Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Interaction btw Illustrator and FontlabStudio

Jul 23, 2012 1:02 PM

Tags: #illustrator #fontlab #studio

I have litle bit problem with communication between Illustrator and FontLab Studio.

I trying to create a new whole font. I am at step, that I have got all alphabet in illustrator (in shapes), as you can see on picture below.

Import to FontLab Studio I simple use COPY/ PASTE.

But when I try copy and paste the "D" letter it filled all letter- you can see on picture:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2i9jhnq.jpg

Where could be mistake?

And second added question may it be more specific to FontLab Studio forum. But I try it there as well. Where I can set a spaces between characters? Mean defaultly?

Thank you very much

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 23, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to TomRomaniuk

What's different between the B and the D?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

He probably didn't close the D properly by converting it to a Compound Path.  And he has to make sure all of his endpoints meet to make a closed "circle" so to speak.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to TomRomaniuk

Tom,

As markerline says.

It looks as if you have created a single simple, or should I say complicated, closed path where the outer and inner boundaries are connected by coinciding straight segments, instead of being closed paths joined in a compound path. You can actually see the straight segment(s) to the right.

If that is true, it should be visible in Illy too, if you select the letter (before making the screenshot).

To create a proper letter, you have to create each boundary as a closed path in its own right, so that a letter with one or more counters (holes as in the D) consist of at least two closed paths forming one compound path.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to TomRomaniuk

From your screenshot, it looks like you are trying to create the counter (the "hole" in the D) by drawing one path which crosses itself. If that's what you're doing, don't. Draw two paths, and make sure their winding direction is correct.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 7:08 AM   in reply to TomRomaniuk

TomRomaniuk wrote:
    [..]

And second added question may it be more specific to FontLab Studio forum. But I try it there as well. Where I can set a spaces between characters? Mean defaultly?

The space to the left and right of a character is called "sidebearing". I suspect the FontLab manual contains more information on this -- I think you can pop up a "character properties" window somewhere so you can enter the values manually.

Or you can do it by eye, by dragging your 'D' and the guides to the correct location. Look:

2i9jhnq.jpg

The red arrows indicate your current sidebearings. Drag the entire 'D' to the left to set the left sidebearing, drag the line on the right to set the right sidebearing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to TomRomaniuk

TomRomaniuk wrote:

is it possible to set the "sidebearings" more narrow? My letters are designed more narrowly. Is it possible somewhere in fontlab studio set this?

Well, yeah, exactly what I said: drag your character to the left to set the left sidebearing and the right guide line to the left to set the right sidebearing. Just try it -- you can make it as narrow as you want.

Or look up "sidebearing" in the FontLab manual to find how to set the values numerically.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to TomRomaniuk

This page has a link for a tutorials section as well as a link to the FontLab manual:

http://www.fontlab.com/font-editor/fontlab-studio/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points