Skip navigation
timeofthemoon
Currently Being Moderated

Help with using the pen tool

Jul 24, 2012 6:16 AM

Tags: #issue #overlap #path #tool #stroke #cs6 #jumping #pen #pen_tool #typing #adding_text

I have a few different problems with the pen tool.

1. When using the pen tool I keep finding that the shape I'm doing is slightly overlapping where I've already gone with the pen tool.

If I try and go over that area again the path I've just drawn then jumps and ruins the shape I was creating.

How can I stop this from happening?

2. Also is there a limit to the amount of paths you can create and add text to? I created two paths and typed on them fine but when I added a third path it refused to type. The cursor didn't change to show I could type and if I did click on the path line and try to type jumped to my other path and typed there. All paths were on different layers and none were overlapping, but it is 3 circles inside each other that get smaller if this makes a difference.

How can I type on the third path?

3. When I have done a path and clicked stroke it is only a thin line. How can I make this line thicker?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 24, 2012 6:37 AM   in reply to timeofthemoon

If I try and go over that area again the path I've just drawn then jumps and ruins the shape I was creating.

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels visible?

Could it be you have set the Preferences > General > Snap Vector Tools …?

All paths were on different layers and none were overlapping, but it is 3 circles inside each other that get smaller if this makes a difference.

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels visible?

3. When I have done a path and clicked stroke it is only a thin line. How can I make this line thicker?

What is the selected Tool and does it have Shape Dynamics set in the Brush Panel?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to timeofthemoon

The next one I was creating a car speedometer so it has lines on the outside, dots inside of that and then, where I've done the blue circle, would be the third path where I then write the numbers in. But I can never write on that third path.

Could you post a screenshot with the Layers and Paths Panels visible?

Is the active Path the Work Path or a Vector Mask?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to timeofthemoon

2. Also is there a limit to the amount of paths you can create and add text to? I created two paths and typed on them fine but when I added a third path it refused to type. The cursor didn't change to show I could type and if I did click on the path line and try to type jumped to my other path and typed there. All paths were on different layers and none were overlapping, but it is 3 circles inside each other that get smaller if this makes a difference.

How can I type on the third path?

Ps seems easily confused by the presence of text nearby the path to which you want to add text. Hide the first two text layers then you'll be able to create the third one.

By the way, don't you find it tricky to get the result you want when you transform the path only of a text-on-path layer; the text doesn't update until you confirm the transform. Yet again, Ps is surprisingly non-interactive for a graphics application in 2012, especially one so expensive!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to timeofthemoon

timeofthemoon wrote:

I tried hiding the layers below, it didn't help, it just refused to type. I tried locking the other layers and it wouldn't type. I even tried deleting the other paths and creating the third and it still jumped down to the other layers. I've tried creating a new document and starting over but it's still the same...

Hmm... hiding interfering text layers lets me proceed with creating new layers of text on a path, so I don't know what to suggest.

While I think about it, how do you get the text to be on the inside of a path instead of the outside? I know I've done it before but I can't remember how.

Quick tut at http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/type-on-a-path/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to timeofthemoon

Do you know anything about the other problem I asked about at the start with the paths overlapping?

No, I don't know what's happening there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 12:22 AM   in reply to timeofthemoon

Pretending the lines go elsewhere, say I've drawn a path with the pen tool, gone round the bottom box and that then goes round the two lines going down. So if I go down the one on the left side it hits the previous path I did, but to go up the line on the right side I'd need to go across there. But if I make a point where the two lines meet to do this it then throws the line off elsewhere.

I don’t understand what you mean.

Could you post step by step screenshots?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 3:35 AM   in reply to timeofthemoon

Could you post a screenshot of the whole path?

Paths don't have to be closed and you can start new paths (subpaths) as in the example below:

(click on the screenshots for larger views)

unclosed paths:

path-1.png

the paths selected:

path-2.png

the paths stroked with the bush tool:

path-3.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 6:09 AM   in reply to timeofthemoon

Paths and layers are two different things and you don't need to create a layer to draw paths.

(well there are shape layers and vector masks which use paths)

maybe some of these tutorials will help: (none are specific to cs6, but the basics are the same)

http://www.elated.com/articles/photoshop-paths-explained/

http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=732109

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e 41001031ab64-73a0a.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to timeofthemoon

Okay, I just started learning Photoshop about three weeks ago… I'm a quick learner.

Maybe some of the older pros can correct me on this.

When you're creating the new path for line 5…the path going up

Add an anchor point on the bottom line/path/stroke before you continue creating your path going up…

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 2:14 AM   in reply to WidmarkRob

I don't know if I should say this or not, but I would seriously consider learning Illustrator to do your vector work in, especially "advanced or complicated" vectors. You can import them later to Photoshop to add "photo realism and effects".

This approach just seems so masochistic to me... sorry. Even IF you can do some pretty amazing things within Photoshop and using vectors, the question remains: do you want to, or should you not explore another program within the Creative Suite to do it better and easier?

Just a humble opinion.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2012 2:23 AM   in reply to DocPixel-BMW

Illustrator certainly offers superior path manipulation functionalities … and yet in some regards I consider it inferior to Photoshop’s path manipulation.

Two issue come to mind: the path closing behaviour and the free/perspectival transformation of paths.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points