• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to apply one character tag to paragraphs having different tags?

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using FrameMaker 8 on Windows.

I'm trying to create a character tag that marks certain paragraphs so they're easier to find later. The only thing I want to change is the color. I want all the other attributes, regardless of the paragraph tag, to remain as they are.

Here's what I've done:

1. First, I highlighted the text to be changed. The text in this paragraph had font size 10 and regular weight.
  2. I selected New Format from the Commands menu, named it "Rewrite" and added it to the catalog.

3. In the Character Designer, I set the size and weight to "As is", selected the new color, and clicked "Apply".

So far, so good - the text is the same as before in every way except the color.

Later, I wanted to mark some other text with this character tag. This text was in a paragraph that had a font size of 14 and bold weight. I highlighted the text and applied the "Rewrite" character tag.  I was expecting to see the highlighted text change color, but remain the same otherwise.

However, instead of changing only the color, the character tag changed the font size to 10 and the weight to regular. It seems that, when I created the character tag and selected "As is" for the font size, this was interpreted as meaning, "Use the font size that is currently defined in this paragraph tag as the font size for this character tag." Sure enough, when I looked at the character Designer, the size was set to 10 and the weight to regular, instead of "As is" for both.

Am I misunderstanding how to use "As is?" How can I get it to work the way I want it to?

Thank you!

Joyce Wermont

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the only mistake you made while you created "Rewrite" was not clicking "Update All" button after you applied it somewhere i the paragraph.

Delete "Rewrite" and make it again and make sure once you click apply,you should also click update all and see if that works.

Harpreet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CAVEAT: I'm working from memory, and this may work differently in later releases.

To create a completely As Is character format, deselect all text before using the character designer. The "SeSet the values for the properties you want in the format. Click Create, or Update All.

To make it work without problems, select all the text in a paragraph, but don't select the paragraph mark, then apply the character format to the selection. Applying a character format to the paragraph mark confused earlier FM releases - not sure if it's still true in later releases.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

jwermont wrote:

Hi,

I'm using FrameMaker 8 on Windows.

I'm trying to create a character tag that marks certain paragraphs so they're easier to find later. The only thing I want to change is the color. I want all the other attributes, regardless of the paragraph tag, to remain as they are.

Here's what I've done:

1. First, I highlighted the text to be changed. The text in this paragraph had font size 10 and regular weight.
  2. I selected New Format from the Commands menu, named it "Rewrite" and added it to the catalog.

3. In the Character Designer, I set the size and weight to "As is", selected the new color, and clicked "Apply".

So far, so good - the text is the same as before in every way except the color.

Later, I wanted to mark some other text with this character tag. This text was in a paragraph that had a font size of 14 and bold weight. I highlighted the text and applied the "Rewrite" character tag.  I was expecting to see the highlighted text change color, but remain the same otherwise.

However, instead of changing only the color, the character tag changed the font size to 10 and the weight to regular. It seems that, when I created the character tag and selected "As is" for the font size, this was interpreted as meaning, "Use the font size that is currently defined in this paragraph tag as the font size for this character tag." Sure enough, when I looked at the character Designer, the size was set to 10 and the weight to regular, instead of "As is" for both.

Am I misunderstanding how to use "As is?" How can I get it to work the way I want it to?

Thank you!

Joyce Wermont

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Joyce,

If all you want the character format to do is change the color, be sure to set all the OTHER properties to As is or comparable.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines