.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jul 21, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio, sorry of you feel it's done in your back. But sometimes, it is useful to mark thread answered, for users browsing/searching for an answer.

Nothing sneaky here.

I'll try to post whenever I attribute points, but it takes time, and changes the s/n ratio.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Pierre,

I apologize for my ignorance, but what is s/n ratio?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

PECourtejoie wrote:

Claudio, sorry of you feel it's done in your back. But sometimes, it is useful to mark thread answered, for users browsing/searching for an answer.

Nothing sneaky here.

I'll try to post whenever I attribute points, but it takes time, and changes the s/n ratio.

Pierre, it seems I cannot manage to pass my message. I don't object strongly to any moderator marking an answer as Correct after a reasonable time -say, a couple of days- without anyone marking it, with the provisions of my previous message. What I do object is to moderators changing the grade already given to an answer by someone else. As I understand things, moderators have no easy way of knowing who marked the answer, so it could well happen that one moderator changes the status given to the same answer by another moderator, which is absurd.

As to the points, I find them irrelevant and therefore couldn't care less about who awards them.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jul 21, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob, signal to noise ratio. Sorry for the slang.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 2:51 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Ah, Pierre, I know the term, even the abbreviation, but I never thought about rating posts. How do you rate them?

I may be doomed.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 10:08 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Pat Willener wrote:

A further question should be asked: who should benefit from topics marked as resolved

• the forum regulars ("helpers"), who would see a topic as resolved, and therefore won't need to look at it again?

Not necessarily, but perhaps that would be a reason for users not to mark a thread as resolved untill it is 'completely' done. Please see this thread of mine as an example >

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4650888#4650888

In the best case, both should benefit, but that is not possible with the options we currently have.

• for forum regulars, how many times have we seen a topic that was resolved for the original poster, then a new poster comes and adds "I have the same problem; please help"?  In these cases we have to look at the topic again, anyway.

In such cases wherein no full info (which many times results to be very different to that of the OP) is provided by the new-coming user, I think it would be advisable for Moderators and/or Contributors to just respond to that new poster to open his own new thread, provinding instructions and/or requesting any needed-to-assist additional info.

Reasons could likely be stated as... 'in order to maintain good order sake of forums/avoid confussion (specially when the OP's thread [*] is still being worked out)/get the best possible assistance available from regular contributors'...

[*] Of course, any Contributor may occasionally feel ok to use the OP's thread to assist the new poster, but there are surely times that simply can't be done.

• for forum visitors who are looking for a solution, topics that are marked as resolved, but do not contain any actual resolution are less than useless.

Couldn't agree more!

In this light I think it is best to only mark a post as "Correct" if it actually contains the solution for the initial problem.  Anything else does not serve any useful purpose.

Any additional thoughts and comments are welcome

So please confirm it's right to say there is consensus for:

"Correct" > for posts pointing to an "actual resolution" of main thread/question. To be marked by the OP, a Moderator or a PowerUser-Contributor.

- 'Correct' posts can also be marked 'Helpful' by any other user.

- Erroneously marked 'Correct' posts should be addressed by Moderators A.S.A.P.

"Helpful" > for posts pointing to a "partial resolution" of the problem. To be marked (hopefully following a brief feedback post) by the OP only. No Mod should change/mark it later on as 'Correct'.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 5:40 AM   in reply to RickCP

Hey Pat, I think this example may be worthwhile to add to this discussion:

My original question in the thread linked in my previous post (#24 in this thread), was composed by two queries, main of which was resolved by following your good advice. I therefore marked your post #3 as 'Correct' and your post #5 as 'Helpful'.

At the same time I submitted a 'Thank you' post (#6) which also a reminder (to you or any other user) of that I was still in need to resolve my second query.

That action (Aug, 27) bumped up the thread in the List and it was on page #1 (200+views) all day long, on page #2 (400+views) the next day, and so on... No replies received. On Aug, 30 I edited a misspelling on post #6 but knowing that action wouldn't bump it up again (and 'Modify Date' doesn't help showing '1 week ago'), and I really don't like reminder-posts so I didn't.

Right now it's at the middle of page 7 (30 items per page view) with 655 views - BUT - obviously transparent to regular contributors as it's too far down the list and... green-bubbled!

So, from a normal user's point of view (not because it's my own thread)... and also from a regular user's view... what would the OP's options be to best handle this?

1.a.- Not to mark it as resolved (untill completely done) in the first place, 1.b.- Post a reminder,

2.a.- Do mark it and post reminders untill a reply is received, 2.b.- Unmark it and post reminders...,

3.a.- Open a new thread with a link to the old one, 3.b.- Only open a new thread and leave the old one as it is (partially resolved - greenbubbled).

Just queries / suggestions.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 7:13 AM   in reply to RickCP

Rick,

I am afraid 3a and 3b are the only viable solutions.

I keep 100 posts per page for the busier forums, such as this one, and I really try to look through the lists of threads to see whether there is anything to contribute or just something that may be worth seeing; and I completely ignore the colours of the bubbles (it is much more difficult to ignore the ghastly, or should I say ghostly, contrasting background colours in the threads that are haunting us again).

But unless I am pondering over an answer, I always try to keep up to date (or hour/minute) and stop looking when I reach a thread that has been read.

And I only look at older pages (more than 100 threads back) if looking for a thread that may be easier to find that way rather than through a search.

So I believe that your thread on your page 7, corresponding to some 210 threads back, is doomed, unless someone with a similar issue finds it through a search. That may happen after months or years.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob,

My interaction in the Adobe Forums is similar to yours.

I can imagine that the green "Answered" icon might be helpful to one, who is searching for a solution - if they know what it means. I have never heard a user comments, "Oh, that little green icon was very useful to me." However, I have read many "Has this problem been resolved?" when, upon reading, it has, but the OP (or a MOD) did not bother getting back, and marking things.

I even added an article explaining how Adobe uses the marking of threads, and the "Was this helpful YES - NO?" and just point the OP's to it. Sometimes, they get it, but often they do not.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Thank you Jacob:

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Rick,

I am afraid 3a and 3b are the only viable solutions.

Yes, can agree that's what a normal user would do... but also a reason why there would be so many unresolved or partially resolved threads that are left behind around all forums. I believe that's an important part of Moderators' duties - so we'd all have 'cleaner' Threads Lists.

So I believe that your thread on your page 7, corresponding to some 210 threads back, is doomed, unless someone with a similar issue finds it through a search. That may happen after months or years.

Please note I did left behind that thread on purpose and I'm now correcting it as per 3.a. above. Thank you.

> Note appart >

I keep 100 posts per page...

Can you confirm where do you see this? It seems I'm only enabled for 3 options (15, 30 or 50)...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to RickCP

Rick,

I prefer that moderators change as little as possible; and I believe that it would be quite impossible to avoid unfinished threads, even with a huge effort.

To obtain 100 threads per page, you can add #/?per_page=100 to the URL and then bookmark for easy repeated use.

So the URL of this forum is changed from

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments?view=discussi ons

to

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments?view=discussi ons#/?per_page=100

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

I even added an article explaining how Adobe uses the marking of threads, and the "Was this helpful YES - NO?" and just point the OP's to it.

Sometimes, they get it, but often they do not.

Typical!

Could you please supply a link to your article as it'd appear all related info I'm able to find is http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2327#Become_a_Community_Moderator and/or http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2325

Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob Bugge wrote:

I prefer that moderators change as little as possible...

1... but at least some more active action on removing Correct designations from posts when these have been incorrectly applied, shall prove good to the forums (in general).

... and I believe that it would be quite impossible to avoid unfinished threads, even with a huge effort.

Yes. I wouldn't hold my breath either

To obtain 100 threads per page, you can add #/?per_page=100 to the URL

Thanks for the tip , although I'm -in general- ok at 50.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to RickCP

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to RickCP

You are welcome, Rick.

but at least some more active action on removing Correct designations from posts when these have been incorrectly applied, shall prove good to the forums (in general).

The correction of incorrect Correct labels (if correct) may lead to more correct forums, but we should lose invaluable amusement value in the process.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 4:42 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob Bugge wrote:

The correction of incorrect Correct labels (if correct) may lead to more correct forums, but we should lose invaluable amusement value in the process.

Jacob, do you find this sort of thing amusing?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1058887?tstart=120

Incidentally, I cannot imagine any sane moderator marking as Correct a post (by the original poster!) that doesn't answer anything, so my obvious question is: can the OP mark as Correct a message posted by her/himself? If the answer is yes, I don't think this is a good idea, and the thread in my link shows why.

The same thread also shows the OP marking his own messages as Helpful which, in my opinion, shouldn't be possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 7:23 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio,

In that case, I woud agree with you.

However, I have seen many Replies, by the OP, that ARE "Correct," as they have found answers from other sources, and not from the Replies in the Adobe Forum thread.

OTOH, I have seen many posts, where the OP got great Replies, and at least one, that WAS "Correct," only to ignore the info provided, and then to post, "Hey, despite the lack of worthy comments, I solved the issue myself. It is ___ ." Often, that "solution" WAS provided in the Replies, but the OP chose to not follow those directions, and instead, used the same "solution," but provided elsewhere. Stuff happens.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2012 11:28 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio González wrote:

... can the OP mark as Correct a message posted by her/himself? ...

Please don't trust me for certain but I 'believe' it's only possible when the thread contains no other replies but yourselves. When there is at least one post from another user, you won't see the "Mark as Correct" button available from within your own posts.

At least I did it once. See > http://forums.adobe.com/message/4632740#4632740

Obviously, your example above is not the case. So, who marked it?

The same thread also shows the OP marking his own messages as Helpful...

This can be easily confirmed by yourself - Give it a shot!

The enigma continues...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2012 4:24 AM   in reply to RickCP

OK, I have operned two threads to test this. In the first,

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4684463#4684463

I marked my answer as Correct and I need a mod to try to unmark it.

In the second,

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1062998

I have posted just the initial post, and I need someone to post a message to see if I can still mark as Correct an answer of mine after someone else has also posted in that thread.

Thanks to those who give a helping hand.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2012 4:32 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill, in my opinion, the OP should never be allowed to mark one of his own answers as correct. and the thread I mentioned clearly shows why. If the answer of the OP is indeed the correct answer, I understand that it can easily be marked as so by a mod.

Cooperatioon from other participants would be very much needed for this to work, for which an expedite way to report such cases would be a must. I don't know if the Report button would serve for this purpuse, can someone in theknow please inform us? In my opinion, PMs would not be practical for this.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points