Skip navigation
College_R
Currently Being Moderated

Styles being dropped on network shared folder files in Dreamweaver CS5.5

Jul 22, 2012 11:02 PM

Tags: #cs5.5 #dreamweaver #share #network

Hello, apoligies if this has already been solved but I could not find anything similar. Recently we have upgraded our staff from Dreamweaver CS4 to CS5.5 and are having some issues with pages dropping the stylesheets which are linked relatively. The relative files are located on a shared network drive which is mapped in Windows 7 as a drive (e.g. My Computer shows the drive as R:).

In Dreamweaver design view up the top it reads:

Address: file:///R|/acrrm/tinnitus/course_content/001.html

and there is a yellow bar up the top which reads:

'common_styles.css' is a remote file and cannot be edited.

We never had this issue before so I was wondering if it was a new limitation of CS5.5 or if there was something I should look out for in the site definition.

Interestingly enough I was able to fix this on one machine by randomly toggling the live code/view buttons, havent had any luck doing that to other machines though.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Here are the specs:

O.S: Windows 7

Version: Dreamweaver CS5.5

Site Definition: Network shared drive

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 23, 2012 4:33 AM   in reply to College_R

Interestingly enough I was able to fix this on one machine by randomly toggling the live code/view buttons, havent had any luck doing that to other machines though.

I would have to say that this operation could not possibly fix anything.  I suspect that simply waiting the same amount of time as this operation required would have returned the same result, and it sounds like there is some latency in your network.

Your site is entirely contained on a network shared drive, right?  Or is it that only SOME files are on the network shared drive (R:)?  Also, where is it you are seeing this?

Address: file:///R|/acrrm/tinnitus/course_content/001.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to College_R

The beginning part of that address indicates that DW DOESN'T THINK THAT FILE IS WITHIN THE ROOT OF THE SITE.  What is the path to your local root folder in your site definition?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 4:31 AM   in reply to College_R

Good luck with your issue and your solution. My standard configuration on my LAN is with a remote shared (mapped) drive running as my testing server (and sometimes as my root drive too).  In my case that drive is mapped to the "U:" drive.  I have no problem at all with this configuration, so I know it works OK in theory.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points