Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Good examples of DPS on Android?

Jul 24, 2012 4:31 PM

Tags: #publishing #content #android

Hi,

Are there any good DPS magazines on the Google Play store that you'd recommend for investigating, reviewing and pinching ideas from ?

I've had a look but been severly underwhelmed by the experience, which means that it's either a superb opportunity to make a killing or the technology is nothing like the Apple-controlled iPad market. I appreciate there's a few overlays which are not compatible, but having spent an hour I've yet to find something I could show a client as a good example of the potential.

Regards,

Simon.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 24, 2012 11:20 PM   in reply to Angusdog

You may see the full database here of DPS apps using this link: http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishinggallery/all-apps

Filter all Android apps and catagory that your App would fall under.

Do check out Staff Picks and Top Ten Viewed Apps.

A few features like Inline Videos/PDF pinch and zoom etc  are not supported in Android. You'll find details in the documentation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 11:31 PM   in reply to Angusdog

I am also looking for the best android dps magazine yet. the few magazines

I tested where slow, crappy to use, to small to read, iPad size on android,

or killed/crashed my Motorola xoom completely.

not satisfied yet.

(mobil gesendet)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

I wonder if the smoother transitions supported by Android 4.1 Jelly Bean will improve the appearance of DPS apps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to Alistair Dabbs

We won’t know until the content viewer works on it. It crashes on the Nexus 7.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 6:23 AM   in reply to Angusdog

We are working very hard to get a very good experience for Android users, too. We make each a version in 1280x752 and 600x1024 especially for Android od the games magazine elektrospieler. We have to cut some of the features for the Android version, but most of the stuf (videos, fullscreen artworks and screenshots) are running. It even works on our Transformer TF101, so it should be working on newer or stronger devoces (like xoom or Galaxy Tab) as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.geildanke.elektr ospieler

The english version is alway a week behind for the newwest issue:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.geildanke.elektr ospieler.en

Of course we are vey eager to hear improvement hints and tipps from you.

We just learned this weekend, that our app is not running on Nexus 7 as well

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 6:29 AM   in reply to Richard Brammer

it should run on nexus 7 though, I have good results and a working viewer

with DONE:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.de.nordsueddesign.DO NE.A2011

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

It's funny, Johannes. Your Android-Viewer-App knows, that AIR is not installed and wants it to be set up.

elektrospieler App though (which is built with the newwest Viewer Builder (just two hours ago) doesn't ask for AIR. So on a brand new Nexus 7, it doesn't work, because a reader doesn't know, that AIr has to be installed.

Update: Even after installing AIR DONE isn't running on the Nexus 7 (german edition). It just stops and sais:

"DONE" wurde leider beendet.

java.lang.NullPointerException in AdtSocketBridgeClient.java

onServerReady method line 158

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Sep 3, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

When creating content for Android devices, you should keep in mind that the new 1280x800 7" devices such as the Nexus 7 include a larger system nav bar. While the 1280x800 10" Galaxy and Xoom tablets display 48-pixel nav bars, the Nexus 7 displays a 75-pixel nav bar. To avoid scaling, consider creating a 1280x725 rendition (h only) for the Nexus. If you're creating a dual-orientation folio, creating a 1205x725 folio and articles avoids scaling on the Nexus. If you already created 1232x752 folios and articles and don't want to build new articles, create a smaller folio rendition that has the same aspect ratio as your source articles. For DPS Tips, I created an 1155x705 folio and imported my 1232x752 articles. (It actually took me more time to calculate the figures than to import the articles.)

When did you create the viewer app that doesn't work on Nexus? You should be able to use the newest version of the Viewer Builder to create a viewer that works properly on the Nexus. DPS Tips works fine on my Nexus. Once you get it created, let me know if you'd like me to install your app to test it.

One other thing to consider. The Kindle Fire does not display the Android system nav bar. Creating 1024x600 and 1280x800 folio renditions should work well for the current and upcoming Fire models.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to Richard Brammer

Richard, you are right, I installed a previous version of DONE first and

remember to have air installed during that, and later updated to the newest

version of viewer builder.

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi Bob,

thanks for your lines. We are working with 1280x752 for 10" and 600x1024 for 7" (so we exclude the navigation bar for kindle fire users and Android-readers do only have small black borders on the right and left (in _v).

Just try and install the newest elektrospieler (in german or english as well they are both built with the newest viewer builder and they don't work on my Nexus 7) Links like above: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.geildanke.elektr ospieler

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

While DPS Tips runs perfectly neither does elektrospieler Games-Magazine nor DONE magazine. What's the trick, Bob?

I rebuild the elektrospieler App from the scratch, but it just hangs, as soon as I start it (no library). I don't see what I could be doing wrong. Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Sep 4, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to Richard Brammer

No trick. I deleted and reinstalled Viewer Builder. Then I created a new viewer app with "Android Market" selected for the Marketplace option. I did not select the strict renditions option. When I submitted the new viewer to Google Play, it started just fine on the Nexus, but it initially displayed the 1024x768 renditions rather than the 1232x752 renditions due to the 75-pixel nav bar. I created 1155x705 folio renditions and imported my 1232x752 articles. They look OK on the Nexus.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks Bob for your tips. I will try to delete and reinstall viewer builder. Is this generally a thing you do with every new update of viewer builder?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Sep 4, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to Richard Brammer

Yes, I always delete the existing version of the Viewer Builder when a new version is available.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Wow! Thanks Bob, deleting and reinstalling Viewer Builder helped the problem, and I was able to get elektrospieler to work on the Nexus 7, finally.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 2:19 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Hi Johannes, I've been trawling the web and dps discussion for some answers to why my ipad app doesn't work well on a Samsung Galaxy.

Do you know if the animations created in DONE are MSO's or .oam's?

Also if you know how to get a simple html contact form to work with dropdowns?

I found with the contact form in DONE just like my muse contact form, the keyboard pops up but you can't see what you're typing and it doesn't input the text?

Any help on this issue would be appreciated as my clients want dps on Android with working contact forms.

Thanks,

Nick.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 5:13 AM   in reply to damjanh1

Your best bet with Android at this point is to wait for the new native

viewer which should make things much better on that platform. Should be out

soon.

|
    Mark as: