Skip navigation
fernandoarrabal
Currently Being Moderated

Reader X integration with Windows Explorer and protected mode

Jul 23, 2012 2:55 AM

Tags: #explorer #integration #protected_mode #adobe_reader_x

Hello all.

I'm having some problems with Adobe Reader X under Windows 7 and it seems that I need to disable protected mode. I disabled it by unchecking the related option in edit-preferences, also I created the registry key for the local user (bProtectedMode = 0).

After doing that, the protected mode seems to be disables when I open pdf documents with Reader X, but it's still enabled when previewing documents thumbnails in windows explorer. The issue is that when I open a folder containing pdf files and left click or right click them, two AcroRd32.exe processes spawn and it seems to me that it's a protected mode behaviour (broker process + sandboxed renderer process).

I'd like to know if it's possible to fully disable protected mode so that it remains disabled even when I'm navigating directories with Windows Explorer and documents are previewed. My current Adobe Reader version is 10.1.3.

Thank you very much.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 23, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to fernandoarrabal

You have disabled it. There is no other setting. Restart the app and/or manually stop the two processes and the start  the app again.

Ben

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to fernandoarrabal

Hi Fernando,

Here's a statement that hopefully helps or at least solves your mystery:

While Protected Mode can be disabled for PDFs viewed with the product, Adobe continues to protect you when 3rd party software invokes a Reader process; that is, Protected Mode sandboxing cannot be disabled for shell extensions. For example, when you use Windows Explorer to preview a PDF in the Preview Pane, it starts a Reader process to display the preview. In such cases, Task Manager shows that two AcroRd32.exe processes spawn and that the operation is occurring with Protected Mode enabled.

Ben

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points