Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Sideloading local folio into iPad3 Viewer (ipa file)

Mar 23, 2012 9:16 AM

We have sideloaded a new custom viewer onto our iPad3 so that we could test 2048 folios and it appears correctly in the File Sharing part of iTunes. However although we have made local folios we can't locate them (on Mac or PC) in order to drag them into the Documents area. Where are local folios stored?

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 23, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to Graham Davis

If you turn on Sideloading in a development app, you can either use the old Content Bundler (v11) tools to export a single .folio file, or you can hunt down local temporary .folio files and sideload those. On Mac OS, you need to show hidden files. If you have Lion, you can hold down Option and choose Go > Library. In your user library, drill down to Preferences > StageManager.[###] > Local Host, and then poke around in those folders for your .folio files.

A better option is to build a custom Adobe Content Viewer and use Preview on Device, which requires PhoneDisk.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 26, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to Graham Davis

The Content Bundler doesn’t work on the same machine as the DPS tools. Use a different computer, or use a different preview method.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 26, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Sorry, i want only a confirm: sideloading is no more supported - is it correct?  f

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jul 26, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Folobo

Sideloading is no longer supported in the Adobe Content Viewer. Instead, use Preview on Device.

iTunes Sideloading is supported in development viewer apps if you select the Enable Sideloading in Viewer Builder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi Bob,

Have there been any reported bugs or glitches with the preview on device setting. I've not been able to preview on device since upgrading to the new tools. Any suggestions?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to NickWD1688

How are you doing this?

The iPad has to be tethered to your Mac (Windows won’t work) and the Content Viewer has to be open.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Yes Bob I have done the obvious steps of having my viewer open with my i-pad tethered. The option does not appear on my folio builder, it only has preview on desktop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jul 27, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to NickWD1688

Which version of the tools are you using? With v21, Preview on Device works well for me, both from the Folio Builder panel and the Overlays panel. I'm not aware of any reported issues with Preview on Device.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

I'm on the most recent set of tools. Its funny it seemed to work fine after i updated but a few days later it just stopped. I've reinstalled my tools and content viewer more than once and still got nothing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

When wil Windows users be able to use "Preview on Device"? Is this an Adobe or Apple/iPad issue?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to pmotif

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for some of these Mac only features to move to Windows. I’d love it myself.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points