Skip navigation
Guro.Khundadze
Currently Being Moderated

Need some advices about hls-live and hls-vod

Jul 24, 2012 2:14 AM

Tags: #flash #live #hls #hds #ios #apache #fms #4.5 #h264 #rtmp #fms_4.5

Hello, i need some advices about hls-live and hls-vod applications.

Ok we have 24/7 Multiple Live Streams with dvr built on FMS (rtmp for flash player),

also we have built edge/origin infrastructure to serve many concurrent connections and everything works well for rtmp. (sometimes it has problems when there are more than 10k conncurent connections but its ok)

now we want to do same for ios/android devices using livepkgr.

hls-live app works good, but when we are trying to read f4v files from hls-vod app it works very slow (1 connection only)

does anyone tested hls-vod on many connections? how it works? does it have problems?

also we are thinking to convert f4v files using f4vpp to mp4 and serve them via apache HTTP streaming without packager, will it be faster and better than hls-vod? is it worth to convert all this files?

and one more question, what is the best way to count active connections on hls-live and hls-vod apps.

Thanks and sorry if my english was bad

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 1:44 AM   in reply to Guro.Khundadze

Hi,

Could you please tell me what you mean by using 'hls-vod app'? There is no application required to server on-demand content over HLS. hls-vod is the default location directive in Apache via which you can playback media files under root_install/webroot/vod. You only need to request for the url in quicktime or sfari browser as so :

http://<server ip>/hls-vod/<media-file>.m3u8

The packaging and fragmentation happen on the fly. No external packaging is required.

If you can elaborate on the process you're using and your FMS version, I could probably help you out better.

Thanks,

Apurva

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 4:24 AM   in reply to Guro.Khundadze

Yes it should. When you say it works very slow, do you mean that the playback is slow or is it taking time to make the connection?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 4:32 AM   in reply to Guro.Khundadze

Are you trying hls on an iOS device? Is there sufficient network bandwidth between the server and device?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points