Skip navigation
evillo
Currently Being Moderated

How to make my psd-webpage fit all screen resolutions

Jul 25, 2012 5:09 PM

Tags: #photoshop #psd #fit_screen #web_page #psd_files

I used to assign certain width numbers for my psd webpages but it creates horizontal scroll bars on small monitors. I have been looking around and searching to find a solution for this. I actually found many different suggestions but they don't seem to work. Can i do something with my psd file using photoshop in order to make the webpage fit all screen sizes? I don't like horizontal scrollbars appearing when my site loads. On the other hand, I also don't like un-necessary space appearing on large screens when my site loads. I use photoshop 7. Your help is highly appreciated guys.

Evillo.

Webdesign Program.

Message was edited by: evillo .. Sentence correction.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 25, 2012 5:16 PM   in reply to evillo

In my experience, web designers sometimes experiment with dynamically changing web pages, where the various elements size themselves to fit whatever space is available, but then they choose a fixed width page, assuming a minimum monitor size  (most choose 1024 x 768).  Ultimately a fixed width is easier to manage.

Look at Adobe.com, Apple.com, Dell.com, or most other big name sites...  All fit a fixed width, proper for a 1024 pixel window, and space expands on the left and right if the window is wider.  I put a nice background gradient on my own web pages to help break the monotony of the empty space on the sides a bit.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 25, 2012 5:34 PM   in reply to evillo

Sounds right.  I've seen some (e.g., AMD) try busy backgrounds, but that tends to be distracting, and I know I found myself stretching windows very wide to try to see what was out there.  Light colors seem to be everyone's choice.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 11:20 PM   in reply to evillo

Read up on web design. You can swap different backgrounds based on media queries and CSS rules or jQuery just like you can suppress scrollbars. You're looking for the solution on the wrong end.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 29, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to evillo

You can also code your pages as a html table that is 100% the width of the Browsers window than code the rows and columns.  The table will adjust to the Browsers windows width and only have horozontal scroll bars when the browsers windower is narrower then the minimun width needed for the table.  I only played with that idea when I set up my home page years ago.  My web site is only a toy not maintained I mostly use my web server as a place I can upload files to then post or send link to these so I can share files like programs, raw picture files, Action set and scripts.  http://www.mouseprints.net/   some images links and text example here http://www.mouseprints.net/Photoshop.html

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" border="0" width="100%">

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points