Skip navigation
DaveDowson123
Currently Being Moderated

Strange screen behaviour and exit causes Elements 10 to stop responding

Jul 25, 2012 3:47 PM

Tags: #error #elements #10 #eyefinity #radion

I downloaded the trial version (10) today. I also checked for updates (one update - RAW problem - I installed it)

I am new to Photoshop (and elements) - but immediately knew something was wrong when my window had "see through" areas to the windows . I resized the window and I got a lot of ghost lines appearing (see attached screen shot).

If I load a file or multiple - they load, but the thumbnail does not appear at the bottom of the screen unless I click on the "space" where they would be

When I exit, I get a windows 7 message "The application has stopped responding", at the same time I get an error in the event log (Faulting application name: PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe, version: 10.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e70c16d. Faulting module name: PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe, version: 10.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e70c16d. Exception code: 0xc0000005)

If I do not load a file, then the app exists OK

I have 3 screens configured with Eyefinity attached to a Radion HD 6970 card. My CPU is i7 and I have 8GB RAM. Windows is 64bit

I used teh chat window to talk to an agent - who said he could not help me (trial version) and I had to post my question here (I first looked for similar problem - but found nothing)

I have de-installed my video driver and re-installed the latest from ATI ... same problem describved above

screen-1.jpg

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,867 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jul 25, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to DaveDowson123

Go to the control panel and check dpi scaling under Appearance or Display.

It’s not uncommon to see a setting of 125% or higher to improve screen readability but PSE requires a dpi of 96 or 100%

Whilst the Editor Menu will appear at 120% to 149% the Organizer Menu (and the advanced button in downloader) won’t. Sometimes the mouse or tool cursors are distorted.

Try a setting of 115% to 120% otherwise use 100%. A common display resolution, notably for notebooks/laptops, and netbooks is 1024 x 768 but PSE requires a screen height of 800 for full functionality. If your height resolution is out of the range 768 to 800 try experimenting with the slider/settings.

For more information click here - missing organizer menus

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to DaveDowson123

There have been a few problems posted here with using multiple monitors.  I don't remember if any were resolved, but use the "Ask a Question" box on this forum's main discussions page to search for "multiple monitors", etc.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,867 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jul 25, 2012 4:13 PM   in reply to DaveDowson123

Try using floating documents and then drag/arrange pallets or the main editing window to a secondary monitor.

From the editor menu click edit à preferences à general

Then check the box “Allow Floating documents in Full Edit Mode”

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,867 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jul 25, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to DaveDowson123

Sorry I can’t think of anything else. Seems monitor set-up related as I notice the options bar partly missing from the top of your menu.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,867 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jul 26, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to DaveDowson123

Yes, support for the trial is a problem. Just out of interest have you tried temporarily reducing from the native resolution for your monitor?

Downloading the ASA tool may help you pinpoint the log error.

http://www.adobe.com/support/loganalyzer/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points