Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop Help | 3D workflow in Photoshop Extended CS6

Jul 24, 2012 2:08 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 24, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to Community Help

How do I change the position of the ground plane if I've already pasted in a vector object and tweeked the 3D look of it to the way I like it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 3:41 PM   in reply to MikeJRW

Hi MikeJRW,

Are you talking about an actual 3D mesh ground plane or the default 3D grid.

You can move the position of the ground plane by selecting the plane with the move tool. The axis handles should show up and you can drag the handles to move.

3D move.jpg

You can't change the position of the grid, however.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to Sharon Huang

I guess I want to lower the ground plane to match the ground of my background scenery so that I can have a 3d object hovering above it and apearing to cast a shadow on the ground, but I can't seem to do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to MikeJRW

Try using the 3D mode: "Drag 3d object" in the move tool. With no object selected, you can pan the view up or down, which moves the grid as well.

Is your background scenery a 3D object as well? or just a 2d layer?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 4:26 PM   in reply to Sharon Huang

Background is just a 2D photo.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 4:42 PM   in reply to MikeJRW

In that case, did "drag 3d object" function on my last response help you achieve the result you wanted?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 10:25 PM   in reply to MikeJRW

Hi MikeJRW,

For a 3D scene, you have a few variables that can be moved in order to composite the 3D elements into a 2D background image. There's the "Ground Plane" which defines a flat surface where shadows and reflections display, there's lights which can control the direction and size of shadows, there's the object's location in space (not always resting on the Ground Plane), and then there's the camera view and attributes which defines perspective and field of view.

Most basically, you want to adjust the camera view (click on the canvas with the Move tool selected, until you see an orange outline around the document view) in order to move the ground plane around relative to what you're viewing of the background image. There are options for how the camera moves in the tool options bar, upper far right.

To get everything aligned so that the composite looks realistic can be tricky and time consuming. In Ps CS6, we've added a few things to make it easier then in earlier versions. The first thing you might look at trying to do is defining the background image's horizon and perspective using the Vanishing Point filter (search Vanishing Point filter for usage instructions). Now, assuming you have a Ps generated 3D extrusion from a vector path, export that layer out as a Collada (.dae) file, so it can be imported into the background image file. To import the 3D mesh file go to 3D > New 3D Layer From File... and the 3D mesh should align much better with the perspective of the background image. You might need to adjust the scale of the 3D object.

You also want to adjust the lighting direction to match that of the background image, so the shadows are in the same direction and length. You can do this by selecting the lights in the 3D panel to get a light control widget showing on-screen, or by Shift+ click directly on the shadow and then dragging it around.

I did a real quick overview here, and there are many step by step tutorials that go into more detail. I hope this helped.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to Sharon Huang

If I try to select the ground plane grid, I don't see any "drag 3d object" function, all I can do is swivel it around. Is the ground plane considered a 3D object? I need the horizon line to sit lower on the page instead of dead center.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to MikeJRW

Hi,

The 'Ground Plane' grid is not a mesh object. It can only be 'rearranged', by moving the camera view.

To make the horizon line lower, you need to rotate the camera (you'll likely need to also move the camera position to get the 3D object back in the viewport).

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to SG...

"click on the canvas with the Move tool selected, until you see an orange outline around the document view" When I click on the canvas I get either a blue outline (environment selected) or yellow (3D camera) around the documnet view. Don't see a "tool options bar". There is the propeties panel, and a tool presets panel. Tried the vanishing point filter but it doesn't seem to work, it's not affecting the current ground plane.

I basically just need to move the horizon line of the current ground plane down to about a third above the bottom of the page so it matches the scenery image, this should be simple!!!

...Actually maybe not, need to lower the ground plane as I said before not neccessarily horizon line I guess.

Message was edited by: MikeJRW

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to MikeJRW

MikeJRW,

this is the "drag 3d object" I was talking about. You can pan the view when you have no object selected

drag.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to SG...

Okay I figured it out! You can click on the canvas until you get the yellow outline and 3D camera properties panel, then click on the coordinates icon in that panel. Increase the Y value in the move column and then the angle. Sharon thanks for showing me where that drag tool is, guess that does the same but seems tricky to adjust that way. Thanks SG for all that info. I'm on strong meds for allergies haha so kind of out of it, also went from CS4 to CS6 just a couple days ago lol. This new PS 3D stuff is very very cool, it's outragious that I just pulled off what I did, looks pretty darn good. Can't share it for now, but thanks very much guys. It's basically a stage lit with spotlights with a 3D marble version of a logo floating above it. Used a blending mode so the rays of light passed in front, and adjusted lighting angles to match.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to MikeJRW

I'm glad you found them helpful. Photoshop.com has a lot of resources for the 3D feature that you may find helpful.

http://www.photoshop.com/products/photoshop/3d

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to Sharon Huang

Cool thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 6:14 AM   in reply to Community Help

I have Photoshop Cs6 Extended...

But my 3D can't be used..I hope someone can help me..

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 12:22 AM   in reply to Community Help

Apart from the linked online tutorials are there any other documentation and help pages for using the 3d features in CS6 ? All the other pages are based on using 3d in CS5 extended ...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to Community Help

This question is related to Photoshop CS6 3D capabilities.

I am a designer that has several product package designs as flat 2D print Illustrator files. I want to use the panels to create realistic 3D mock-ups. Ones that can be rotated etc. I have looked everywhere but find very little tutorials for this at all and the software is not so comprehensive that I am able to figure it out on my own. Can anyone help?

I am new to using 3D in photoshop but not new to Photoshop, Adobe or 3D basics.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2013 1:29 PM   in reply to stonealicious

Packaging comes in a multitude of shapes and materials. How about providing images, or links to images, of packaging that's constructed in a similar fashion to yours.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points