Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Camera Callibration in Bridge

Jul 19, 2012 2:57 AM

Tags: #on #camera #macbook #new #install #callibration

I have a new MacBookPro and have re-installed CS5.  In bridge I have previously had my camera profile in the camera callibration.  It is no longer there.  Do I need to download anything more?  Am I missign something. 

I know this question has been put up before but I did not understand the answers given.  Please can you help me. 

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to curiousworld

I am not sure I understand your question, but if you are talking about camera profiles they have never been available in Bridge.  Camera profiles are only available in Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) and they are only availalbe for RAW files.  Adobe Camera RAW is available in either Photoshop or Bridge.  If you are processing a RAW file with Adobe Camera RAW, you will find them under the Camera Calibration Tab of Adobe Camerea RAW. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to curiousworld

Guess you have not installed the camera profiles since re-installing CS5. 

I'm pretty sure that going through the automatic installation of the free Adobe DNG Converter 7.1 will also install all the latest camera profiles.  Otherwise, you're going to try to hunt down the camera profiles by yourself and install them in CS5 yourself.

There's no such thing as "Adobe Camera Bridge".  There is, of course, Adobe Camera Raw which can be hosted either by Photoshop or by Bridge.  Bridge doesn't open or process anything, it's just a file browser that hands the image file to the appropriate application, whether this be Photoshop, Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe Illustrator or even Microsoft word.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to curiousworld

Also make sure to update the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in to version 6.7

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to curiousworld

You're most welcome.  Please feel free to come back if you need further help. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 6:44 AM   in reply to curiousworld

Most supported cameras have sets of profiles, including Adobe Standard, Camera Standard, plus additional Camera X emulations (like Portrait, Vivid, Landscape, etc.).

Any additional profiles will be supplied by third parties, or generated by third party software or Adobe utilities. For example, ColorChecker Passport, or Adobe DNG Profile Editor.

In my own case, I have a home-made profile for each camera, generated using a GM ColorChecker card and Adobe DNG Profile Editor. The profile name, as listed in the Camera Calibration tab, is one I made myself.

So, if you are missing a profile which is not one of the usual profiles supplied with Camera Raw and its updates, you need to work out where it came from, because it wouldn't have been from Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to curiousworld

curiousworld wrote:

…but in my camera calibration in Bridge the camera profiles are still not showing!…

Please read post #3 again, this time a bit more carefully.  You mean the camera calibration menu in Camera Raw, not Bridge.

Adobe Camera Raw can be hosted either by Photoshop or by Bridge.  Bridge doesn't open or process anything, it's just a file browser that hands the image file to the appropriate application, whether this be Photoshop, Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe Illustrator or even Microsoft word.

curiousworld wrote:

…installed adobe DNG converter 6.7…

In that same post #3, I specifically advised you to install the Adobe DNG Converter 7.1.  There is no reason on Earth why you should be running version 6.7 of the Adobe DNG Converter.  You should always be running the very latest version, which means updating it three to four times per year.  The Adobe DNG Converter is not tied in with the latest version of the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in nor with your version of Photoshop.

Go back to the Adobe site and download and install the Adobe DNG Converter 7.1 now.  You don't have to worry about the obsolete version you installed.  The new version will install the updated profiles transparently.

In post # 8, you have been given important information and further clarification on the nature of camera profiles by Yammer P.  Please read that post too.

Message was edited by: station_two

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 12:45 AM   in reply to curiousworld

curiousworld wrote:

the list in the Camera Calibration Tab of Adobe Camera Raw only has 2 things, Standard (2010) or (2003). Help?

They are not profiles. They are the Process Versions, which determine how Camera Raw handles images and settings. Process 2010 was introduced with version 6.

The profiles for each camera are listed in the selector below.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 12:49 AM   in reply to curiousworld

curiousworld wrote:

OK so i have update to 6.7, installed adobe DNG converter 6.7 rebooted, purged the cache but in my camera calibration in Bridge the camera profiles are still not showing!!

FYI...

You didn't need to install DNG Converter unless one your cameras is unsupported by Camera Raw 6.7, in which case you would always install the latest DNG Converter (currently 7.1), regardless of your version of Photoshop.

Also, there was no need to purge the cache.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 12:56 AM   in reply to curiousworld

curiousworld wrote:

I have installed 7.1 and I think the camera profile I must have had from installing the original camera software when I bought the camera a few years back.  Other than that I am not sure.  The generic Camera profiles in Camera Raw are OK on their own are they not?  Regarding the installation of DNG 7.1 how can I bring these camera profiles into Raw?

Can you remember the name of the missing Camera Profile(s)? No amount of installing Adobe updates will bring back a third party profile.

Stop worrying about DNG Converter. If your cameras are supported by Camera Raw version 6.7, you simply don't need it for use with Bridge.

You can use any of the supplied profiles with your camera—Adobe Standard is usually the most accurate, and Camera Standard is the one which emulates the manufacturer's look most closely. There may be even older profiles listed, like 'ACR 4.3', for example. These are provided for compatibility with images last processed with older versions of Camera Raw.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 1:56 AM   in reply to curiousworld

curiousworld wrote:

…Regarding the installation of DNG 7.1 how can I bring these camera profiles into Raw?…

The DNG 7.1 you downloaded came in the form of an installer, did it not?  Well, the installation automatically brings the latest profiles into Camera Raw.  You don't need to do anything else.

The reason I advised installing the latest version of the DNG Converter is because it (7.1) will give you all the latest profiles, which will include some that were not available in the Camera Raw plug-in 6.7 that you run with your version of Photoshop.

Additionally, you may well come into ownership of a newer camera which ACR 6.7 cannot open, and the latest DNG Converter, if you keep it updated (3 or 4 times per year), will allow you to convert raw image files from future camera models.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 2:00 AM   in reply to Yammer

Yammer P wrote:

…You didn't need to install DNG Converter unless one your cameras is unsupported by Camera Raw 6.7, in which case you would always install the latest DNG Converter (currently 7.1), regardless of your version of Photoshop.

Just to avoid further confusing the OP, as I indicated in my previous post, "the reason I advised installing the latest version of the DNG Converter is because it (7.1) will give you all the latest profiles, which will include some that were not available in the Camera Raw plug-in 6.7 that you run with your version of Photoshop."

"Additionally, you may well come into ownership of a newer camera which ACR 6.7 cannot open, and the latest DNG Converter, if you keep it updated (3 or 4 times per year), will allow you to convert raw image files from future camera models."

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 10:02 PM   in reply to curiousworld

If you had some custom camera profiles that are now missing, it may be because those files did not get copied over from your old to your new computer.  If you still have the other computer, you will need to find what directory the custom profiles are saved in and then copy the profiles to the same directory on your new machine.  Since I am using Windows, I can't help as far as the name of the directory is concerned.  There are a number of other camera profiles such as Adobe Sandard, Camera Standard, Camera Landscape, Camera Portrait, etc. that I believe are contained in updates to Camera Raw.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points