Skip navigation
marcopolois101
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe 10 Freezes my PC

Jul 25, 2012 2:25 PM

I bought Adobe 10 because 7 does not support the new D800 RAW files.

Unfortunately I cannot use the software at all as it freezes my pc.

In fact even if I dont open it the auto uploader freezes the PC after about 3 mins of inactivity.

So having worked this out I managed to open the program without the uploader. I can look at a couple of D800 photos and guess what it freezes.

The machine is windows 7 and has a rating of 7.4 so fast as is comes.

If has newest drivers.

It has no issues with any other software.

It has no issues with Nikon NX2 which is really fast

It had no issues with lightroom (except that is now uninstalled as it does not do D800 raw.)

It had no issues with 7

I was very happy with 7 now I have nothing I can use all because Adobe wont upgrade old software for the D800 raw format.

Are there any other products that actually work that you can recommend for the D800 raw?

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jul 25, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to marcopolois101

Is your system 64 bit and how much Memory(RAM) does it have. The D800 is a 36mp camera so the files much be fairly huge unless you are shooting with lossless compression.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to marcopolois101

PSE10 runs fine on my Windows 7 Professional with 4GB RAM.  I have Dell Optiplex 760 - not a very powerful machine but good enough for my needs.

With regard to your PSE7, Have you tried updating to Adobe DNG Converter 6.7.  It can convert the file to universal format.  Try this link:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5375>

Read the notes and download the update.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jul 26, 2012 6:04 AM   in reply to marcopolois101

I tested a sample file for the D800 obtained from DP Review. It was 43mb in size and opened quickly into camera raw and then into the PSE10 editor. And I’m only using an old 32 bit Windows Vista machine. Admittedly handling a large batch would be quite different but PSE is only a 32 bit application; so is limited in the amount of RAM it can utilize. Personally I would have upgraded to Lightroom 4.1 which has 64 bit support and a superb new camera raw engine (7.1) with new tools for highlights and shadows.

Click to view

Nef2.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points