Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What might you change here?

Jul 25, 2012 4:32 PM

Would very much appreciate any comments/suggestions re. this proposed build.

• Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932
  • Primary Hard Drive: Crucial m4 256GB SDD
  • 2nd HD: Seagate 2TB 7200-RPM 64MB Cache
  • 3rd HD: Seagate 2TB 7200-RPM 64MB Cache
  • Two IcyDock Hot Swap Caddy-less Front 3.5” Drive Bays

• Video Card: Gigabyte GTX670 2GB DDR5 OC
  • Power Supply: CoolMax ZP1000B 1000W 80+ Certified Modular
  • Processor: Intel Core-i7 Socket 2011 3820 3.6GHz 4-Core
  • Motherboard: MSI Big Bang-XPower II
  • Heatsink: CoolerMaster 6 Heat Pipe Cooler

• Memory: 32GB (8GB x4) Crucial Balistix CAS9
  • Optical Drive: LG 14x Blu-Ray Burner
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to Tym_Ribich

The only thing I personally would change out is the Blu-ray burner.  Or at least, I'd research it first.  I'm partial to Sony/NEC burners (Optiarc) because for the past several years they've consistently produced higher quality burns than most other hardware.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to Tym_Ribich

I would look at a different PSU. This model is not modular, only Bronze labeled, hampered by four separate 12V rails and is unclear about the internal components. I would have a serious look at the Corsair AX series or Seasonic, all fully modular and at least Gold+ rated.

With the Crucial Balistix sticks, which are probably Micron based sticks going by their CAS ratings, you can not populate the 8 slots without a good likelihood of getting into stability problems. I would suggest G.Skill Ripjaws-Z series (max 1.5V) or going for the 8 x 4GB Samsung (1.35V) sticks.

If budget allows go for the i7-3930K CPU. Have a look at what I'm building: Adobe Forums: Planning / building a new system. Part 1

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Appreciate the input Harm. I will run this by the guys doing the build for me and see wha they come up with.

Harm Millaard wrote:

I would look at a different PSU. This model is not modular, only Bronze labeled, hampered by four separate 12V rails and is unclear about the internal components. I would have a serious look at the Corsair AX series or Seasonic, all fully modular and at least Gold+ rated.

With the Crucial Balistix sticks, which are probably Micron based sticks going by their CAS ratings, you can not populate the 8 slots without a good likelihood of getting into stability problems. I would suggest G.Skill Ripjaws-Z series (max 1.5V) or going for the 8 x 4GB Samsung (1.35V) sticks.

If budget allows go for the i7-3930K CPU. Have a look at what I'm building: Adobe Forums: Planning / building a new system. Part 1

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 9:02 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm Millaard wrote:

I have theCorsair PSU, Harms mentions, and so far it has been just great.

I beleive that some people might overlook the signifigance of the PSU. It is a very importat part of the PC, and if you get into hardware trouble with a high quality PSU, it might be easier to point at other components.

Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 6:26 PM   in reply to Tym_Ribich

I have also had great service from Optiarc, but then have also had great service from my LG DVD multi-drive/burner. Both have been flawless in their operation.

Pioneer was once highly recommended, but recently, the user reports have not been THAT good. Not sure if there were some weak models, or if things changed?

Otherwise, I have no comments, other than good luck, and enjoy your new box.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm Millaard wrote:

If budget allows go for the i7-3930K CPU.

Couple of follow up questions...

I have decided to upgrade the processor and am wondering what the "observable" (for lack of a better term) difference in peformance between these more expensive units would be?

To upgrade from the current spec:

Intel Core-i7 Socket 2011 3820 3.6GHz 4-Core

To:
    Intel Core-i7 3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Unlocked (add $280.00)

or:

Intel Core-i7 3960X Extreme 3.3GHz 6-Core Unlocked (add $760.00)

Same general question re. the SSD boot/program drive. Other than a faster boot time, do the solid state drives offer significan advantages with PPro CS6?

Willing to shell out the extra $$$ but would like to get some idea as to bang for the buck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 12:10 PM   in reply to Tymb

Rough estimate of the 3930K versus 3820 is about 20% performance improvement because of 6 cores versus 4 and 12 MB L3 cache versus 10 MB, depending on your workflow and source material. Maybe a bit higher with complex codecs and less with simple codecs.

Performance difference between the 3930K and 3960X is very small and not worth the price IMO. Both 39xx CPU's are unlocked and if you overclock them a bit to say 4.5 GHz, there is no discernible performance difference to warrant the extra cost.

SSD's offer no advantage in PR performance, only as you correctly stated in boot time and loading programs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 5:11 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Great-- thanks again. Looks like it's the 3930K and I think I'll stick w/ a 500GB standard 7200 HD as well. I'll come back with some benchmark tests when ready to roll.

Harm Millaard wrote:

Rough estimate of the 3930K versus 3820 is about 20% performance improvement because of 6 cores versus 4 and 12 MB L3 cache versus 10 MB, depending on your workflow and source material. Maybe a bit higher with complex codecs and less with simple codecs.

Performance difference between the 3930K and 3960X is very small and not worth the price IMO. Both 39xx CPU's are unlocked and if you overclock them a bit to say 4.5 GHz, there is no discernible performance difference to warrant the extra cost.

SSD's offer no advantage in PR performance, only as you correctly stated in boot time and loading programs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 5:23 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Looks like my multiple Adobe IDs from the distant past has confused this thread. "Tymb" and "Tym_Ribich" are both ME! I'll blame Adobe for messin' things up back when the forum format changed and I couldn't figure out what in he** was going on... 

I'll try to be more conisistent in the future!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points