Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

muse vs dreameaver

Jul 25, 2012 10:46 PM

greetings dreamweavers.

i recently went to the adobe roadshow and was introduced to a new application of muse.

they instructors were going on about how cool it is,that you can do your website with no what so ever coding etc etc.

so if you can then do websites in muse,what is dreamwevaer then needed for?is it an applicaiton of adobe soon to be extinct?

thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 11:24 PM   in reply to inquestflash

iWeb is a also a very nice web tool as was Frontpage.

But seriously, would you consider a tool for amateurs a replacement for DW?

After a short trial, I removed it from my system.

Gramps

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 12:56 AM   in reply to inquestflash

inquestflash wrote:
    so if you can then do websites in muse,what is dreamwevaer then needed for?is it an applicaiton of adobe soon to be extinct?

Dreamweaver and Muse are two different products for two different markets of end users.

They have little in common other than they're both developed by Adobe and they both produce websites.

Muse is more akin to iWeb or InDesign than Dreamweaver.

Muse is a point and click product for visually oriented designers. It has its uses but the websites it can create are limited.

Dreamweaver - a tool for professionals -  is not going anywhere. Adobe is still testing the waters with Muse.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/08/16/adobes-muse-a-middle-ground-between-iwe b-and-dreamweaver/

http://www.netmagazine.com/features/developers-respond-adobe-muse

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to inquestflash

Muse will never replace Dreamweaver.

Muse = consumer level software mainly for amateurs & hobbyists who have little or no coding experience. The code Muse produces is bloated and often difficult to edit in anything but Muse.  So if you ever drop your subscription to Muse (Creative Cloud), you may have a hard time updating your site.

Dreamweaver = professional level software for developers of commercial/enterprise level web sites. The code DW produces is web standards compliant and can be edited in almost any HTML/plain text editor. 

Very different products aimed at very different users.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

Hi,

I use Muse not as a replacement for Dreamweaver, the others have describted why it is not clever.

I use Muse more like InDesign for designing webpages. Muse is actually not perfect for this but better than Illustrator or InDesign him self.

BR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2013 12:04 AM   in reply to büro exit

Hi guys i want to get into proper webdesigning i have been doing it for a little while in flash with action script, but the problem i have is when clients want things like shopping carts updating info and photos and various plugins. So i want to start using dreamweaver with HTML and css now my question is this! Is adobe muse useful for real world practical websites? what i mean by that is like can you show a simpleton (clients designated person, usually secretary or such person), how to easily update info pictures etc with Muse sites? And is it easy to put online forms forums buying online shopping carts ordering etc the kind of stuff that people generally want there websites to be capable ofon a muse site.

As sites like flash are really annoying with that. Ive looked through some of the muse sites and they dont seem good for that kind of stuff. Sorry for the long post but im trying to figure if muse is even worthwhile for  me to start using short term while i learn HTML and css thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to benboe

Hi. Happy New Year to all from frigid Cambridge, Massachusetts

I recently "graduated" from iWeb to Dreamweaver so I thought I would weigh in on this subject.

With iWeb I was up and running in about two days. With Dreamweaver it was about two months (of frustration) and I still have a long way to go. Compared to Dreamweaver iWeb is like playing tennis with the net down. It sounds like Muse is similar to iWeb.

I would definitely not invest any money in Dreamweaver - use the trial version - until you get a sense of the cost (in time and money) and benefit.

Dreamweaver is for someone who rides code at LL Bean, not for someone like me who just wants to make a personal website. I should have hired someone else to author my website.

Good luck

Kevin

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points