Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating DVD from HD project

Jul 22, 2012 7:39 AM

Somebody somewhere must have had this problem...

I created a HD project (i.e.full HD 1080i) lasting about 2 hours. I succesfully burnt this to AVCHD. I decided to burn the same project to DVD, but this created problems with just the main menu (which would not display as widescreen, only 4x3 with either silver or black bars on left/right of screen - see my post from a couple of days ago - strangely the scenes menu and the footage was ok and this is not a DVD player problem). This was using the "outdoor" wedding template. If I used the "elegant" menu there were no such problems - I now realise this is because the "outdoor" template has an HD logo in the right corner whereas the "elegant" menu doesn't.

Okay - so I exported my HD timeline project as a PAL DVD Widescreen mpg, opened up a new project, imported the saved file and then burnt to DVD, which worked BUT with a noticeable deterioration in picture quality and synch issues. AND I've now got to re-do ALL the scene markers - a real pain. Is this the only way to do this? I understand the logic of setting your project before you begin working so that the clips can be edited efficiently, but surely this shouldn't affect the final exported project as it seems to? Yes, I could use the menu template that is not HD, but I don't want to!

Any help/suggestions? It really shouldn't be this complicated....Using a MAC.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 22, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to martinpat1

There is no reason you should not be able to just use Share/Disc/DVD to output a DVD from your original project. However, this will need to be a dual-layer DVD disc, since you will not likely be able to fit 120 minutes of footage on a standard DVD disc. (At full quality, you can fit about 70 minutes of video on a standard DVD disc.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I know that Encore requires being run using the "Run as Administrator" option to create a dual layer DVD - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

Is that also true for Premiere Elements?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to martinpat1

>not possible to use an HD menu template if recording to a DVD

Of course not... a DVD is SD (Standard Definition) not HD... rather than make the program try to fit HD into an SD screen, use an SD menu for a DVD

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to martinpat1

>any Adobe programmers out there are reading this

This is where you talk to the Adobe staff https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to martinpat1

The easiest workflow to go from an HD BD Project to SD DVD is to first remove the HD Menu Sets, by choosing AutoRun. Then, Export/Share the HD Project to DV AVI (no Menus yet), with the Widescreen 16:9 PAR. Then, create a New Project for DV (NTSC, or PAL, depending on where one lives), Widescreen, and Import that DV-AVI file into it. Then, add the appropriate Markers and SD Menu Sets, and Burn to Disk.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 4:50 AM   in reply to martinpat1

As Bill said, you should output using Share/Computer/DV-AVI, not MPEG. Then you will not have the sync or quality issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to martinpat1

DV-AVI is a very specific "flavor" of AVI. The AVI format is common, BUT can contain myriad CODEC's. With a DV-AVI, you are specifically using the DV/DVC CODEC, that is limited to just specifcations of DVD, for either PAL, or NTSC (depends on where one lives), and a PAR that either produces Standard 4:3, or Widescreen 16:9. The pixel x pixel Frame Sizes will be set to those of either the PAL, or NTSC sizes. The Audio Stream should be 48KHz 16-bit in the PCM/WAV format, which will yield uncompressed Audio. DV-AVI is very mildly compressed, and unless one is doing many such compressions, will not be seen. DV-AVI is also all I-frame, so that the full data for EACH Frame is included in the file. This then allows Frame-specific editing, with no restrictions, beyond being limited to full Frames.

MPEG is a much more heavily-compressed format, and again with several possilbe CODEC's. MPEG-2 is the final Encoding for DVD-Video. At some point, the material WILL be Encoded to MPEG-2, which will then be wrapped in the VOB "container" for insertion into the VIDEO_TS folder, along with IFO and BUP files, that can be played from a DVD player, either a set-top player, hooked to a TV, or via a DVD software player on the computer. The ideal workflow is to NOT Encode to MPEG-2, until the final step in authoring the Timeline to DVD-Video. The reason for this is that MPEG-2 is heavily-compressed, and is also GOP (Group of Pictures), which will only have I-frames about every 15 - 18 "difference frames." This can also limit where one can successfully edit. See this ARTICLE for more info. As one WILL be doing the MPEG-2 Encoding to author a DVD-Video, every time that it is applied, some quality will be lost, so hold off on this, until the final step - actually authoring the DVD-Video.

PrE will do this automatically, when doing Burn to Folder, or Burn to Disk. Note that with some 3rd party authoring software, the user might be required to do this manually, and then Import that MPEG-2 file into the program, where it will NOT be retranscoded again. It is the retranscoding to a heavily-compressed format/CODEC, that we wish to keep to an absolute minimum - we know that it will happen at the end of the workflow, so work hard to eliminate any other heavy-compressions, until then.

Hope that this helps explain why the DV-AVI output for additional editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 6:19 AM   in reply to martinpat1

Just re-read your OP, and in the last line, got the reason for no DV-AVI - you are on a Mac. I had missed that.

Yes, the QuickTime PAL-DV would be the choice.

I apologize, for my mistake - just missed it, and you furnished that info at the beginning.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points