Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

My Win7 Ultimate will not allow LR4 to download.Note:Current security settings won't allow.

Jul 25, 2012 4:27 PM

My Win7 Ultimate will not allow LR4 to download. Message is"current security settings do not allow file to be downloaded". I have shut down all antivirus programs...still no luck. ?What to do?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to great george

More detail about your scenario is needed:

Windows 7 doesn’t download anything, itself.  If you are using a browser to download and it is a browser security message then poke around in the browser settinsg to see if you can see a setting to enable or disable to allow downloads.  If you are in a managed network environment it is possible that the downloads are disabled by a group policy that cannot be overridden by the normal user and you’d have to take up your issue with your supervisor or network administration personnel.

Assuming you’re using Internet Explorer, you might also just try another browser, like Firefox or Chrome available that might have more relaxed security settings.

The source of the message should be somewhat obvious and whatever is issuing the message is the thing to tweak the settings of.  This really isn’t a Windows Security forum so don’t expect anyone to give you click-by-click instructions for each browser type and version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 1:33 AM   in reply to ssprengel

I also had a hard time installing LR4 since I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate. Thanks for the information ssprengel! Now I know why and what to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to great george

I also could not download LR4 using Win7 Pro and IE9.  I also got the nonsense about using another browser because Adobe does not have programmers competent enough to handle one with adequate security.  I have not really kept count, but it seems I get more security updates from Adobe than Microsoft.  Wish these guys could finally get their act together and be able to handle one of the most common configurations.  That's why I have it. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to John-Markiel

The framework Adobe is using for their LR4 download page doesn’t recognize IE9-native mode—there’s no onclick javascript emitted for the Download now button, and so you have to put the IE9 browser into IE7-compatability mode using the broken-page icon at the right of the address bar, before the click-event of the Download now button does anything useful.  This is a different problem that getting a security warning, though. 

The security warning may be due to the fact that the file being downloaded is an EXE (an executable file) which would be prohibited by a different set of browser security rules compared to other files that might have a ZIP extension for example, so rather than the OP’s problem being an issue with Adobe’s incompetence, it is an issue with the local browser security settings. 

Not generating the Download now onclick javascript when IE9-native mode is being used is more about Adobe incompetence.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points