Skip navigation
Trevor Dennis 5,925 posts
May 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

A decent Non DSLR video camera?

Jul 20, 2012 6:01 PM

Guys, I suspect this is a done to death question, and that the answer changes every six months or so.  After the best part of two years attempting to get serious with Premiere Pro, I am starting to feel comfortable with it, and able to work way faster than I used to.  I am currently using a Canon 1DMK4, and Sony HC1 to record footage, (plus a little Canon GX1 as a carry around camera) and while the Canon has a definite advantage in image quality, it is a PITA to use compared to the little Sony.  So I am thinking about looking for a video camera that would match or better the DSLR footage, but have the userbility of the HC1.  

The problem is, I have no idea where to start.  I remember a thread in the Hardware forum at the beginning of this year where Harm mentioned several cameras, and quoted some as being acceptable by the BBC.  Where are things at nowadays?  I have even noticed 4K cameras slowly moving towards afordability. Is that trend going to continue?  Is there a website that deals with the subject?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 21, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

>Is there a website

I did a Google for

camcorder review

and many sites were listed

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

>personal opinions

I didn't say anything until a day after you posted, just for that reason

I use and like a Canon Vixia HFS100 for my home hobbyist video, but didn't think that is what you want... and it has been replaced, anyway

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2012 9:21 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

I am thinking about looking for a video camera that would match or better the DSLR footage, but have the userbility of the HC1.  

I think there is probably only one option available at the moment (assuming the pricier Digital Cinema cameras are off the table) and that is the Panasonic AG-AF100.

But even that has some usability flaws, such as no autofocus and no servo zoom.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Actually the AF100 does have autofocus . Use a lens with appropriate AF coupling

...and the fact that it does not have servo zoom is that the AF100 is a camera body only. ie a Production Camera with interchangeable lenses

The user decides what lens to attach to it but currently there are no consumer lenses that have integral servo control.

Professionals would mount a proper cine zoom  lens and use a professional servo such as a Hayden

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to shooternz

That can make it difficult to use handheld.

Remember, in addition to the superior image of a larger sensor, the call also included the same functionality as the handheld Sony HC1.  On that front, the AF100 fails by not having built-in servo zoom.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

It was not designed as a handheld camera so obviously it will "fail" in that regard.

Remember, in addition to the superior image of a larger sensor, the call also included the same functionality as the handheld Sony HC1.

It was you that recommended it to the O.P (post 4) ...not me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 5:36 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Take a look around this site.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/

For a ton of information from users of most avavaible cameras.

It has a bit of a leaning to prosumer and indie users but shou;ld confuse you more ..or offer some great search and research paths.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points