Skip navigation
Billy D Stagg
Currently Being Moderated

Auto-select precision in Photoshop CS6 is incredibly frustrating

Jul 3, 2012 9:23 AM

Tags: #photoshop #issue #selection #layers #cs6 #auto-select #shape_layers

I have been using CS6 for a while now and one problem that I keep encountering is the auto-selection of shape layers. Trying to auto-select a layer that's within 10 pixels of a shape layer is impossible without having to zoom in. This is a little hard to explain without images... Cue image...

Annoying-selection-issue.png

If you try to recreate the above image, where the black 20x20px rectangle is a shape and the red 38x38px rounded rectangle is rasterized pixels, you will see that auto-selecting the red rounded rectangle is impossible at 100%.

Is this intentional and just an issue for me? Selecting pixel layers in CS5 was never this annoying. It seems that shape layers have an invisible 10px area around them stopping you from selecting anything below them. This is so frustrating with pixel UI work.

I have hunted for a solution but haven't yet found one and there doesn't seem to be any options to disable either. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Billy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to Billy D Stagg

It is frustrating indeed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 8:02 PM   in reply to Billy D Stagg

I'm using a Mac where right-clicking or pressing Ctrl as you left-click on the red or black will pop up a menu from which you can pick the desired layer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 9:07 PM   in reply to Billy D Stagg

I gave up on Auto-Select long ago and just choose my layers first (e.g., by the means Conroy above has suggested, which also work on PC, or clicking the layer in the Layers panel).

Seems like a bug that ought to be fixed, for those who wish to use Auto-Select.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 9:13 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

For the PC you Right Click Ctrl to get to the layer selection menu. Left click+Ctrl doesn't work

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 9:21 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

Control - Left Click works for me to select the layer the mouse is over.

However, in this case, you're right, Control - Left Click exhibits the same problem as is being described above - it selects the black shape.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jul 10, 2012 12:27 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Lawrence, hence the mention of "on a Mac":

As on a Mac, CTRL-Left click is an alternate way to perform a Right-click.

The corresponding Mac Key to the Pc's CTRL is Command, usually shortened to CMD.

The confusing part of this discussion is that, on a Pc, to temporarily switch to the Move tool when using another one, one holds down the CTRL key, and can left-click to target a layer, if auto-select is on. On a Mac, one would do a CMD-left click.

For more platform peculiarities and their correspondance to the other platform, check out this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/946377?tstart=0 where I'm trying to gather them to make a document.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jul 10, 2012 12:29 AM   in reply to Billy D Stagg

Hello, Billy, I suggest that you search for this issue on the http://feedback.photoshop.com, or create a new thread on the topic.

On Illustrator, there is a preference for the "sensivity" of the smart guides, one could imagine one for the auto-select custom shapes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 5:27 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

A good example of why mixing Mac and PC in the same thread can be so confusing.

My comment here is merely to indicate what I see when I do the various functions described. I have no position as to a bug or whatever.

When I Ctrl-Left click on the Layers palette, I indeed get to select any or all the layers, including linking them up which then shows up when you Ctrl-Right Click on the image. At that point I can revert to a particular layer, if I wish.

I have not been aware of this function, and as it stands, appears to be a useful function. It moves things along better for my work. However, I seldom use Layers for other than Adjustment so the OP's problem would not show.

Too bad I have uninstalled CS5. It would be interesting to see the difference.

So far as changes affecting power users, see the new (Ugh!) crop tool. I have many more steps to take to do a simple crop, and the result to my workflow similar to Billy's. Try to crop 10px off the bottom or sides of an image and know you nailed it without having to deselect the tool to get rid of the (no longer martching) ants.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 10, 2012 5:32 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

I didn't miss the point - I'd call it a bug.

Seems to me the theme of the Photoshop CS6 release is at least partially "increased precision".  This pretty much flies in the face of that.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yeah. It's a bug that was brought up earlier... I bet you see fixed in a CS6 update.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to Billy D Stagg

Just a me-too. Really messing with my workflow (mac).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 4:22 AM   in reply to Billy D Stagg

Wow this is a very annoying feature.

I've replied to this post here:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/auto_select_bug

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 6:04 AM   in reply to charles badland

... I bet you see fixed in a CS6 update.

looks like I'd lose that bet.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 6:03 AM   in reply to Billy D Stagg

We have reported this frustrating issue on the problems board, and it's gathering traction. So if you find this "feature" extremely frustrating as well, please show your support there:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/move_tool_annoya nce_un_precise_targeting

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points