• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What does "After Effects error: Not enough memory to initialize PSL. ( 83 :: 8 )" mean?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, about a week ago I did a fresh install of 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate on a new PC, and subscribed to the Adobe Creative Cloud, installing After Effects CS6 and Photoshop CS6 from the Adobe Application Manager, then doing all updates (and I just checked right now at 10:35PM on July 26th, I have the latest versions of everything).

After Effects was working completely normal, then just now, I tried to import a Photoshop .psd and I got the error message:

After Effects error: Not enough memory to initialize PSL.

( 83 :: 8 )

Then After Effects crashed. So now it opens up normally, but when I try to import a .psd or open an After Effects project saved from an earlier version of After Effects (CS3 to CS5) I get the same error and a crash, every single time.

Searching the forums, I see people talking about this error when importing .psds into CS5, and they say that getting the latest updates solved the issue for them (which obviously can't help me). I'm running all legit software on a brand new computer with 32 GB of RAM which has passed all my physical stress tests so I know it's not hardware related.

The one thing I saw people suggest is to hold down Ctrl-Alt-Shift when starting the program. When I do this, Windows asks if I want to allow After Effects to make changes to the system, and when I say yes, I can import .psds and open the older AE files. When I close After Effects and reopen it without holding down the Ctrl-Alt-Shift keys, it goes right back to crashing.

Obviously the smart-ass answer is "then hold down Ctrl-Alt-Shift, dummy", and I'll do that for now, but is there any clue what the problem is?

I feel like kind of a chump because I decided to stop using my student versions of Adobe software (I haven't been a student for about four years) and pay the full price for the cloud membership and the latest creative suite, and it's full of bugs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Hi,

if on windows machine, make sure the temp/tmp system environmental variables point to  %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp, if it is in a different location, you'll experience crashes in various Production Premium programs (bridge, prelude), not able to import psd in premiere or AE, photoshop gives some strange error on swapfile as it tries to open it up on root of C:.  You can run the individual programs elevated, though dynamic link won't work between programs like PPro/AE.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding down the keys resets the prefs. Se that thread for the exact same suggestion:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/950688?tstart=30

If it doesn't stick, you have a permissions problem or some tool is blocking the file or restoring an old, damaged one. And the permissions issue may exist on a more general level when AE fails to initiaklize the PS component. I had some detailed blurb on theat on my error code database a lifetime ago, but the site is long dead, so I can't point you to any links...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had read that they were supposed to reset the preferences, but for me nothing seems to get reset (my workspace is still my custom workspace, and the Media & Disk Cache and Memory & Multiprocessing settings that I have changed are still changed) it just allows me to open projects. It turns out I can't RAM preview or render like this, however. When I reset After Effects, again without holding down Ctrl-Alt-Shift, I can open native CS6 projects that do not have .psds referenced in them, and can render them, and can RAM preview.

Rebooting hasn't helped either, for the record

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if I open Adobe Media Encoder, and try to import an After Effects Composition, if it is a CS6 project and does not have .psds in the project, it opens fine. If it does have .psds in the project, it says "Connecting to Dynamic Link Server", then only shows me the compositions in the project that do not have .psds! wtf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, uninstalling and reinstalling fixed nothing. And I told it to delete preferences during the uninstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actually verified the prefs files have been deleted (and workspace files, for that matter, too)? Check your user Folder:

C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects etc.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reinstalling all the settings had been reset, but I did not make sure it cleared that folder. I guess I'll try that next. I do appreciate the suggestions, I hope I don't sound ungrateful. I'm just pretty frustrated at this point.

Good guess on my user name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just uninstalled again, and checked for that folder (C:\Users\Davis\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects), and it was still there, so I manually deleted it, rebooted, ran CCleaner, then reinstalled After Effects. No luck, same exact issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally got to speak to Adobe customer support on the phone. They had me try a number of things that didn't work. First, at a command prompt with administrator privileges, she had me type:

del %temp%\*.* /s /q

To clear the temp files out. That didn't fix it. Next, she had me type these lines into the same command prompt:

icacls "%userprofile%\AppData\Local" /T /C /grant "%username%":F

icacls "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming" /T /C /grant "%username%":F

icacls "%userprofile%\AppData\Local" /T /C /grant system:F

icacls "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming" /T /C /grant system:F

Also didn't change anything. Finally using RegEdit, we went to Computer/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software and deleted the Adobe folder containing all Adobe registry keys. Also no help, so we restored my registry from a backup we had made. She said that was all her document had for her to try, and that I would need to make a new user account on the computer. When I did that, the new user can indeed open the troublesome projects and import .psds.

It's not the greatest solution ever, but at least there is one, just in case anyone else has the same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

if on windows machine, make sure the temp/tmp system environmental variables point to  %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp, if it is in a different location, you'll experience crashes in various Production Premium programs (bridge, prelude), not able to import psd in premiere or AE, photoshop gives some strange error on swapfile as it tries to open it up on root of C:.  You can run the individual programs elevated, though dynamic link won't work between programs like PPro/AE.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Son of a bitch. That's the problem. I have a separate scratch drive that I use for all my temp folders, because my system drive is an SSD and I wanted to keep the wear and tear down on it, and once I got my new user account set up, the same problem started happening. And Adobe support definitely did not check that. Dude, THANK YOU SO MUCH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just rebooted and verified that was the issue. StevRo, you are a godsend. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also for the record, in a different thread someone reported running After Effects as an administrator got rid of the error messages, and it does, but Premiere Pro's Dynamic Link Server doesn't work and you lose the ability to drag-and-drop items from Windows Explorer into your Project window when you run AE as an administrator. So it looks like the only real fix is to have your temp folders set to their default locations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

glad to help..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same problem on a brand new win7, x64 machine, 32gb ram and system on 250GB SSD (C) and  userprofiles on D drive. When opening a downloaded AEP project I consistently get the "Not enough memory to initialize SPL" error. I like to have userdata on a volume separate from system data for backup and other reasons.

If running in Administrator mode, or running a profile located on the C drive (the original Administrator account) then it works ok.

Setting the system environment variables to point to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp does not help.
Nor if they are hardcoded. In fact I am unsure what happens when no one is logged in with the suggested setting, since %userprofile% has no value in that case. Setting system variables to point to a user folder seems like a poor idea to me, generally speaking. But most importantly it does not resolve the issue.

Any ideas anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is when your temp folders are ANYWHERE except for the standard Windows location. Not having your user profiles on the C: drive is definitely what's causing the problem. Your choices as of now are to run as administrator every time, and lose the ability to import Premiere Pro projects into After Effects and lose the ability to drag and drop assets into your projects, or you can use the administrator on C: to run After Effects.

Ideally if it's a simple issue they could patch this issue, and make After Effects ask the OS where to look for temp files, instead of hard coding the location. But that could be a house of cards, where a lot of other code relies on that. Realistically that will probably not get fixed since I don't think many people change their default temp locations (even if 100s or 1000s of people do, you have to think of it in terms of their entire installed user base, probably not that large of a percentage).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clearing it up. It is hard to believe that a company such as Adobe cannot handle such an issue, but you may well be right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, I get the same ( 83 :: 8 ) error listed above, followed by a new dialog window that reads:

After Effects error: Crash in progress. Last logged message was: <4488> <DynamicLink> <5> C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS6\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe

Then, when I click OK, I get:

After Effects can't continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed. For After Effects Help and Support, go to http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_support. If you still can't resolve the issue, please contact Adobe Technical Support (2).

( 0 :: 42 )

Clicking OK to that gives me a chance to save the latest project, then the standard Windows 7 crash dialog window opens, the one that gives me the choice of "Check online for a solution and close the program" or just "Close the program" and lets me View problem details, which are:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:          APPCRASH

Application Name:          AfterFX.exe

Application Version:          11.0.0.378

Application Timestamp:          4f6d63ab

Fault Module Name:          StackHash_a85b

Fault Module Version:          6.1.7601.17725

Fault Module Timestamp:          4ec4aa8e

Exception Code:          c0000374

Exception Offset:          00000000000c40f2

OS Version:          6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID:          1033

Additional Information 1:          a85b

Additional Information 2:          a85ba096cc6b6acabe6eaf35bf34dc60

Additional Information 3:          f862

Additional Information 4:          f86227a9dfa15a47cdb6c94bb0d08360

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2013 Apr 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the good news is that YOU CAN have your AE CS6 working, including dynamic link to AP, and at the time, you can have your user data whenever you want. You just have to create a "fake" temp folder in C:, like this "C:\Users\WHATEVERYOURUSERNAMEIS\AppData\Local\Temp".

Check all the permissions and ownerships for your user name.

Then, go to My PC, right click Properties / advanced.../ environment variables... and check that you have both TEMP and TMP pointing to "C:\Users\WHATEVERYOURUSERNAMEIS\AppData\Local\Temp" (hardcoded)

Restart and there you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luix35... I'm confused by your explaination. I don't see how this allows me to have my temp files on another hard drive. Could you elaborate for people who like me who are as sharp as a marble?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, mmMark....

As far as I remember this issue, it occured to me, and to many others, because we wanted to change Windows's default user location. Say that you want to have ALL your data in a separate drive D: instead of Windows system drive (typically C:). Just in case you want to reinstall your operating system, for instance.

You can do this without any problem by fiddling a little with the Windows registry an then creating a new user account that will be created wherever you want. By doing this, you are also creating a default temp directory (let's say D:\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Temp) that will be used by nearly all the aplications.

The problem with After Effects is that it will keep trying to use Window's default temp directory, which is (should be) in C:\. But it is no longer there, because you changed it to your custom location.
So, basically, the solution is telling After Effects "So, you want a temp directory in c:\? there you have it, just for you. The rest of us will work in D:"... It's a patch, I know, but is easy and harmless, and just to allow AE to start.

Nevertheless, once AE has started , you can go to preferences and specify where you want your scratch disks and so on... so, all you sensible data would go wherever you want.

I hope that  After Effects staff will take note of this issue and solve it in future versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2013 Jul 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am experiencing this issue in CS6 and I don't like the suggested "solutions".  Like many people with updated hardware, I have my boot disk as an SSD on C:.  I've also got all my User folders on the D: drive.  A well-behaved Windows application is expected to use %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp which in my case would be D:\Users\xxx\AppDataLocal\Temp.

I'm not going to mess up my clean layout to put some bogus folders on my C: drive or to always run in Admin mode.  Certainly Adobe must have a better solution in mind than to always assume that users are stored on the C: drive.  That is just not following the Windows standard.  Please Adobe, can you fix this in a CS6 update?  It's wrong.

For the sake of completeness:

Windows 8 Pro x64

Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.4GHz

16GB RAM

C: 256GB SSD (Boot/Windows/Programs)

D: 2TB HD (Users/Footage/Output)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2013 Jul 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I totally agree...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2014 Dec 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(resurrecting an old thread, because this just hit me)

I agree that Adobe's code seem wrong here, but I worked around it through a compromise:

My Temporary directory is in D:\Temp, so I created a symlink on C:

mklink /D C:\Users\<myuserid>\AppData\Local\Temp D:\Temp

and then changed my environment variables TEMP and TMP for <myuserid> profile to:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

Sure, it's silly - but, After Effects CS6 now imports .PSD files without a complaint and without requiring Administrator privileges.  Something to consider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines