Skip navigation
FlightDeck
Currently Being Moderated

(CS5) DisallowFlateCompression not working?

Jul 25, 2012 6:26 PM

Tags: #cs5 #save #compression #disallowflatecompression

Hi all,

I use CS5 on Win 7 64-bit.  Today I learned about this option to disable file compression to speed up save time:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/save-psd-psb-images-compression.ht ml

I downloaded the reg key and installed it.  When I restarted PS to test it on a file, there was no difference in either save time or file size.  The test file is a 300 MB multi-layered PSD file.

Any suggestions?

Thanks and regards,

KDJ

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 6:39 PM   in reply to FlightDeck

That option only applies to 16 and 32 bit/channel documents in PSD and PSB formats.

|
    Mark as:
  • Mathias17
    451 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    Jul 25, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Why not 8-bit docs, too?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 25, 2012 7:58 PM   in reply to FlightDeck

Exactly what registry value did you change?

And is it Photoshop 12.0.x or 12.1 that you're using?  That will make a difference in the registry key path you'll need to use.

Edit:  I just looked - the registry files provided will ONLY work with 12.0.x.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 8:19 PM   in reply to FlightDeck

FlightDeck wrote:

…"The attached plug-in for Mac OS and registry keys for Windows only works with the following versions of Photoshop:

• Photoshop CS5 (version 12.1 which comes with Creative Suite 5.5
    • Photoshop CS5 (version 12.0.4 which comes with Creative Suite 5"

Much of the Adobe documentation could use some careful editing.

I bought Photoshop CS5 in the box towards the end of the release cycle, and the version on the install DVD is 12.1.

Just picking nits…

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 25, 2012 8:43 PM   in reply to FlightDeck

They lied.  The .reg files only affect the 12.0 registry path.

The registry key you want is the one with 55.0 in it.

Specifically:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\55.0]

"DisallowFlateCompressedPSD"=dword:00000001

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Mathias17
    451 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    Jul 26, 2012 6:25 PM   in reply to FlightDeck

So . . . no 8-bit speeder uppers eh?

And I always thought PSD were totally uncompressed files. Since when you toss them into a ZIP they get way smaller.

But this is interesting.

BTW, your smiley translates to this, in plain text:  :^0    Nice.

|
    Mark as:
  • Mathias17
    451 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    Jul 26, 2012 6:56 PM   in reply to FlightDeck

Nice, man! Thanks for posting that!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 9:05 PM   in reply to FlightDeck

FlightDeck wrote:

… a TIF with ZIPed layers is the same filesize as the PSD, indicating that the PSD does have compression.  At that time I found that the PSD file was much faster to open/save than the TIF file, so it seems that the PSD compression was speedier…

For years I've been avoiding the TIFF format precisely because they take so much longer to open and/or save than PSDs or PSBs.  This on a wide variety of Macs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 10:33 PM   in reply to Mathias17

PSDs are RLE compressed in 8 bit/channel, ZIP/Flate compressed in 16 and 32 bit/channel.

And TIFF has options for how you want to compress - if you don't compress, it doesn't take long (but you get a big file).  If you do compress TIFF, it usually takes less time than PSD or about the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 4:56 AM   in reply to FlightDeck

FlightDeck wrote:

…There may be some other factors then because in my old test posted above, for compressed TIFF and PSD of the same size, the PSD was much faster to load/save.  (16-bit PSD vs TIF with no image compression + ZIP layers, both 393 MB.)

Over the years, I have had the same experience as FlightDeck.

During the last nine years or so, I have read with great interest comments to my posts to this effect by gurus Chris Cox and Jeff Schewe, both of whom extol the virtues of TIFFs.  However, I was never able to find any combination of Mac, Mac OS and compression method that would allow me to duplicate anything remotely like the results each one of them describes with TIFFs.  Especially the slow opening/reading process of large TIFFs is simply unnerving to me, more so than the time waiting for them to save—even if the latter operation is much of a factor now that we have the ability to save in the background.

I think FlightDeck is right when he writes "There may be some other factors then…", and I've never figured out what they are.  I've spent wasted enough time trying to find said factors that I'm happy to continue to avoid working with TIFFs as much as I can and stick to PSDs and PSBs.

|
    Mark as:
  • Mathias17
    451 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    Jul 27, 2012 6:33 AM   in reply to station_two

Wait, are we talking about flat files here? Does TIFF reliably maintain native Photoshop data - layers styles, etc. Like PDF's maintain Illustrator data when saved with Illustrator Editibility turned on. This can nearly double PDF sizes.

I only use TIFFs for raster production files. When I create something for print, in Photoshop, I'll output a TIFF, with default settings, to be used for print. PDF's for Illustrator production files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to Mathias17

TIFF does maintain layer data like a PSD if you save layer data.

And it's written the same way as a PSD and takes the same time as a PSD.

The only time we've seen TIFF be slower is when someone has a HUGE tiff written by another application as a single block of compressed data (which requires huge memory buffers to read).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to Mathias17

Mathias17 wrote:

Wait, are we talking about flat files here?…

Mathias 17, your post appears as a reply to me, but that seems unlikely, since I'm stating that I avoid using TIFFs:

"I've spent wasted enough time trying to find said factors that I'm happy to continue to avoid working with TIFFs as much as I can and stick to PSDs and PSBs."

Just in case, my own experience with TIFF slowness in opening refers to both flat and layered files.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel, you are a genius! I usually work with large files and have been struggling to get uncompressed PSB to work but was never succeeded. Thank you for pointing out the right place to modify registry. Adobe should have made the little reg mod to be placed in both 12 and 55, which was what I did manually. The way Adobe deviced the registry name is also very mindboggling. They use a negative word to define a function, making deciding "on" or "off" quite confusing in logic. I had an online chat with an Adobe technician and he had no idea what I was looking for. I was told in CS6 you can save tif file larger than 4GB, which must be some good news.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to Picky Guy

No, TIFF files are still limited to 4 Gig for writing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 1, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to Picky Guy

Picky Guy wrote:

I was told in CS6 you can save tif file larger than 4GB, which must be some good news.

But you can save PSB files of any size (which was possible in Photoshop CS5 as well).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points