Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Disappointed in CS6 and Adobe in general

Jul 25, 2012 8:18 PM

I am more and more disappointed in CS6 and Adobe in general.  I no longer have any respect for Adobe or their products.

I can't read the new title editing function in Premiere CS6 (it was fine in CS5). Somebody here said you can make it bigger: No you can't. You can make the box bigger like a picture frame around the edit, but the text is still unchanged and unreadable. Soundbooth was usable as a wave editor, Audition is not. Installed on an AMD machine, Premiere Pro CS6 imports Nikon video as audio and after more than a month of playing with it Adobe's India supper support still doesn't have a clue.

Dreamweaver CS5 Ste files won't fully import into CS3 or CS5 (it can't read the FTP user/pass), my install of Encore CS6 is missing all the menu templates and buttons so I go back to CS5, and I was totally disappointed that CS6 won't edit in 3D. The After Effects work around for 3D is a joke.

The Master Collection download install file is just a little too large to fit a backup on any DVD. How inconvenient! The first one kept asking for "Disk 2 - English/Japan". It would be nice if they got it right before releasing it to the public.

Finally frustrated with the idiocy of Adobe, I bought Grass Valley Edius 6.5. When I called GV for a minor issue I got an office in the USA on the second ring and a quick, correct answer. Everybody there speaks clear English. The Edius product simply works (it's been a broadcast news editoring standard for years) and I can also edit 3D.  I can actually see titles when I'm editing them. It imports any file I want correctly, including the Nikon files that Premiere CS6 can't. It has all the functions that Premiere does, including good stabilization, and a few that Premiere does not.

And Grass Valley Edius is a product from Japan!

Wake up Adobe, your ship is sinking fast into the Indian Sea and I'm sailing in the other direction.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to timtro

...and I'm sailing in the other direction.

Not surprised by that.

Your experience is entirely unique to yourself.  Go figure.

You could have asked for help and advice here  BTW

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 8:58 PM   in reply to timtro

timtro wrote:

Premiere Pro CS6 imports Nikon video as audio and after more than a month of playing with it Adobe's India supper support still doesn't have a clue.

Could you eleborate on the Nikon problem? I have been importing Nikon D800 video daily for the past 2 months with no problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to timtro

You made a very interesting remark that was lacking in the original post. You have problems on an AMD system with the Nikon material and no problems on an Intel system. Second thing that is interesting to know is what you imported from the Nikon. Just the clips or the complete directory with all the sub-folders. And how?

If we want to help - provided we can - we need a lot more information with all the details, even if they seem irrelevant to you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 26, 2012 5:44 AM   in reply to timtro

I must say that I do long for the return of the days when I used to directly phone a small dedicated team in Glasgow who knew their applications inside out.  I almost knew all of them by their first names.  They were excellent - and we always managed to work through the difficulties.

It then changed to an undisclosed location where a (not being sexist) girl who had no application experience would type my issue into a database.  If nothing was returned, she was unable to help - and had to escalate the issue.  Often I did not heard back.

Now I tend to rely on this forum.  There are many altruistic experts here only too eager to help.  If they can't sort it...

By the way, where is Colin Brougham.  I hope he's okay!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 5:57 AM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

Jon-M-Spear wrote:

Now I tend to rely on this forum.  There are many altruistic experts here only too eager to help.  If they can't sort it...

Sure thing, this forum is great, and I think that often people with simmilar tasks as yours have been in the same place and maybe solved a problem already and can pass the info on to others.

/Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 6:24 AM   in reply to timtro

Without knowing the exact specs. of those Nikon files, I can only guess, but if the Video Stream is missing on one machine, I would speculate that the files use the MJPEG CODEC (common on a lot of Nikons), and that it is not installed on the AMD machine.

For many, a "generic" MJPEG CODEC works fine - perhaps MainConcept, or Lead, but as camera mfgrs. love to tweak their CODEC's, I would look to installing the Nikon version. That will most likely be on the supplied camera utility disc, and might be a separate install, might be installed with the camera's driver, or might require that one install the mfgr's. editing, or cataloging utility program.

Good luck, and perhaps run one of those Nikon files through MediaInfo, and report on the specs.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to timtro

When moving video from camera card to hard drive, copy the ENTIRE folder structure, and in Premiere, Import using MEDIA BROWSER. Maybe you're already doing this, but wanted to put this out there.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to timtro

The source files were transferred from a USB drive.

Since Nikon does nor record on USB drives, that begs the question what was on that USB drive? The complete original directory?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to timtro

OK... for Motion JPEG, go back and re-read what Hunt said in #9

And, if at all possible, always copy the entire folder from camera to computer hard drive

Why is contained in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015001?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to timtro

Bill has hit it right, you need an MJPEG codec on the AMD system to work correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

There is another thread with some info in too reg. this:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3915102

Scroll down a bid

Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to timtro

Is there somewhere I could download a small clip, then I would test it on my systems

Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to timtro

timtro wrote:

By the way I did not appreciate the forced install of the AVG ToolBar that was hidden inside the MediaInfo install.

You can turn it off prior to installing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to timtro

Go into Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations

Scroll down to AVI.

What do you see there next to the AVI association on the AMD system?

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to timtro

I had another adventure today. Learning from this forum that the menus and buttons missing from Encore CS6 were in a "missing items" update, I downloaded and installed the update only to find there were still no backgrounds, no buttons and only a few "menus".

At the top of the Encore forum is a relatively new announcement "Download full functional content/library content for Encore CS6." It links to:

http://helpx.adobe.com/encore/using/download-library-content.html

This involves uncompressing a file twice (a zip and a 7z) and then making sure you get it to the right place or repoint Encore to the correct location. It works.

It is NOT the installer that provides the regular (but optional) functional content that includes some elements for Premiere (styles for example).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to timtro

What does it say next to description in that same place where you assign program association for AVI. Does it say audio file or video file?

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to timtro

Do you have VLC Player installed on this AMD?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

If not, install that and open one of those media files. Then close and open Premiere. Delete any of those files already imported and re-import the file. See if it recognizes it.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to timtro

I am curious to see if Blackmagic's Mjpeg codec is the same version as Nikon's. Download and install this.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail/register/?sid=3945&pid =4012&os=win&isSDK=0&fid=31452

Then open Premiere and see if that allows Premiere to recognize the codec.

BTW do you have all of the Visual Basic C++ 2010 updates installed on that AMD?

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to timtro

Yes but that does not mean CS6 is set to update the supported codecs in the same location or version differences with supported files. Blackmagic install's their MJpeg Codec into a definite location that CS6 see's.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 5:30 PM   in reply to timtro

"Error: Acccess is denied. Cannot create ...  Administration privileges may be required."

I don't recall any Encore users' opening that file with that problem. I wonder about local (disk) permissions or the like. It is a big file!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to timtro

I totally agree with your remarks about adobes tech support. I had a guy tell me once back when I was using Premiere cs4 or cs5 (I can't remember which it was) that I was experining performance problems because I had a Quad-Core CPU that was clocked at 2.6Ghz instead of a Dual Core at 2.8Ghz he kept saying "the system requirements say a 2.8G Dual hz Processor" I kept saying back yes but that 2.8Ghz CPU is only a dual core, the conversation was useless and a total waste of my time.

However I would like to say that in my experince this forum is of great help. So hopefully the people here will be able to help you resolve this issue. 

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points