Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to change language in Photoshop CS5 from Polish (or any else) to English? (Windows)

Jan 3, 2012 11:14 AM

Hi,

I have a Polish language version of Photoshop CS 5 and I'd like to change it to english.

I've tried by

Edit>Preferences>Interface: Interface language

but there is only Polish language to choose.

Is there english version to download anywhere?

I'll be glad for any help

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2010 3:01 AM   in reply to micopl11

You are stuck with Polish!

One installer = one language.

The only way to get English is to buy an English version (or exchange via Adobe).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2010 9:01 AM   in reply to micopl11

I have a Polish language version of Photoshop CS 5 and I'd like to change it to english.

You can't! As John said, your language is tied to your serial. You should have bought an English version in the first place, if that's what you wanted.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2011 9:00 PM   in reply to micopl11

Yes you can if you have CS4 enlish language pack...[???]..THis should work for 80% of your menu....This is just a temporary ....suggestion but u wanna might get a true copy of the eng version for full functionality.....

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2011 12:13 PM   in reply to micopl11

Yes .........Wayne is the hero.....I gosh darn thought I would have to learn Polish..

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 3:57 PM   in reply to micopl11

Well I wouldn't know about that but I could sure use help getting from Danish to Englsin

on my legit PhotoShop CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2011 5:48 AM   in reply to micopl11

I can't see the hole message! I'm used to English Photoshop, but when I installed it on my new mac, I installed it in Norwegian. Please help! It's so confusing to use it in my own language..

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2011 6:06 AM   in reply to micopl11

I was able to replace language into ENGLISH, by using this format

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Locales\es_MX\Support Files 

I replaced  "tw10428.dat" into "tw10428.bak"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2011 11:20 PM   in reply to micopl11

how does one do this on a mac? I found a file directory to look through ( Contents/Resources/AMTLanguages) and then changing the file in there; however, some of the programs don't have the AMTLanguages file....what should I do?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to micopl11

Hello Wayne, could you email me the way to change the language to english at CS5...

Thanks...

cashlam...

[email removed by forum host]

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 17, 2011 6:59 AM   in reply to cashlam

1.  Visit the Adobe store online.

2.  Pay for a license.

3.  If you have problems with a legitimate license, call Adobe support.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 9:57 PM   in reply to micopl11

Just an interesting note. Bridge does allow the change of the interface language without paying for an extra license for that language.

Microsoft Office 2010 allows users to purchase language packs ($30 for each language).

Changing languages does have legit uses.

For licensed users,it'd be nice* if Adobe might make it a free or pay option without requiring another full price license.

Also posted to Feature Requests before anyone asks.

Gene

*Of course making note that what I consider nice and what Adobe considers nice might differ slightly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2011 3:10 AM   in reply to micopl11

liit64 's answer worked fine for me on CS5.1, thank you very much.

And for those arguing to go and buy a legal licence : I got a legal one, a French one to be precise, the company bought it, I did not chose the language.

But there are much more tuts on the web in english than in French, and it's just a pain in the *** to try to figure out which blending mode "multiply" is in French and so on. So in a way, it would make perfectly sens to be able to change language, and it would be great if Adobe would at least provide a choice between default english language OR the language associated with the key you bought.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2011 7:07 AM   in reply to saikosama

totally agree with saikosama.

I am a legitimate CS5 user with an ITA localized version; I need ITA menus in classes with my students but personally I prefer the ENG version as I am used with almost all the other software I have; also, if I need to produce a tutorial ENG is the way to go for a larger userbase.

Keeping this language choice locked is a drawback for legitimate users over warez ones as it costs 0 to download 2 or more cracked versions... at least international ENG and the localized language of choice should be included in the standard license.

just my 2c of course...

cheers,

Alessandro

P.S.: liit64' trick works with CS5 here too BTW...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2011 10:29 AM   in reply to micopl11

I speak Polish...... (really, though).

C'mon people just be honest and pay for the software. Dziękuję wam ślicznie!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2011 11:49 AM   in reply to agentpuddles007

dear agentpuddles007... are you kiddin' right?

not only I have paid for the software but they sent me 2 boxes by mistake and I returned the second one after letting them know of the issue...

so I think I am honest enough to express my thoughts here

nothing personal BTW, I see why a warez user would need to do this but honestly I think it'd be easier and quicker to download another illegal version than asking for help in an official forum...

they both were ITA version BTW... LOL!

cheers,

Alessandro

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 8, 2011 12:08 PM   in reply to micopl11

Those of you who are legitimate Photoshop users - you know we're not talking to you.  If you are a legitimate user, you should well be supporting those of us speaking to the people who have illegally downloaded a cracked version in a language other than their own!

It may well be a desirable feature for Adobe to support your changing the language.  But they simply don't

Possibly this is because pirated versions being limited to a single language cuts down the number of people who would want to download them.  Maybe they sell more legitimate copies due to this than they would to multilingual people who would appreciate the ability to legitimately change language at will. 

Or maybe there are good technical reasons why a different build is needed for Polish than English.  There are differences in files, beyond the language resources, even between en-US and en-GB versions.

Clearly Adobe has made this decision with their eyes open.  Go ahead and ask for a different decision, but it's unlikely it's going to get you anywhere.  And for God's sake stop being put off by people who aren't tolerant of software pirates!  The world needs more such people!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2011 12:23 PM   in reply to micopl11

"It may well be a desirable feature for Adobe to support your changing the language.  But they simply don't. "

=> yep, but forums are here for that purpose too aren't they ? We are legitim users (well some of us at least) who are suggesting adobe to make it easier to change language on an adobe forum. Maybe it would be great to open another post for that, maybe adobe won't listen, even read the suggestion. Maybe.

I'm not saying that piracy is good, neither am I encouraging people to illegal download softwares, just saying that they can be total legitim reasons why someone would want to change language, that's all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2011 1:33 PM   in reply to saikosama

saikosama wrote:

...but forums are here for that purpose too aren't they ? We are legitim users (well some of us at least) who are suggesting adobe to make it easier to change language on an adobe forum. Maybe it would be great to open another post for that, maybe adobe won't listen, even read the suggestion. Maybe...

While an Adobe employee might pop into the forums, this is mostly an audience of users. To suggest features to Adobe, use the 'contact' link at the bottom of the web page.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2011 2:44 PM   in reply to SurfingAlien

Sorry meant to post that to the general post, not as a direct reply to you!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2011 3:19 PM   in reply to agentpuddles007

fair enough folks... I just thought Adobe peeps were looking at these boards. I will write them directly but I fear this won't be on the top of their list anyway... in the meantime I hope they won't hate too much a loyal customer who uses that trick on (rare) occasion

on a side note: as a self employed who has to fight everyday with competitors asking half price because they use pirated software... I'm with you all on that! I just think half of the match should be making life harder for pirates but the rest should be making it easier for loyal customers

bye,

Alessandro

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2011 12:37 PM   in reply to micopl11

This topic is very usefull. I am using a ligit Adobe Cs5.5 at work and because of stupid law in Canada I am stuck with the French version, but I have never used the french version and I would work much better with the english version since that is what I have always been using. I know you can change the language in Bridge (thanks for that), but for the rest like Indesign Photoshop etc... I am stuck with the French. I would really like to use the english version.  They buy corporate versions so it's one language only and(of course) I have nothing to say and I can't request an english version since some people here don't even speak english.

It would be great if Adobe would offer a few languages pack.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2011 9:53 AM   in reply to micopl11

Simply navigate to this directory: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1\Locales\sv_SE\Support Files

the sv_SE folder is named such because my version is Swedish. Just find the similar named folder that looks like it should correspond with your language.

In the support files directory there will be a file named tw10428.dat

Make sure that photoshop is closed, change the file extension to .bak  instead of .dat, and then restart photoshop.

Your software will now be in English.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 4:37 AM   in reply to sterlin4

I think Sterlin4 wins the 'post of the day'.  Thanks!  It worked a treat.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Nov 16, 2011 3:55 AM   in reply to micopl11

As Surfing Alien pointed it out, there are legitimate uses for several languages. Bridge, Lightroom allow the user to change the language they are used in.

There is an help entry about changing a localized After Effects to English.

I therefore made a post in the feedback site suggesting a way to do it in Photoshop without having to pay for another license, feel free to vote for it!

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_allow_ change_users_to_change_the_ui_language

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to micopl11

I am also a legitimite user and find it offensive that so many assume that everybody who wants to change the language pack is a pirate. I paid for Photoshop CS5 extended as an individual, which is quite an expense. So I was careful and thorough in the purchasing process. I was only allowed to shop in the store for the Netherlands and nowhere in the entire process was I asked or given the option to select my preferred language. Not during the purchase, not during the download and not during install. I do not eliminate the possibility that I still overlooked it, but I consider that unlikely.

Like some others here, I cannot work with Photoshop in my native language (dutch). I think in english when it comes to Photoshop. Luckily though, the tip by @liit64 works. I really wouldn't know what to do otherwise, without the english language the product is worthless to me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to micopl11

Hi Wayne

Please could you email me the posts on how to change the language in Adobe Bridge?

Much appreciated!

richmondpictures@gmail.com

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to micopl11

This is brilliant! I have the Euro version which has several languages built in but not English. I've been using Spanish, which like in Windows is awkward, to able to change to English and even back again when required is great.

Muchas gracias.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to micopl11

hi!

I myself got an european version of CS5, with English not available on languages.

Here's what you have to do for Photoshop (you must do it separately for each of the CS programs):

- go to the folder C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1\Locales\fr-FR\Support Files\

- find the tw10428.dat file

- change the file name (eg. tw104281.dat)

- after that start your Photoshop and it will be in English, as this is its default language.

It is sure to work.

Best regards,

iurianu

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 8:15 AM   in reply to iurianu

Great one!! Sneaking around if you want to change the lang. on the After Effects go to (MAC OS X):
    1. AE icon in apps
    2. Ctrl + Click

3. Show Contents

4. Contents

5. Resources

6. AMTLanguages

7. Change the .txt file name to: en_US

8. Open it and also change the inside text to en_US

9. Save

10. Open AE & Enjoy!

Have a Nice Day!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 8:20 PM   in reply to micopl11

hey i can see the steps wayne has said on how to change to chang the language to english... i only can see step 1, 2 and step 27... how do i view the rest??

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2012 4:15 AM   in reply to napstersl

if you can please email me the steps.. my email add is [removed]

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to fchristant

what is the tip @liit64?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to heber007

@herber007-

I'm trying to change my language (Adobe CS5) from spanish to english. I was following your steps 1-5 but after all i found was an AMT folder. After that I got lost, I don't understand step 7. I see a folder that says en_US. Can you please help? I have a MAC

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jesse

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to jespinosa_7

I teste it & worked out only in AE. Inside the AMT Folder there should be a file .txt rename it en_US. Then open it & inside change the text to en_US also.

Hope you can make it work!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to micopl11

Here is what to do for CS6: suppose that the language is Deutch (DE) and you want to make it french (FR).

1- You reinstall the programme but this time select the right language. Once you do that, DE is still your default langue.

2- Go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 and notice the two folder fr_FR for (french) and de_DE (for deutch). Delete de_DE. Run Dreamweaver and smile, it's french.

I am sure that once once you install DW there is somewhere you can go in the menu to select your language, but I can't read Deutch...

Hope it help.

G.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 5:45 AM   in reply to Georges L.

I am in trouble since I need to buy a CS4 (design standard at least) for mac to upgrade the existing CS2 licence on powerpc macs that will not allow me to get a CS 6 installed and I can only rely on resellers, so it is much easier for me to buy a legal english copy than an italian one, at least a sealed one. I have the multilingual (original from adobe) demo: do you think I will be able to have it running in Italian? I guess the english serial will not let me autorize the multilanguage copy...  I ask beacuse I need to buy the english version and I must be sure I can have it in italian after... for an illegitimate copy I would have simply tested...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to micopl11

i can't read all of it

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 2:17 AM   in reply to liit64

Thanks for this hint. It works on Mac OS as well. Just open package content of Photoshop execution file, search for tw10428.dat (finder search box) and rename it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 10:25 AM   in reply to micopl11

hey did you  got to  change the lenguage  i was trying to  do it   and  i  found  this  hope  this  helps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HvRgVeU8w4

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points