Skip navigation

InDesign CS5 Crashes with Warning Dialog Box

Jun 15, 2012 3:36 PM

Latest reply: richardkeenanco, Aug 30, 2012 7:48 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

It appears that MacOS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) introduces this problem as well. The provided Applescript seems to exclude 10.8 (and 10.9?) systems, so on my Mountain Lion system it wouldn't run. However, I crashed InDesign CS6 when exporting an IDML file. I edited the AppleScript to remove the system check and ran it for InDesign CS6, I was then able to export and IDML from InDesign CS6 on Mountain Lion.

I hope this helps someone...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to bswets

I suspect that will be coming up a bit and since I’m in the market for a new laptop, it’s good to know.

Thanks for reporting it.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to bswets

If you've already installed the fix in Lion and upgrade to Mountain Lion, will you still have this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to bswets

bswets, was this the just released version of Mountain Lion or the beta?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to Scott Worthington

This was the GM which we received as part of the developer program. We've confirmed that it's the same build as the release today. I can't CONFIRM that the problem I experienced was due to the warning dialog problem, but I tried exporting the same ID CS6 file to IDML twice, and it crashed both times. I then hacked up the AppleScript, applied it to CS5 and CS6, and tried exporing from CS6 again. This time it worked.

Unfortunately I don't have any extra machines to confirm my finding with right now. It may have been a fluke. I'm hoping someone else can confirm.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to bswets

bswets, thank you for letting us know, we had thought 10.8 included a fix at this point. If that is not the case, it seems there is more to be done. Is anyone else seeing the same thing with a GM or Release copy?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 5:50 AM   in reply to Scott Worthington

I will most likely be installing 10.8 in the next day or 2 on my RMBP and will be able to tell you then. It did run fine in ML under parrallels, but I suspect that whatever is causing it in the new MBP's is not there in the virtual machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to Reed L

I just want to say, that this worked fine for me on my MacBook Pro 12", Mid 2012 with Indesign CS 4 … on Mac OS X 10.7.4 Lion …

Thanks for sharing this!

I will install Mountain Lion this evening and will keep you posted, if it still works.

Gerd

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:13 AM   in reply to GerdGöse

Has the previous fix worked the same in Mountain Lion? Or is it a whole different problem? I am a bit apprehensive of upgrading if it will turn my RMBP into a paper weight for production purposes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to wonderings1111

If it’s a production machine, I could give you a whole list of clichés.

But this one should suffice for now: If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Well Bob, its already broke with Lion and I am using a fix from this thread. I would not have upgraded from Snow Leopard if it was able to run on a RMBP, but Lion is whats needed. There are some nice features in Mountain Lion that I like and make it a bit similar to Snow Leopard, which is why I want to know if the problems are the same in Mountain Lion as they are in Lion, because I have a work around for the moment that keeps me productive. Would just be nice to have a fix from Adobe, but this at least keeps me working.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to wonderings1111

I am just going to try it out, but make sure that I have a backup with Lion. That way if I have to go back, I can.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to wonderings1111

There is no way anyone can assure you it will or won’t work. If you have the guts, then try it, but I have a personal policy against doing in place operating system upgrades. I’m not sure what’s involved in doing a clean install but I would certainly go that route to be safe.

FWIW, I ordered a new MacBook Air yesterday so I’ll get my own opportunity to find out what does and doesn’t work.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I do the testing in my office, it does not hit all the other machines till I work out the bugs. Also if need I can restore from a backup in about 45 mins so its not a huge loss. Like the current problem it effects people with a specific machine, so asking people with similar models who are currently affected does give some insight.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to wonderings1111

I installed Mountain Lion on my RMBP yesterday night. I cant see any issues with CS6, illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign seem to be working fine with no crashing. I cant be sure about Indesign with the problems that happened in Lion as I used the preference file that was linked to on this thread to avoid some warning dialogue boxes. But it is functional, and things seem much faster in Mountain Lion, its a good upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 5:01 AM   in reply to Reed L

Great news:

I was having the same problem with CS4 on mid-2012 MBP with 10.7.4, but I'm really please to announce that I've just upgraded to Mountain Lion and CS4 seems to have fixed itself!

I decided that I wouldn't do any patching/moving/updating until after Mountain Lion was released (in case there were more issues thrown up).

So just to be clear, CS4 was crashing on error dialogs like everybody elses, I didn't do any of the things on the solution page, installed Mountain Lion and now CS4 works again!

On a completely unrelated note - is anyone else finding that ML seems a bit slow?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to SparcyMarc

I find it faster but I did a clean install on two machines. A brand new Air and a late 2008 MacBook that had Snow Leopard on it.

I don't trust in place upgrades and would rather invest the time up front to get the machine cleaned out and set up the way I want it.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 7:48 PM   in reply to Scott Worthington

Yep, Solution 1 worked for me - can export PDFs without crashing on the blank WARNING dialog. Worry over. Thanks Scott!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (6)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points