Skip navigation
mario_gudelj 1,679 posts
Oct 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Does Business Catalyst Web hosting support server side languages, such as PHP, .Net etc

May 10, 2012 7:27 PM

No. You can not run server side code on BC. So, programs written in languages such as PHP, Pear, Python, .Net, etc. can not be executed on our server. Also, we do not allow direct access to the database.

Instead, you have to use built in modules to implement dynamic site functionality in BC.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 27, 2012 8:56 PM   in reply to mario_gudelj

Hi Mario, on the similar line of thinking, questions often arises, what language are these modules in busiiness catalyst written with ,is there any good docuemntation on that? Is therea plan to make it open source? What is the best place to get an overall architectural description of business catalyst; where is the official Api doc for business catalyst.

Thanks ahead for throwing some light on these.

|
    Mark as:
  • Liam Dilley
    6,687 posts
    Feb 28, 2012
    Jul 27, 2012 10:06 PM   in reply to shines

Hi there,

The code is likely not to ever be open source. The system is built on .NET (ASP).

Liquid is on the cards for a release at some point hopefully sooner then later which has more server side esk features but still not full server side access. You wont ever get that with BC.

API documentation can be found on the BC knowledgebase if you want to use the Soap REST API's.

Guides on using BC modules, layouts etc can also be found on the knowledgebase. You can find the modules and tag quick reference page links on the side on the main landing overview page of these forums.

Here are some links:

http://helpx.adobe.com/business-catalyst/kb/modules-quick-reference.ht ml

http://helpx.adobe.com/business-catalyst/kb/tags---quick-reference.htm l

http://kb.worldsecuresystems.com/tutorials/

http://kb.worldsecuresystems.com/browse/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to shines

I know it will never ever happen, even when (if) liquid (ever) gets off the ground, but some kind of server-side scripting access would be amazing.

I mean just imagine if there was a repository for open source modules here, as with wordpress plugins, or google gadgets.

|
    Mark as:
  • Liam Dilley
    6,687 posts
    Feb 28, 2012
    Jul 28, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to kenneth_rapp

Things like import export of web apps and market place have been discussed, liquid will come out and more features added but it won't be open source. Not that kind of platform. If you want that explore other options.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 8:34 PM   in reply to Liam Dilley

I can understand where Liam is coming from. The platform itself was never designed to compete with platforms like wordpress, however given that Adobe is taking Bc as their main web presence platform with all that array of  brilliant design tools in the backend [ps,il, etc] , I almost feel the impedance mismatch if Bc is going to limit itself to webapps which the opensource community cannot tweak with- I shall wait for liquid to come out to see what direction Adobe is going ,especially in keeping with HTMl5 and javascript maturity.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 8:51 PM   in reply to shines

I almost feel the impedance mismatch if Bc is going to limit itself to webapps which the opensource community cannot tweak with- I shall wait for liquid to come out to see what direction Adobe is going ,especially in keeping with HTMl5 and javascript maturity.

I know... I half expected to be able to build and compile flash apps right in the site editor or something when I heard about it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Liam Dilley
    6,687 posts
    Feb 28, 2012
    Jul 29, 2012 4:07 AM   in reply to kenneth_rapp

Nope, not what is on the cards.
    Just wait and see. It wont be open source but you will get more cool toys down the line.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to Liam Dilley

I just want more documentation, API examples and an affiliate based API operation LOL :-)  For us BC newbs figuring out how to display back api information on websites, etc is just not documented from my searches...

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to mario_gudelj

Saw this earlier post which seems pretty definitive on .PHP within BC.  Prior to taking my Adobe Muse site live and while in the BC Trial Version,  I did in fact load some .PHP files for styling an embedded Google Calendar. I used a small script from http://www.restylegc.com.  I got this to work perfectly.  Once I converted my subscription to webBasics+ and went live, I guess your policies went into affect so now it does not work.  Any update on whether this will be possible in the future?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to rhcaldwell

To my knowledge BC has never and never will support PHP or other server side languages.

|
    Mark as:
  • Liam Dilley
    6,687 posts
    Feb 28, 2012
    Dec 29, 2012 8:06 PM   in reply to rhcaldwell

You wont be running on BC or running PHP files. Like Lynda said BC is .net based and does not have apache and also does not allow these files So that is not possible.

You may think you have but this will not be the case. The server environment does not support PHP and the file types are not allowed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points