Skip navigation
Djxyz0
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to use an object as a selection path?

Jul 25, 2012 11:01 AM

Tags: #paths #convert #object #slection_path #select-all

I know in photoshop you can make shapes with the pen tool and then covert them into a selection path.
I was wondering if there is such similar feature in Illustrator

For example with the picture I posted here, what I want to do is be able to select the objects that are in contact with the black object on top without having to individually select them or use the "lasso" tool

It would make things easier with a "Select all objects under or above" option, theres only the "Select next object under or above"

Example.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to Djxyz0

There could be some work around I do no know of but the answer to your question is no, there is no such feature in AI

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Not in Illustrator, but it exists:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3660142

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to Djxyz0

Illie hasn't got a polygonal lasso tool like Photoshop. Dunno why. Wish she did.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to Djxyz0

Djxyz0 wrote:

Thanks but even with that it would be hard, lets say I want to select one diagnal road? I'd have to have a steady hand, and it'll be even harder If I had more and smaller squares

what do you mean? don't relay on your hands, use the line tool or the pen, draw a straight line, run the script.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to Djxyz0

Djxyz0 wrote:

It would make things easier with a "Select all objects under or above" option, theres only the "Select next object under or above"

the script works exactly the way you originally asked, you draw a path, with the pen if you want, then run the script and everything under this path of yours will get selected.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points