Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Question

Jul 23, 2012 12:22 PM

Tags: #tags #template #container #wrapper

I have a really quick question.  If I plan to use two different templates to create one website, can I create one template with a wrapper tag and the other with a container tag?  The reason being that the dimensions for both will be different.  Thanks ahead of time.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 23, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to Ivy54

A wrapper tag and a container tag are the same thing, you know?  Your question is a bit odd as a result.

However you can certainly have more than one template in a site (although it's not optimal), and each template can have a different layout design.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to Ivy54

Not really.  In your mind, what is the difference between a 'wrapper' tag and a 'container' tag?

If the question you are asking is "Can I create two templates for a site, one of which specifies a page width of 800px and the other of which specifies a page width of 600px?" then the answer is "Certainly you can".

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to Ivy54

I don't like using multiple templates either.  A better approach might be to create two CSS Layout classes:

#wrapper {margin: 0 auto; border: 1px solid green}

.layout1 {width: 900px}

.layout2 {width:500px}

HTML:

<div id="wrapper" class="layout1">

This is layout 1

</div>

<div id="wrapper" class="layout2">

This is layout 2

</div>

Does this make more sense?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

I should add, that you can accomplish this with only 1 Template by making the class attribute editable in your Template and Child pages.  See F1 (help) making an editable attribute in Templates.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to Ivy54

So let me try to clarify:

A container tag and a wrapper tag are both HTML elements that can contain other HTML elements.  For example, a div, or a table, or a paragraph, or a span, or a list element are all containers and at the same time can all be wrappers - it's like TO-MAY-TO vs TO-MAH-TO.  An image is NOT a container or a wrapper.  Neither is a break, or a horizontal rule.  Your continued use of these two identical ways of referring to HTML tags is confusing you.

Now, you say "each template has 2 different dimensions..." and I say "HUH?".  Let's cut to the chase - show us an example of what you are wanting to use for the two templates (the code please).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points