Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Splitting columns and footnotes: very serious problems (user or ID?)

Jul 27, 2012 3:21 AM

In the first image an undesired rule appears at the end of the column. The bottom footnote is finely placed to the left although this behaviour in other situations changes as in image 2

16.png

In the second image, when the following text goes to next page the situation is different. No rule. Although the footnote is placed to the right, that is not good at all. Conclusion? a footnote at the END of a splitted column behaves in different manners depending in something not exactly associated as it is the following text!

16a.png

In the third image just a maremagnum is present. Footnote numbering is erroneous. Also position.

16b.png

Finally, sometimes the footnote numbering fails and it has to be manually redone: when the footnotes definition is set to restart numbering every page, ID begins footnote numering in a new page page with number 2 instead of 1.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 27, 2012 4:08 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

FYI: Your images are a little funny. Normally, you click on a thumbnail and it gets larger and more clear, but yours go dark.

Screen shot 2012-07-27 at 6.08.30 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 4:30 AM   in reply to Michael Gianino

I think the images are transparent PNGs perhaps?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 4:30 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

camilo umaña wrote:

In the first image an undesired rule appears at the end of the column.

I'm not sure why that's there.

camilo umaña wrote:

In the second image, when the following text goes to next page the situation is different. No rule. Although the footnote is placed to the right, that is not good at all. Conclusion? a footnote at the END of a splitted column behaves in different manners depending in something not exactly associated as it is the following text!

The footnote will appear at the end of the text frame (or column) that holds the cited text, so just from the way your screenshot looks, I'd say that the page has either a two-column frame, or two connected frames, like you would get if you auto-flowed text into a page with two-column margins. I'm not sure if there is a way to make the footnote appear on the left side of the page if the citation is in the right column.

camilo umaña wrote:

In the third image just a maremagnum is present. Footnote numbering is erroneous. Also position.

The rule in your third screenshot extends beyond the page. Can you give a screenshot of the Layout tab of your Footnote Options pallet?

Screen shot 2012-07-27 at 6.30.16 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

Are you using span/split columns?

I don't do a lot with footnotes, but my recollection is they don't get along well with that feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

As I said, I think there are some known issues with span/split and footnotes. It's not something I've ever used together, myself, though.

You might find some other threads if you search here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

I had a thought that the width of the rule might be causing the line to extend off the page in your third screenshot, and that's why I wanted to see your Footnote Options pallet. While 300 points seems like it may have been the cause, I can't get the line to extend past the text frame on my copy of CS3. I don't know if it works differently on your version, but I suspect I just guessed wrong this time. Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

Perhaps I missed something here. I didn't have a solution to offer, only an observation that I think it's a problem with combining span/split and footnotes.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some other threads about this, including some possible workarounds for dealing with it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points