Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Font recognition in InDesign CS4

Jul 22, 2012 9:27 PM

Hi,

I am facing one font issue in InDesign CS4.

The issue is, one of my InDesign composer install Univers font. But he actuall install both Postscript (Type 1) and OTF version of Univers font. Due to this, the InDesign does not recoganize the font correctly. (Also, the indesign does not show the font missing information).

That is, when we open the "Find Font" window, it shows the OTF version font is used within the InDesign. And at the same time, in the "Control" pallet, only Postscript version font is showing.

Due to this we found it difficult in applying the OTF fonts.

When we uninstall the Postscript version font, the problem is solved.

My question is, whether InDesign does not recognize the correct version of font when both Type 1 and OTF fonts are installed. Is this bug in InDesign.

Regards,

Gopal

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 22, 2012 9:47 PM   in reply to gopaljay78

It's been way too long since I used InDesign CS4, but I don't remember that being a problem back then.

In more recent versions of InDesign I have installed (CS5.5 and CS6), there seems to be no problem.

Here are two versions of Optima (T1 and TT):

Optima.jpg

Here are three versions of Zapf Dingbats (OT, TT and T1):

Zapf Dingbats.jpg

If there were a problem in CS4, your best bet is to do a workaround as you have done. There won't be a bug fix for it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 23, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to gopaljay78

A lot depends on the internal file naming in the fonts. If they have the same name that ID is reading, then there is a problem. Most OT fonts with Postscript outlines are named as Std or Pro at the end, and ID has no problem distinguishing them, but many based on TT outlines, especially from Microsoft show the old TT names and caue problems when they are installed next to another font with the same name.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points