Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Objects do not appear to deselect

Mar 15, 2010 2:23 PM

We are having an odd behavior in Illustrator CS4 in our office.  Multiple users try to deselect objects by clicking in blank space, but the last object still appears as if it is selected onscreen. When they select another object (without holding SHIFT), it looks as if the old object AND the new object are selected...but when they delete or otherwise manipulate the newly selected object, it only affects that particular object and does not alter the old object that appeared to also be selected. Although the actual functionality is correct, it is extremely distracting and annoying because it looks like they have more objects selected than they actually do...and they can never really tell what's what!

For one user, this happens frequently when selecting objects with clipping masks. For another, it happens when simply using the selection tool on any old object. All users on Mac Leopard 10.5.5. Aside from resetting preferences which I've had one of the users do (he's going to notify me if the behavior continues), any other ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2010 2:27 PM   in reply to Seattle User

Sounds like a problem with the screen not getting redrawn. Just a zoom-in/zoom-out should force a redraw and show the correct selection state.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2010 3:33 PM   in reply to Seattle User

You must have installed or update some software right before this happened because it sounds to me like a software conflict or a hardware isssue.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2010 8:39 PM   in reply to Seattle User

Seattle User wrote:

...although the only thing that got upgraded on these computers is the Adobe Creative Suite (from 3 to 4)!

There you go... there's your problem!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 3:28 PM   in reply to Seattle User

Try creating a new user and log into that and see if you have problem in the new user ccount.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to Seattle User

I'm also having this issue. It's not a problem with redrawing because when I select another object and try to "divide objects below" it tells me I have more than one object selected. If I close and reopen the file, it works fine. Any ideas how I can deselect my last object without having to close/reopen?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to Seattle User

Seattle User, others,

Some other applications may disturb and confuse Illy.

The usual suspects include:

Quicktime/iTunes,

Quicken (Widget),

Entourage,

Google Earth,

Zune,

Some Firefox Add-ons,

Spotlight (shortcuts),

Fetch,

Hulu,

Cocktail,

Cinch,

RightZoom,

Synergy,

FontExplorer.

You may try to close down these, or just all other (non Adobe) applications and see whether it helps; you may then open them one by one to find the guilty one(s).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

I shut down ever non-essential operation and it didn't help. It seems like it has something to do with the fact that I'm dividing objects below.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 3:42 PM   in reply to jod-zeee

Been seeing this problem for years, since CS4, currently working in CS6.

It happens when you draw a selection box over an object containing a clipping mask and then try to deselect the object by drawing another selection box. That just selects an object inside the clipping mask, but you can't deselect that object by clicking off of it. You have to draw another selection box reselecting everything you just deselected, then click off of it. Or alternately, resize the offending object, hit Cmd+Z and THEN click off of it. I dunno whether this is a feature or bug, but anyhow it's a pain in packaging design where we use a lot of clipping masks.

I love how everyone who has never had this problem tells you to trash your preferences or quit other applications or reinstall something though, you guys are a great help!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 4:17 AM   in reply to jimtealiii

It's more than just clipping masks. I too have seen this on and off for years -- since CS2 at least. Mostly in files with no clipping mask anywhere. If I ever do manage to find a common theme in these files I will be SO happy...

The easiest way I've found to get rid of it (at least temporarily) is to make a small box (or other object, it doesn't matter). Select the box and the problem object (clicking again to make the problem object the ancor, so it doesn't move), then center one on the other. Nine-and-a-half times out of ten you will then be able to deselect all and get rid of your box without closing the program, or resetting preferences, etc.

Good luck.

--OB

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 12:09 PM   in reply to Seattle User

I kept running into that problem from time to time (different versions Illustrator, even different computers, Mac, PC) Finally, closing Firefox did the job.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points