Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Aftereffects CS6 Disk Cache

Jul 23, 2012 4:40 PM

Hi,

we are having some issues with the new disk cache.

writing diskcache seems to take extremely long. we did some test and it came down to the fact, that a single 8 bit 1080p frame (which has a diskcache size of around 8 MB) takes about 3-4 seconds to write.

we don't have ssd-drives in our machines yet, but our drives are pretty fast. and yes, we use extra drives for the diskcache.

once the diskcache is written, everything works great and fast. it's just that writing a 10 sec. hd-sequence to disk takes minutes, which make the feature kinda useless (not even talking about writing cache to disk right with the ram preview).

anything we are missing here?

cheers,

Ronny

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 23, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to ronny-anz

Make sure that you're not using the system disk for disk cache. Make sure you've got plenty of extra room. Make sure you're using a fast drive. SSD would be fastest.

If you don't have these options, then limit the size, empty often or turn it off.

Read this for more information.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to ronny-anz

You didn't say if your cache was on the boot disk. You didn't say if the cache disk was a portable or external drive. If the drive is external and it's not a USB3 or Thunderbolt you're going to be looking at slow read write times.

A little more about you system would help a lot.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to ronny-anz

I  think the bottleneck is reading and writing the source files through the network. Try copying the source files to a local data disk and see if this improves performance. If it does, then talk to your IT folks about the network.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to ronny-anz

I'm not sure what to suggest now. Please let us know if you find a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 5:42 PM   in reply to ronny-anz

I just ran a test on a 3D text layer extruded with 2 lights. The comp is 6 seconds. It took about a minute to render. The disk cache went from 0 KB to  1.2 GB in the time it took to do the Ram Preview. IOW, I didn't see any delay in writing to disk cache.

I wanted to to make sure you realized that when you render to disk cacke the frames are rendered. (blue line). It takes the same amount of time to render to disk cache as it takes to render to ram preview.

Have you seen this demo of caching from Brian Maffitt? You should be able to see the same kind of results.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to ronny-anz

ronny-anz wrote:

... btw. did you do your tests with an ssd drive?

A USB 3 Toshiba 1TB portable drive attached to my MacBook Pro. As soon as the frame was rendered (blue line appeared) it was on the drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to ronny-anz

Just to clarify your problem I want to make sure that it is taking much longer to write to disk cache than it takes to render a ram preview. I spent last week working on a windows machine and I gave it a test by setting up a simple and a complex comp. I set the resolution of both to full and ran a ram preview. 5 seconds on the simple comp, 40 seconds on the complex (tons of particles, motion blur and layers). Then I cleared all cache and purged all memory and ran the first test, Cache Work Area in background. The bg render took the about same about of time with both comps. I then Cleared all cache, purged all memory and ran another Ram Preview. Times were just about identical as the first time. I then, with the Ram Preview still in memory, I selected Cache Work Area in background and, as expected, because the only thing that should have happened would have been a file copy, the BG process only took about a second for both comps. I then Purged All Memory. This left only the blue line (disk cache) for both comps. A ram preview was nearly instantaneous for both comps telling me the Disk Cache was used.

If you're seeing huge differences in render times for ram preview and Cache Work Area in the Background then please let us know.

The machine was not set to render multiple frames simultaneously because most of the plug-ins used in the project I was working on were not MP aware and I was also bouncing back and forth to PPro all the time. In every test, and in all of my work, as soon as the work areas were rendered they were on the disk. The only way to change the write to disk time was to change the project.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to ronny-anz

ronny-anz wrote:

is there any way to bring this to the attention of the developers?

Yes there is: file a bug report. Include as much info as you can. Link them to this thread. They will greatly appreciate it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to ronny-anz

Check your MP settings. It sounds like you're using MP rendering and background cacheing isn't going to work very well with that. Turn off MP and give it a check.

Rendering to the disk cache is entirely a different thing than writing to disk cache. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 7:49 PM   in reply to ronny-anz

Well, that's really weird. No matter what I do cache to disk render times are almost exactly equal to ram preview times.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points