Skip navigation
mr314
Currently Being Moderated

Noob Question

Jul 28, 2012 3:39 PM

I can't seem to get the "expand" funtion to work.

I type my text. Highlight my text, than select object>expand, but nothing happens. No pop-ups or messages. Just sits there. "Rasterize" works, but not expand. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 28, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to mr314

What kind of expand are you after? There are several.

Just in case you want to convert your text to paths, you might take a look here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/illustrator/cs/using/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e0 7d0100196cbc5f-63d0a.html#WS18156339-458C-45e1-8CD0-DD7931678BBE

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to mr314

mr314,

It ought to work, but if I understand it in the right way you can obtain the desired result if you Type>Create Outlines.

It may be a matter of corrupt preferences. You may look at the (first) suggestions here (you may have tried/done some of them already) and see whether it helps:

1) Close down Illy and open again;

2) Restart the computer;

3) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup;

4) Move the folder with Illy closed;

5) Look through and try out the relevant among the Other options;

Even more seriously, you may:

6) Uninstall, run the Cleaner Tool (if you have CS3/CS4/CS5/CS6), and reinstall.  http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 4:13 AM   in reply to mr314

mr314

In this case you do not highlight the text but instead you select it!

What's the difference you might be wondering.

Highlighting the text or inserting the text cursor is for working with text at the character level and selecting it is working wit at the type level.

The former is for creating and editing text and he latter is treating text as art.

If you want to expand or create outlines or flatten the transparency (similar to expanding) you have to select the text with the selection tool and not the type  tool.

The selection tool is either the black arrow or the white arrow or the lasso tool.

So if you highlight like this the expand command will not work

Screen Shot 2012-07-29 at 7.05.15 AM.png

If on te other hadn you select the text with a selection tool you will be able to expand or create outlines

Screen Shot 2012-07-29 at 7.05.57 AM.png

I am not certain how helpful the help files are on the subject but you might want to search out te differences in the different uses of type in Illustrator.

Hope this helps solve your issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 6:06 AM   in reply to mr314

For my part you are welcome, mr314.

When (some or all of) the live Type is selected with the Type Tool, the Object>Expand option is greyed out, so I presume you have selested the Type with the normal (or Direct) Selection Tool where the option should work, as an alternative to Type>Create Outlines.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

That is not the case Jacob when you highlight text with the type tool expand isn't grayed out. It just doesn'5294))?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

It seems that there may be a difference between versions, Wade.

Maybe we shall never know how the Type was selected.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 9:06 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

We know how hey selected the text they wrote we highlighted the the text, and if they had selected it with the selection tool then expand would work but if they highlighted it with the text tool then it would not work.

So it is pretty clear how they selected the text and we kknow they are not using the version you are using since they are a noob! Not too likely they would be on v10.

That would be kind of a very, very, very long shot, won't you say.

I thkn they will be back tomorrow.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 4:39 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I wonder which is greater, the inconceivableness of later versions introducing new misleading non options, such as ungreying impossible operations, or the inconceivablenss of an OP using what may seem to be a misleading term implying the use of another Tool than the actual one.

Since both are inconceivablenesses, it may be hard to have a clue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

@ Jacob Bugge.

You're right. There must be a version difference. I don't know about CS6, as I don't have it. But on the machines here, in CS3, 4, and 5, on both Windows and Mac, highlighting text with the text tool does not gray out Object > Expand but, as the OP stated, clicking it it doesn't do anything, either.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points