Skip navigation
Harvest_Meadow
Currently Being Moderated

My 3D tool isn't looking right.  Can you help me?

Jul 24, 2012 7:05 PM

I know how to upload the 3D tool and put the texture on it but when I do the texture is too light.  I don't know why it's not appearing the same color as the original file.  I am not sure if I am not loading it right.  I had CS5 and I am loading it the same way.  Well...as similar as the software will allow.  This one is so different.  Anyway, can anyone tell me how to fix this issue?  Thanks so much for the help.

I have Vista and CS6.

Thanks,

Harvest

#

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 24, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to Harvest_Meadow

Please give us more details.  Are you trying to import a 3D file such as an .OBJ or a .DXF into Photoshop Extended CS6?

What steps are you taking and how do they differ from the way you import the object into Photoshop Extended CS5.0?

Did you inadvertently apply a new light to light the object and make it appear "less dark"?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 8:17 PM   in reply to Harvest_Meadow

The easiest thing to bring up all of your 3D panel information is to switch to the 3D workspace from the Essentials workspace drop-down menu on the top right of the PS interface.  I got the cube to show up in the Layers panel when I did File>Open>untitled.obj .  PS automatically asks you if you want to switch to the 3D workspace if you do this for the first time.   It automatically adds a 3D layer for you to the obj when you open it.  Try to use Open rather than import and if you have to work in a secondary file then copy your 3D object into that file once you have manipulated the obj file to your liking.

I hope this is somewhat clear but continue to ask questions to iron out the difficulties you're having.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to Harvest_Meadow

yes you can use replace texture.  i believe you can also create a new texture and apply that as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Harvest_Meadow

i often use it,but now, it is too difficult for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to markerline

>> I don't know why it's not appearing the same color as the original file. <<

That is likely because we have a different lighting scheme in CS6, we create a default IBL (Image Based Light) in the environment tabIBL.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 5:43 PM   in reply to Daniel Presedo

Hi,

You might also be getting a material which loads texture maps in CS5, slightly different in CS6 and can lead to a 'brighter' appearance. For instance, I have an .obj file that loads a texture map in to 'Gloss' in CS5, but loads it to 'Specular' for CS6 (we removed 'Gloss' and 'Shine' texture maps in CS5, replacing it with 'Roughness' in CS6). So even importing the CS5 light presets and turning of the CS6 IBL, I still see a 'brighter' rendering due to the Specular map.

The underlying difference in the UI, between CS5 and CS6, comes down to separating the 3D panel from CS5 into 2 panels in CS6 (3D and Properties). Hopefully with a little use, the CS6 UI becomes a lot more usable than the CS5 UI; For users that are haven't struggled mastering the CS4 and CS5 UI, it's a lot more approachable.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points