Skip navigation
oztekson
Currently Being Moderated

LR4.1 and Nikon D4 tethered shooting

Jul 1, 2012 10:51 AM

I use LR 4.1 and shoot with a Nikon D4. Lightroom does not recognize the camera (D4), whereas Sofortbild (amother ththered shooting software) does not have an issue. How does it work on LR4?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 1, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to oztekson

It doesn't: http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/tethered-camera-support-lightroom- 4.html

That will probably be remedied in some future release.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to Hal P Anderson

Thanks for this Hal

I just unpacked my new D4 and plugged it into my Mac with LR 4.1 and just "assumed" that I would be on the air as I am with my D3s...  No joy and now I see why.  This just adds to the irritation of LR not being reliable in tethered mode with the D3s or D700 and having to stop and restart during sessions.  Maybe time to investigate an alternative to Adobe.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to oztekson

If you cannot wait, Phase One - Capture One Pro supports tethering of the new Nikon and Canon bodies.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to jameskachan

jameskachan wrote:

If you cannot wait, Phase One - Capture One Pro supports tethering of the new Nikon and Canon bodies.

So does Aperture 3 ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to oztekson

Another alternative is to use 3rd party tethering support, and auto-import in Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 8:44 PM   in reply to sruegnit

Thanks for the pointers - sitting on a D4 with no tether is just no fun... Off to grab Capture One Pro - thanks all for the pointers

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 8:49 PM   in reply to sruegnit

sruegnit wrote:

Off to grab Capture One Pro - thanks all for the pointers

Please report back... - I'm very curious about your experience with C1.

R

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 6:01 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

I just installed Capture One Pro 6 on my Mac and plugged in my D4.  It was instantly recognized but Capture One flipped a warning that it was set for Canon and needed to restart for Nikon.  I just allowed it and it came right back and the D4 was ready to go (except of course I need to learn how to use the software!) :-)  Will try a shoot tomorrow to try it beyond sitting here on my couch.  So far so good!

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to sruegnit

I did my first shoot with Capture One Pro 6 yesterday and shot over a 1000 frames in six hours with not so much as an issue at all.  While I could not do a direct comparison with LR it seemed substantially faster than LR was with my D3s.  It also never had the need for a single restart of any kind.  Now I don't know much about using the program so I stumbled around abit looking for how to put files where I wanted them (never mastered that it put them in it's idea of a Capture location) but it did name the files as I asked and worked flawless in supporting dual monitors as well during the shoot.

I wish LR was as clean to use so I would not be capturing here and then putting the work into LR for the rest of my processing.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 7:31 PM   in reply to sruegnit

I have had similar experiences with Aprture 3 using D4 and D800 cameras. No restarts, no reboots ... just works for hours on end with no issues ... and Apple added support for both of these cameras (and several Canon models) back in May ... Unfortunately, tethered shooting in Lr is so poorly (and slowly) supported in Lr, it is as though Adobe feels the feature is an afterthought for marketing fluff ... I really wish they would make either an honest effort to support the tether feature ... or admit it is too difficult for them to maintain and drop it all together ... it would save we users that rely upon tether shooting the endless waiting for additional support updates ... or wondering if the support will ever come ...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points