Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Hierarchical Table?

Level 2

Hi

I need to create a table in LiveCycle which has a hierachical structure, so we have multiple Category items each containing a number of Groups each containing a number of Items.

I have tried a few different approaches, each of which with it's own pitfalls:

1. I tried creating a table where each row was bound to the Category level in my data and the cells were actually subforms.  Then I put a hierarchical repeating subform structure inside these subforms.

This worked well until I got to a page where the Items level had so many entries that it needed to stretch across multiple pages.  As far as I can tell there is no way to allow a single row of a table to break across pages.
  2. I tried using the table groups to represent the structure.

Unfortunately the groups themselves don't have a binding so I wound up with all of the Categories followed by all of the groups followd by all of the Items.
  3. I tried simulating a table using subforms in a hierarchical structure.

The problem with this is I can't find any way to make the header row repeat at the top of pages that it overflows onto.

If anyone can think of a solution to any of the above approaches or a new approach I haven't thought of I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Dan

9 Replies

Level 10

Hi Dan,

Option 1 should work. If you select the table row in the hierarchy (lets say Row1). Then in the Object > Row palette you should be able to tick "Allow page breaks within content".

I have done this type of solution before.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 2

That is already ticked, but unfortunately on all of the 'cells' that option is greyed out so the one that is a subform can't break across pages.

Level 10

Hi,

The normal approach would to not include subforms within the cells and this may be part of the problem. The only time I have included a subform inside the cell is if I am trying to include a series of radio buttons or another repeating instance within the cell.

Check that all of the subforms are set to allow breaks in content. Also check that the table itself allows breaks.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 2

I tried the subform approach as a way to get a repeating instance within a cell.

The table itself is set to allow breaks in content.  Unfortunately for the subforms themselves the option is greyed out - as with all of the other cells.

Level 10

Okay,

Try draging a second subform within the first and I think the ability to set the page break in the new internal subform should be available.

Niall

Level 2

I can set it on that subform, but it doesn't break because it's inside a subform that can't break.

Level 2

I wish I can one day get out of Livecycle.This environment with all these unexplained problems is one of the poorests in resources.I'm having the exact kind of problem and no one to tell it to.Sometimes some of the problems I experience feel like magie to me,they don't make any sense at all.Please do not advise anybody to learn this crap!

Sorry about my frustration.

Level 10

Well, the point is, you need to spend time learning it...as with any tool.

The book Creating Dynamic Forms with Adobe LiveCycle Designer by J.P. Terry is an excellent resource to start with. It's what got me going.

Also working through the tutorials that come with Designer helps. There are some good tutorials out on the net as well.