Skip navigation
digitalcargo2
Currently Being Moderated

Remove Text/Toggle Between Images w/Tap

Jul 26, 2012 5:40 PM

I have a title page for an article comprised of a photograph with text on top of it.  I want the user to be able to tap the screen to remove the text to allow them to view the photograph by itself.

Is there a way to put the text on a different layer, then make that layer disappear/reappear with a tap (like Mag+)? 

I've tried a work-arounds using Image Sequence and Slide Shows of two images, one with and one without the text.  By using Slide Show, I can allow the user to tap and "remove" the text by showing them the underlying image without the text, but then they are stuck on that image and unable to toggle back to image with text/title.

Anybody have any ideas how to do this?

Many thanks in advance!

D

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 26, 2012 7:13 PM   in reply to digitalcargo2

I think if you create an MSO with the two images, and make the images a button that goes to the other state in the MSO, that should do what you want.

I'm doing this from memory, I hope this helps.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 10:42 PM   in reply to digitalcargo2

For your Remove button, use the Go To Next State action instead of the standard Go To State.

This way, each time you click it, it'll switch to the other state.

Also, make the Remove and Show labels part of MSO states, so that they'll change according to the current MSO state.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to digitalcargo2

When you use the Object States panel to create a "conventional" MSO, that MSO can become a DPS slideshow. Here are a couple of resources you might want to look at:

Slideshow overlays

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/using/WS67cb9e293e2f1f60-8 ad81e812b10bfd837-7fff.html

Creating hot spot buttons

http://blogs.adobe.com/indesigndocs/2010/12/hot-spot-button-workaround -for-indesign-dig-pubs.html

DPS Getting Started Resources

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/using/WS67cb9e293e2f1f6017 4dc2eb12f2ca67c28-8000.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to digitalcargo2

One possibility is to create a big invisible button that covers each state in the MSO. The button uses the Go To Next State action.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to digitalcargo2

Yes, an MSO is the answer here and no, there’s no SWF involved.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to digitalcargo2

I'm sorry, but when you talk about .swf files with MSOs, I don't know what you're referring to. My understanding is that you want to create a slideshow in which tapping each image takes you to the next image. To do this, align your images in a stack, select them, and then use the Object States panel to create an MSO (multi-state object). Then use the rectangle tool to create an invisibile frame the same size as the MSO object. Use the Buttons panel to apply a Go To Next State action to this invisible frame. Then lay the frame over the MSO. When you preview it in the Adobe Content Viewer, tapping the area will advance the slideshow one state at a time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 1:03 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

D,

While MSOs were originally added to InDesign for use in .swf files, DPS leverages the same UI in InDesign to enable creation of interactive content in DPS. You can just use the MSO panel as people have suggested in other responses to get the behaviour you want. When you add the InDesign document to Folio Builder we'll build an article where the MSOs behave correctly on the device.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Just to add a bit to Neil’s post. With the MSO selected the Slideshow overlay should be active in the overlay creator panel (Folio overlays in CS6). Make the appropriate choices there.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to digitalcargo2

digitalcargo2 wrote:

I want to change the Object State each time the user touches the photo.  With a Slideshow if I have it 'Stop at Last Image' the user can't get back to the original image.   If I don't check 'Stop at Last Image' then it automatically goes back to the first image--even if the user wants to stay put.

Any ideas?

It's simple.

Create your 2 steps MSO using the Object State panel.

When you select the MSO. The Overlay Creator panel will display the Slidshow controls.

Leave it as is!!!

Next, draw a rectangle over the MSO, select it and convert it to button (Object > Interactive > Convert to Button).

In the Buttons panel, set the button action to Go To Next State.

Now use the preview button at the bottom of the Overlay creator or Folio Builder panels to test the result.

Each tap (click) will toggle from the currently displayed state to the other, which is, if I'm not mistaken, what you asked for.

See in this sample file.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to digitalcargo2

Can you tell me which topics have the links about swf files? I'd like to remove those. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points