Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Setup question and advice for Lightroom 4.1

Jul 25, 2012 7:16 AM

Tags: #catalog #install #performance #external #3.6 #4.1 #hard-drive

Hi,

I'm upgrading from LR 3.6 to  LR 4.1 on my Windows 7 laptop with 8 gigs ram. I  need to free up space on my internal hard drive, so I'm moving my images to a 1T external hard drive, connected via usb 2.0 unfortunately.

• question 1: Does it matter in what order I do the above? In other words, should I do the upgrade to 4.1 first and then move my images/catalogue to the external hard drive or should I move my images and then upgrade?

I've heard talk about how LR 4.1 is slower than  LR 3.6, so I'm, a little worried about performance.

• quesiton 2: Does anyone have an specific advice about configuring LR for best performance considering my files will be stored on external hd via USB 2?

(I only use this computer for web surfing and imaging programs. Besides LR, I also run Camera Raw,  PS CS 5, and Premiere Elements. I  was thinking about making two catalogues- still images which I would move to the ext hd and movie clips which I would keep on the internal hd. Does that make sense? )

thanks in advance,

D

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to ziggycat4

ziggycat4 wrote:

Hi,

I'm upgrading from LR 3.6 to  LR 4.1 on my Windows 7 laptop with 8 gigs ram. I  need to free up space on my internal hard drive, so I'm moving my images to a 1T external hard drive, connected via usb 2.0 unfortunately.

• question 1: Does it matter in what order I do the above? In other words, should I do the upgrade to 4.1 first and then move my images/catalogue to the external hard drive or should I move my images and then upgrade?

Doesn't matter, as long as you do it properly

I've heard talk about how LR 4.1 is slower than  LR 3.6, so I'm, a little worried about performance.

• quesiton 2: Does anyone have an specific advice about configuring LR for best performance considering my files will be stored on external hd via USB 2?

It is slower for some people, and not slower for other people. I don't think anyone in these forums has figured out what the reason is for slowness on some computers. The only thing you can do is try it on your computer. By the way, as far as I have read, the performance problems in Lightroom are not related to USB 2.

(I only use this computer for web surfing and imaging programs. Besides LR, I also run Camera Raw,  PS CS 5, and Premiere Elements. I  was thinking about making two catalogues- still images which I would move to the ext hd and movie clips which I would keep on the internal hd. Does that make sense? )

Nope, multiple catalogs doesn't make sense to me. You are just reducing your efficiency by having multiple catalogs here. One catalog is easier, that way you never have to switch back and forth, you never wind up importing into the wrong catalog, you can search across all your photos and videos, etc. One catalog is the way to go.

By the way, did I mention that one catalog is the right way to go? Because if I didn't mention it, let me state that one catalog is the way to go.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to ziggycat4

It doesn't really matter what order you do things in. But I'd advise you to do the two steps separately - don't confuse them. You do mention HD space, so address that issue first and install LR4.1 later.

Assuming you resolve the space problem first, remember to move any folders using LR - not Explorer. You know about the question marks for missing folders/photos?

You're right to be concerned about LR4.1 performance, but it's a few people and a much smaller number than 4.0.

As for catalogues, use one - don't fragment control of your "media assets" (horrid term).

John

ps Paige was quicker off the mark - agree with his advice

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to ziggycat4

Thanks, John we do seem to agree a lot, and that scares me

I  was thinking about making two catalogues- still images which I would move to the ext hd and movie clips which I would keep on the internal hd. Does that make sense?

I should add that the part about stills on external HD and movies on internal also doesn't make sense to me. Keep things simple, import into folders named by capture date (this is a Lightroom default) so your photos and videos and in the same folder, and then use LR filtering tools if you want to view/use only the stills, or view/use only the videos.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to dj_paige

I'm not sure who's the more scared

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers