Skip navigation
GerdaMay
Currently Being Moderated

Question about PageMaker files

Jul 28, 2012 5:17 AM

Can my old Mac Pagemaker files be open and used in the newer Mac with OS 10.6.8 which my Granddaughter has given me?  If so, with all InDesign versions?  I'm an old **** and this is the first time I'm trying to use a Discussion Group.  How do I know when there is an answer?  Do I have to keep this website open, or check back sometime, or will I receive an Email or phone call?  Please let me know by means other that this site, to get started with.  My Email is [removed by forum host] Thank you,  Gerda May

Message was edited by: Peter Spier

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 27, 2012 7:11 PM   in reply to GerdaMay

InDesign will open Pagemaker 6.0 and later. How well the conversion will be is a crapshoot.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to GerdaMay

Bob has already answered the file opeing question in general, but to add some more specific advice it is extremely important that all links be unembedded and brought up to date before conversion or all you will get is screen previews.

No need to tell the spammers of the world what your email is (I've removed it from your first post). You had to provide an email when you registered, and by default you will be subscribed to any thread in which you post, so you should bet the responses automatically. You can reply by email (please turn off autoquote and delete personal information in your signature) or return to the web page if you have something to add. Emails all come to the web page, not to a specific responder, and are available to the world.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to GerdaMay

When you import images into a Pagemaker document (File > Place...) Pagemaker can either link to the image, or embed it in the file (making the file larger, but making it unnecessary to have the original copy for output). By default, all images up to a certain threshold, which I no longer remember, were embedded.

ID does not read this embedded data, but does read the pointers (links) to placed files that are not embedded. You should open your files in Pagemaker, then open the Links Manager from the File menu and do two things: Unembed any images that are embeded, and make sure that any images that are linked but not embedded show as being up-to-date. If you cannot find a linked image all that you will get when opeing in ID is the low resolution screen preview which is generally not good enough for printing. It sounds like you may need to reinstall Pagemaker on the new machine to do that, or open them on the old system and resave.

I don't do shorthand, but I used to be semi-famous for my chocolate chip cookies.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points