Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

email client... which one?

Jul 24, 2012 8:53 PM

I prefer Outlook Express and I am tired of how Windows Live Mail  works.

Kind of a "big button app" that I can not configure how I wish.

What email client do you like and why?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to shooternz

I never think much about my email program... which is Outlook (not express) that came with MS Office... about the most complicated thing I've done with it is to create a "family" group so I can enter one "name" in the TO line and send a message to everyone in my family... some of them even write back!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to John T Smith

I use outlook xpress mostly..but also run outlook once in a while..mostly for calendar events etc... but try not to use outlook for email.

But I have in the past.. you can sorta match Outlook xpress and outlook ..forget the word they use...so your mailboxes etc are the same in both, your email accounts etc.

Anyway, like I said , I rarely use outlook for email now and just use outlook express...but with that chat thing turned off ( msn ? )....

I don't use email in a business setting ...just personal... so it works fine for me.

I keep seeing ads for 'constant contact' regarding business app of email and list servers and so on...so if you do business stuff that might be a good thing to check out ??

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to able123

>ads for 'constant contact' regarding business app of email and list servers and so on

Hmm... sounds like Instant Message stuff to me... which I do NOT do!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to shooternz

Used to use Outlook Express, now I am on Microsoft Outlook 2003 (came with MS Office). Works just fine for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 4:23 PM   in reply to shooternz

Thunderbird will run on W7.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to shooternz

Definitely Thunderbird for me.  It's free, secure, and has all the features I want.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to shooternz

I am with Ann & John T, in that I use Outhouse, er-r-r, I mean Outlook. I also have MS Office.

I still miss my Eudora, but have gotten beyond that.

Now, I do not use e-mail all THAT much, and have MailWasher, in between my POP accounts and Outlook. I have it set to Full Manual, but it marks all those pesky Nigerian money-plots, and I have all my family and few clients marked as "Friends" in it, plus UAL, Hilton and a few dozen more. I never Send/Recieve in Outlook, until I have cleaned things out in MailWasher first - saves me a lot of time, and is easy to purge things, though I did notice that I just blew away an e-mail, notifying me that I had won the New Zealand Lottery...

Have not tried Thunderbird, as recommended by Peru Bob and Jim, but have read good recs. for it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to shooternz

I use Outlook 2010 because:

- I can filter mail so mails from X lands in folder X and mails from Y lands in folder Y, etc, etc. (Rules)

- I can use Color Categories to easily sort mails by Color Categories and thus more easily get an overview. I can create how many different Color Categories i want/need.

- The calendar in Outlook is great by itself and it is already included in Outlook.

- It is great to have all my contacts, with complete mail/phone/adresses inside Outlook.

- Easy to search in mails/calendar/contacts.

Since i use other applications in Office 2010 Outlook was the natural choice for me.

IMO Outlook 2010 outperforms Thunderbird. (Yes, i have indeed tried and used both.)

/Roger

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to shooternz

I use Outlook, 2003 and 2007 for various PCs. Have not tried 2010, but I have not seen any feature changes through that time.

I hate buying Office, since I need Access and that makes it very expensive. Been buying the 2003 versions for our shop, but 2007 looks just as cheap for a single system without Access.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:07 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

I just loaded Office 2003 on my new Windows 7 PC and it works fine. Once you load the 2007 file reader, I don't see a reason to upgrade.

Outlook 2003 works just fine. 

However, my wife had been on Outlook Express. It isn't available on Windows 7 so I switched her to Live Mail.  It has rules too, so it seems OK. Of course, since she uses a form of Gmail at work, Live Mail isn't all that different. I was happy that EasyTransfer was actually easy. All of her email and her contacts and folders all came over intact.

-- Steven

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 9:19 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I use outlook 2010 in the office package. I have an MS Exchange server, so I need a cliant able to connect to that one of course.

/Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to shooternz

Roger said:

- The calendar in Outlook is great by itself and it is already included in Outlook.

- It is great to have all my contacts, with complete mail/phone/adresses inside Outlook.

- Easy to search in mails/calendar/contacts.

The Lightning plugin for Thunderbird does all that, too.  Mozilla makes both Thunderbird and Lightning.

I wouldn't buy a new version of Office just for the Outlook email client.  I think it's a waste of money, especially with OpenOffice.org available.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

especially with OpenOffice.org available.

Right?  I gave up on Office when I rebuilt my office computer two years ago.

Free is always better.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 27, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to shooternz

TBird.jpg

(A car analogy)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 6:56 PM   in reply to shooternz

Open up the Account Settings in Thunderbird and click on the name of the account you want to add it to, you'll see the options for Signatures.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points