Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to get crop tool to work faster (is sluggish)

Jul 27, 2012 1:23 PM

Tags: #crop #slow

I'm cropping a few thousand pictures, and the crop tool is just sluggish.

Changing the crop or moving the picture behind the crop is jumpy, sometimes it needs seconds to change the display, which makes cropping pain to work.

Even after the picture is loaded and the lightroom rested some time, cropping is sluggish, which should not be, since the picture is fully in the memory and moving it around should be easy for the computer.

So how can I get the crop tool to move faster?

I'm using a Win7 Core i7-2600 with 16GB Ram, LR catalogue on Intel SSD, images on a fast SeaGate HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6800 grafics adapter, 30" (2560x1600) display. The files are NEF from a Nikon D800E, but the files from my D700 are slow, too.

I already worked through this list which helped a little, but not too much.

I'd appreciate any tips!

thanks,
Sam

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 27, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to radeldudel

Sam,

I have your processor, half of your memory, and no SSD, and crop has no lag whatsoever on images from my D300, which I think are the same number of pixels as the ones from your D700.

There's something not right about your setup, if crop is anything but blindingly fast.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 3:32 AM   in reply to radeldudel

Sam,

2048 x 1142.

Just as an experiment, try reducing your screen resolution. I wouldn't expect it to have that big an effect, but something is strange.

I tried the crop on a sample D800 image, and it's a bit jerky, but I'm still not seeing the lag you mention.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to radeldudel

Sam,

That's both good and bad news.

It has to draw a tonne of pixels in the higher resolution, and I suspect that it uses only the CPU to do it. Having a faster video card likely wouldn't help.

While you do your cropping, maybe you could shrink the Lightroom window so that the actual image that shows is taking up less than half the screen area. There have been posts on this forum that indicate a large speed increase from keeping the image fairly small. It seems to be quantized: there are certain thresholds, when crossed, that cause big boosts in performance. Try some experiments.

Hal

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points