I switched to version 2 of the Spry Menubar due to sub-menu problems associated with iPads. Now I am having problems with sub-menus within IE8. It is not possible to *quickly* scroll down the menu without the sub-menu disappearing. Here is an example:
It works ok with CS6 in the design view, but not on the local test server or on the production server. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your help.
I talked with Adobe support in India about this. They stated that this was a new error and that a technical supervisor would contact me. It apparently works on Safari but not IE8 or IE9.
Version 2 wasn't released yesterday, so it makes sense that I am doing something incorrectly, but I cannot figure out what it is.
I will let you know what they find out.
You got an .htaccess file that states the charset to be iso-8859-1, yet your document shows a charset of utf-8.
Unfortunately, IE cannot cope with that, hence it goes into Quirks mode, or said differently, it uses the IE5 rendering engine.
I checked my .htaccess file. It contains four lines, but none of them refer to a charset so I am not sure what I should do.
You had also suggested that I try the following in a different forum thread.
>> In the meantime have a look at the JS and ask yourself why you left
>> when a touch screen does not recognise a hover event. Normally one would leave the JS file in tact and change the value in the constructor.
I do see this line in the SpryMenu.js code but I have have not altered the code. This code is straight from Adobe/Spry's 1.7 version which has a widget that builds the code.
Just to clarify what you said to Gail, I believe that Spry 1.7 does provide a good user experience for iPad users as Gail could see from the sample code that I provided in my link, but the IE8 and IE9 problems remain.
I certainly don't have the expertise that you have. If I need to look in a different place for an .htaccess file, please let me know.
For some reason, IE goes into Quirks mode. That is the reason why your menu bar misbehaves in IE
Maybe if you fixed the above, IE will start to render properly.
I appreciate you providing this. I took a closer look at the errors and I made a few changes but this validator service continued to kick out errors. In fact if you put Adobe's own web site into this application (http://www.adobe.com), it comes up with 44 errors. As I mentioned before, the Adobe Widget Browser application for Spry Menubar 2 is essentially creating my code so I doubted that this was an actual problem.
While I have been interacting with you, I have also been awaiting an update from Adobe's senior technology staff for a solution. I heard from them today. Here is what Adobe said: Spry Menubar 2 has problems with IE 8 and IE 9 (which I already knew). The first person with whom I spoke at Adobe suggested that my customers running the IE 8 and IE 9 browsers should switch to a different browser, such as Chrome. I explained that asking users to switch was not a solution -- that's about 35% of my users. I then asked to speak with a manager / supervisor.
My conversation with the supervisor went a bit better. He told me that those running IE 8 and IE 9 on a Windows XP machine are ok. Vista is a problem. Windows 7 is also iffy. My machine is a Vista and my wife's machine is a Windows 7. It does not work on either machine for us.
I told him that Spry Menubar 2 should be withdrawn from their site or there should be a warning to insure that people are aware of the problems. He didn't say that they would do that. He suggested that I should check back with him in a couple of weeks. I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling that this was a priority item for them.
At this point, I'm bailing on Spry Menubar 2. I may return to Spry Menubar 1.6 which requires a "double tap" on the nav buttons to work on an iPad. I may also check out jQuery.
Thanks for the suggestions but it looks like Adobe has some serious issues. If your customers are using iPads (and they are), Spry Menubar 2 is not a solution to fix the problems encountered in Spry 1.4 and Spry 1.6.
I do not believe you.
You have done nothing to rectify the situation that you yourself have created. Have a look at the result of what you have done to the markup. It has sent IE into a frenzy as in
Let me tell you right now, installed properly, SpryMenuBar 2 does work in IE and does work with touch screens.
If you had listened to what I have said, without getting on your high horse, you would have fixed your problem by now.
To prove my point, have a look here http://pleysier.com.au/SpryMenuBar2, try it in IE7+ and in a touch screen device.
Please feel free to contact Adobe customer service. My case number is 183438899. There is certainly a disconnect between you and Adobe so it may be helpful for you to talk with them.
I am not as knowledgeable as you so some of the suggestions that you have offered, I have not been able to act on. You said that my htaccess file was using a different charset, but there was no sign of that charset in my htaccess file.
Thank you for putting your own SpryMenuBar2 test through the validator program. Now I see what was causing the errors/warnings on my site. That will be a helpful tool for me in the future.
I was also not familiar with the "Document Mode: Quirks" or development tools feature in IE. Again, that will be very helpful.
Please be aware that your pleysier version is still not working quite right in IE 8 or on my iPad. The Boys-Team Results line appears twice on both systems. It also requires that you push Boys-Team Results twice on the iPad in order to see the submenu.
I did find an alternative approach using the Yahoo (YUI) widget. It seems to be working fine on IE 8 / 9 and the iPad. An example is here:
I'll circle back around and try Spry again at some point, but for right now, I need to use the Yahoo menus in order to get my project finished.
Thanks again for your suggestions.
Europe, Middle East and Africa