Skip navigation
von Elling
Currently Being Moderated

AE Crash trying to get the user 'language' registry key

Oct 1, 2011 6:31 PM

This is a strange crash I get just opening all sorts of different AE projects.

<140735243008352> <ASL.ResourceUtils.GetLanguageIDFromRegistry> <0> Unable to obtain the User 'Language' registry key at: Software\Adobe\After Effects\10.5.1\ Defaulting to 'en_US'.

It happens on a wide variety of projects just on opening them. Almost all are 720p. but some have footage, others are just PSD or other image files (PNG, JPG). Many of them have trapcode particular 2.1/form 2, but some don't. 

I have to find another project, open it, and then hope it doesn't cause a crash. If not, then I can go back and open the project that crashed upon opening and it works fine. It may open a few times without problems, and then upon opening it another time, it will crash with the same warning.

I have a MacPro 2.66 GHz quad-core with 16GB RAM running 10.7.1 with an ATI Radeon HD 4870 card with 512MB of memory.

Seems rather bizarre to crash on trying to get a language registry setting, so any ideas for correcting this would be most helpful.  Thanks.

Pete

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 1, 2011 8:02 PM   in reply to von Elling

The text of those messages often isn't that useful for showing where the problem is. Often, the error message is just showing you the last logged action.

Are you using OpenGL rendering? If so, turn it off.

Are you using third-party plug-ins? If so, which ones?

I ask this because using OpenGL rendering and using badly behaved (i.e., buggy) third-party plug-ins are the most common reasons for generic errors like this one.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2011 8:59 PM   in reply to von Elling

Make sure that you have the latest updates for the plug-ins. Video Copilot plug-ins, especially, have had some nasty crashes lately.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2011 9:24 PM   in reply to von Elling

Von Elling, I can confirm having the same experience and solution with VCP Optical Flares.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2011 9:02 PM   in reply to von Elling

I'm having a similar issue with After Effects.  I have Adobe After Effects CS5.5 (v.10.5.1) and it keeps crashing when switching between AE and other programs.  Here's a video of what's happening with mine.

I don't have any special plug-ins loaded except for what came with the program.  OpenGL rendering is turned on and have tried turning it off to see if it make the problem go away and it doesn't make a difference. 

Greatly appreciate any assistance I can get on this.

Computer System

• Dell Precision M6600 Laptop
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2920XM CPU @ 2.50GHz
    • 16GB RAM
    • 2GB NVIDIA Quadro 4000M
      • Driver Version 285.62
      • Optimus is turned off so it's just the Quadro 4000M Card - no Intel HD Graphics in the background
    • 413GB Free (687GB Total) Primary HD
    • 200GB Free (250GB Total) D Drive
    • Windows 7 64-bit SP1 Professional
    • Adobe Master Collection CS5.5 (Website Download)
    • After Effects v.10.5.1 Update (Website Download version)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2011 2:52 AM   in reply to Jerrad Gleim

I have only just installed this and using the trial and am getting the erros on my first use.

adobeerror.JPG

If i can't find a solution then i will most likely be looking for a more compatible product.

OS is WIndows 7 x64 SP1

8GB ram

i5 core processor.

If anyone has a solution then i would be most grateful.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to mannetbet

Possible solution to the AE user 'language' registry key crash.

I was having the same problem. I just tried something that might work for others. I opened AE without any projects. I then imported the project that was crashing, from then on things worked normally. (30 seconds later...) I just opened the project that was saved by that technique and it works normally. I hope this technique works for you too!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to von Elling

This crash is caused by a corrupt UserWorkspace file.

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/10.5/ModifiedWorkspaces/UserWorkspace1.xml

Take them all out and move them back one at a time until you find the corrupt file.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 5:01 AM   in reply to scribling@hotmail.com

i try all this steps and not work for me!!!

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/978047?tstart=0

help =/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to dsupremavids

This worked for me:

Reset your workspace, Disable GPU rendering in all compositions, AND open optical flares, goto options, in options window goto file -> Preferences -> Disable GPU Rendering. Then goto file and OK changes.

Hope it helps. For some reason it was still crashing when disabling through the effect window, and only stopped crashing once I disabled it inside the options menu as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to von Elling

Oddly, enough I was getting this error because of an issue with an illustrator file.. It seemed to be corrupt, When loading I noticed I would get this error when it reached that file during loading.. I resaved the illustrator file and it fixed the problem..

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to jtw0728

It definitely was a plugin for me. I had installed the .ico plugin to allow Photoshop to save .ico files. It didn't cause any problems for anything but AE. When I removed that, AE was happy.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 11:52 PM   in reply to von Elling

Hey.. Im getting the same error but its only after I installed AEscripts Ease and Wizz.

and it only happens when I try open the UI panel from the window menu.

Has anyone had this issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 7:26 PM   in reply to von Elling

i did try most of  the posts.

Only thing that 's working for me was importing that project again.

But it was about 50% chance to not get that error pop up

and then i replaced all my footages with the same footages again

For me, it solved the crashing error

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points