Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

1 indd file for smartphone, tablet devices

Jul 25, 2012 8:08 AM

i posted this question in indesign forum but maybe here's the better place to ask this question.

i've gone to this DPS yet. as Indesign can create an app, just wonder if i need to create a different documents for different devices.

i want to have the same master document that can target different devices. however, resolution is vary in different devices. that's why i want to confirm.

anyone know?

thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to commonguy101

That all boil down to what you are willing to do.

Yes you need different Documents for the different Tablets as DPS does not yet support the liquid layout feature in CS6

So if you were designing for a 7" you would design a document tailored to that, and if for the iPad then a seperate document tailored for that

Unless you're happy to have all your iPad pages a smoothscroll (Longer than the height of the screen) and integrate the layouts so they work seamlessly

Or you could learn HTML and flow your content in.... but I wouldn't know where to start with that one!

Hope this helps!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to tim.hughes

A small correction to the above: you can use the CS6 alternate layouts feature to create one InDesign document that contains layouts for different devices. You can also use the liquid page rules feature in InDesign to help automate the generation of that second device layout contained in the same file.

This is a great workflow enhancement and for many types of content will really reduce the time required to create two different devices.

What we don't currently support is the ability to have one layout that runs on multiple devices and adapts on the fly (at device render time) to the different screen size.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Interesting Neil, you say that Liquid Layouts are now supported through the import process in the folio builder?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to tim.hughes

No, unfortunately. Documents that contain alternate layouts still cannot be imported via Folio Builder. You have to manually add them.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Ahhh that's what I meant in my first response - that it wasn't possible to import all these liquid articles

But maybe in the future!

Thanks for the clarification though!

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to tim.hughes

That’s not what he said.

You can use the liquid layout features to create alternate layouts. The end goal of all of this is to have one liquid layout that will conform to all devices.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Just confirming the possibilities Bob

Thanks for your input.

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to commonguy101

If you use alternate layouts in CS6 the content, by default, is connected across layouts. This means if you update the text on the master layout (the first one in the file) that will be reflected as an out-of-date link in the links panel for the other device layouts.

Alternate layouts and liquid page rules work hand-in-hand. If you choose you can use liquid page rules to speed up the process of laying out your alternate layouts. You are not required, however, to do so. If you like you can just generate an alternate layout without any page rules applied. You'll get a layout that doesn't fit at all on the new page, but can then move the elements around manually to get your desired design.

Neil

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points