Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Importing files from other applications

Jul 12, 2012 3:11 PM

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to Community Help

I'm wondering what the best practice is. I have a project with a lot of graphics created in Illustrator. The designer created them all on one artboard. At first, I was copy and pasting each element into it's own AI file and placing that in InDesign. I realized I could save some time by simply placing the entire AI file (with all the elements on one artboard) and then copy it and clip it differently depending on which element I want to show. My question is, is this a good idea or will it drive up the size of my ID document to an impractical size. It would make editing the graphics much easier, and it won't be possible to use use variable text (for instance, to show metadata to show the Fig.#) since it would be coming from one file. A big advantage I can see is if I need to change the color of a common area to all the elements, being in one AI file would make that a snap. I haven't done any really large projects like this in ID yet so I thought I'd ask before getting too far into it. It's one of several 25+ booklets with several graphics on each page.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to sinrise

The size of the AI file will have no real affect on the InDesign file size. It's perfectly okay to do it this way. One warning. Do not change the structure of the AI file or all of the placed versions will revert to the appearace you saved it as.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I just did a little test and each time I make a new instance of the big file, the size of my ID file goes up, but not by the same size the AI file is. So, that's good. Seems to me in terms of file size it will be roughly the same as if I used multiple, smaller files. Thanks for the advice!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to sinrise

That is correct. The file is linked, not embedded. The previews will add a bit but that would be the case no matter how you do it.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 6:51 PM   in reply to Community Help

Where the hell is the Place Dialogue Box which I supposedly need to paste an entire PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 7:06 PM   in reply to BrokenEye3

File > Place.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 1:20 AM   in reply to BrokenEye3

If you want to place an entire PDF choose File>Place and click the "Show Options" you then have the choice to import all the pages, or a range of pages from the PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Ah, found it.

Is there a way to automatically place each page of the PDF onto its own page of the InDesign file? Because right now its trying to stick 'em all on the same page, and I don't really see how it makes any sense for it to assume that that's what I want

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to BrokenEye3

Did you hold down the Shift key when you clicked to place your PDF file?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Tried it both ways. Its the same thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to BrokenEye3

Look in your scripts panel in the sample scripts that are installed with InDesign. There’s one in there for placing multipage PDFs.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Ooh, this sounds like just what I need. Do I just paste it in the Scripts folder?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to BrokenEye3

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to Community Help

I have recently been unable to paste Illustrator vectored art into InDesign CS5.5 - perhaps just as recently as having installed the trial version of InD CS6 (upgrade purchased, just not installed yet), no can I Place a pdf created in Microsoft Word or Publisher.  I can to both in CS6, however.  What happened?  The Illustrator vectored art converts to raster art, while the specified pdfs just say can't be placed.  I work at a small commercial print shop. place MS pdf for color management frequently.  I don't want to use CS6 full time yet, only got is at this time because some of our customers have upgraded.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to BrokenEye3

If you create as many pages in your InD file as there are pages of pdf to place, you can just scroll down your document and click to place each pdf page on a different InD page.  Accuracy of position depends on view size, snaps etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to BarbLovesInDesign

your pasting problem may have to do with the complexity of the art (overly complex art will place as PDF, not paths).

The failure to place a PDF is almost always related to the "crop" setting in the import options, which is sticky. At some point is probably got changed to an option for a crop box that doesn't exist in the file. Show the import settings again and change the crop option to something else.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to BarbLovesInDesign

BarbLovesInDesign wrote:

If you create as many pages in your InD file as there are pages of pdf to place, you can just scroll down your document and click to place each pdf page on a different InD page.  Accuracy of position depends on view size, snaps etc.

There are better ways....

One of them is Scott Zanelli's Multipage Importer Script. InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

PDFs from Microsoft products don't usually have crop setting for anything but media, at least not if made using the Save As PDF or XPS/Publish as PDF or XPS (depending on the MS app); I have not had ANY problems with them until recently.  I always check those settings, (although, being an airhead at times, I will check very carefully next time I try one), and my computer is rarely used by anyone else who might change such things. Is it possible that the install of CS6 has changed a common .dll file (yes, I work in Windows 7) or some such thing?  Except for the pasting in of Illustrator artwork, which also went wonky at about the same time, the app seems to be fine, at least for the features I use. And as far as the artwork goes, I have tried a few different files, even just an unfilled box, they are OK with CS6, but convert to pixel art in CS5.5.  I have read on another forum, maybe Print Planet, that other people are having the same problem. It was suggested there to change the clipboard handling preferences; I tried that earlier today, and it made no difference, whether changed in Illustrator or InDesign.  This a not a major issue, more of an annoyance - I get tired sometimes of chasing down links for placed images, and the ability to edit art directly in InDesign is VERY nice...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to BarbLovesInDesign

If you're really pasting paths, I have no idea why you would be getting rasters other than the clipboard preference (I'd uncheck the Prefer PDF box).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Well, just tried a few different MS pdfs, and they are working again, regardless of crop options, and there have been 3 available, not just the one.  It really did flake out for a while there, however.

Still no luck with pasting AI art into InD CS5.5. however.  I can immediatley go to a page in CS6 and successfully have it paste as vectors.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I went back and checked the preferences in Illustrator AND InD, both versions, and after changing the InD CS5.5  setting to have the Prefer PDF off, it will now paste as vectors. Yeah!  Just when I think I know what a setting really means....So, does the Prefer pdf setting have an advantage? In either InD or AI??

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to BarbLovesInDesign

Have you tried trashing the CS5.5 prefs? see Replace Your Preferences

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to BarbLovesInDesign

BarbLovesInDesign wrote:

.So, does the Prefer pdf setting have an advantage? In either InD or AI??

Seems to have a DISadvantage.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I have bookmarked this in case I get myself into major problems sometime.  Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

HaHa.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I have been looking for this script, found a download here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Graphics/MultiPageImporter.shtml.  Seems to indicate only for Macs. Anyone using it for Windows 7? or tried with CS6? (I'll probably be using it full time in a few more months.) I am not very interested in experimenting with a script on a PC.!

Other search results, (and I have not checked all of them) have broken links.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to BarbLovesInDesign

Looks like the same script as the one I linked. It's javascript, so cross-platform. I've been using the one from my link for years on Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 3:57 PM   in reply to Community Help

Is there any way to place Illustrator files with the artboard size as the dimensions of the frame?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 4:13 PM   in reply to sinrise

Show options when placing the file.

And please start a new thread next time instead of hijacking one that's more than 6 months old.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to sinrise

As usual, moments after posting, I find the answer. It's in 'import options' when you are selecting a file to place. In the 'Options' section, 'Crop to:' combo, choose 'crop'.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Sorry about that. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 4:15 PM   in reply to sinrise

Make sure that you have the Show Import Options box checked in the lower left corner of the selection dialog. Then you will be able to choose from the dropdown list which of 5 options for the crop area.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points