Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 Manually Tracing

Jul 26, 2012 4:15 PM

Tags: #illustrator #anchor #path #points #stroke #tracing

I haven't quite mastered the pen tool yet, but… I'm coming along just fine.

I have this raster image I would like to vectorize, I have just started tracing… I know I could probably just experiment with it and hit control-Z a bunch of times until I figured out, but… I thought I would ask anyway, maybe somebody could give me some tips about tracing with the pen tool.

My Stroke is .25

I haven't figured out how to change the color of my paths, that's why they are green.

is it possible to select the highlighted anchor point on the right & create a path/stroke to the highlighted anchor point on the left?

anchor points.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 26, 2012 9:48 PM   in reply to WidmarkRob

The highlight for the path tool is related to the layer color and each layer comes with it own color.

You can change the color of the layer double clicking a non active part of that layer in the layers panel.

Like this

Screen Shot 2012-07-27 at 12.41.48 AM.png

Double click the color square and you get a picker pick a color

Screen Shot 2012-07-27 at 12.41.57 AM.png

Layers can have any color and so can sublayers and that would be the only waay to control the color

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 27, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to WidmarkRob

Rob,

A few of the things that might be worth knowing/realizing:

1) It is best to use the smallest possible number of Anchor Point, placed where they have the greatest effect on the shape, to get the smoothest and cleanest paths; in this connexion it is important to think ahead to enable the right continuation.

2) You may avoid some try and fail, then Undo, when you ClickDrag a new Anchor Point with Handles, by pressing the Spacebar which allows you to move the Anchor Point about while the Handles are freezed.

Others may add other suggestions.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points