• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Macbook Pro Retina, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Macbook Pro Retina just came out and I noticed that it has a GPU card (NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M) that supports CUDA! Does this meet the requirements for the Raytracer? If so, it should be added to the system requirements.

Has anyone tried it on the new MBPRO Retina?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erm, yes, we all have been invited to Apple's super-secret compound and have been testing this for the last 3 months... *oops* now I told you my secret! Pardon the sarcasm, but asking such questions 5 day after an announcement (the hardware isn't even available for delivery yet, in our part of the world at least) is slightly insane. I'm sure Adobe is looking into al lthe options, but really, give it some time.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure I understood it. Sort of confusing.

Shipments of the MBPro Retina are arriving now to users, and I simply want to know if anyone has tried Raytracing with After Effects CS6 on this new machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The specific card is not officially support but may work. I'll let you know as soon as my MBPro arrives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, did the Raytracer work with the new MBP Retina? Any luck/details?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several folks have this workikng. I'm still waiting to get my new MBPro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2012 Jul 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the steps outlined here on my MacBook Pro Retna, worked like a charm!

http://www.vidmuze.com/2012/06/how-to-enable-gpu-cuda-in-adobe-cs6-for-mac/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just finished some initial tests on the Retina MacBook - it isn't supported officially as mentioned, however, you can add the card to the the After Effects supported card file (Google this) and with a little fiddling it worked for me.  Obviously this isn't official, but I can't imagine why Adobe wouldn't get it tested and supported soon.  It works great for me so far... (Careful! It would be risky to use in a real project- there could easily be render problems later.)

But WOW... It is AWESOME.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got rMBP today.  Added AE and found out the ugly truth.  Mine shipped with ML. I did nvidia 5 driver and follwed instruction for termianl.  It saw the card but ray trace is gone from the menu with an error on launch about the shader.  

So my question is how fast is it with the GPU actually recognized?   Compared to it not on.  Cause it's as slow as paint drying without it...   I missed that this didn't work out of the box.  I saw the barefeats AE GPU test and bout immediately.  (rather have a MPro but....)  So any help would be great.  I am going to return this thing if it's not fast with AE.  I have no use for it.

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2012 Aug 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to make sure that the card is on the list. I fouled up the terminal commands twice before I got it right. Run the scripts again to make sure that AE is seeing the cards and that you don't have any extra spaces, empty lines, or other mistakes. Once you see the card in the terminal you should be able to open AE preferences and see the GPU in the preferences. Once you're there, everything should work just fine providing that you haven't installed some 3rd party codec packs or other funky open GL drivers that conflict with the MBPr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the exact same boat, idareu2mov. I got a new MBP Retina with OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion preloaded, downloaded the latest Nvidia Cuda driver 5.0.24, edited the TXT files to accept the GeForce GT 650M video card, opened up After Effects CS6 11.0.0 and BAM! I got the error on start up:

"After Effects error: Ray-traced 3D: Initial shader compile failed. ( 5070 :: 0 )"

When I go into my After Effects > Preferences > Previews settings, I now have the ability to switch between CPU and GPU, which is new since I updated the TXT file to accept my video card.

What's strange is that if I set the Previews setting to CPU, then restart AE, I don't get the error. When I turn on GPU while in AE, still no error. But if I leave the GPU setting on and restart AE, up pops the error again.

I've been to the end of the internet and back and haven't found a solution yet. The latest advice is to update to AE CS6 11.0.1. Hopefully that will fix the error.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating to Adobe After Effects CS6 11.0.1 didn't help. Guess I'll just have to wait for an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SUCCESS!!! Ask and you shall receive. They JUST updated the cuda driver to version 5.0.36 on 10-1-2012. I installed it, and BAM! It's been working ever since, no nasty error messages. I guess Adobe heard us. Here is the link were I found the latest mac Cuda drivers...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

Best of luck to the rest of you that have been searching high and low for this fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The After Effects CS6 (11.0.2) update was just released. It includes many bug fixes and adds some GPUs to the list of those that can be used for GPU acceleration of ray-traced 3D rendering.

Details are here:  http://adobe.ly/AE1102

Note that one of the changes is adding the GT 650M to the official list of GPUs that can be used for GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, excuse me because i don't speak english so well.

I have the After Effects update (11.0.2) and Cuda driver installed and it works yesterday but today doesn't.

When I start AE, told me that i don't have de Cuda drivers installed... it's weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with 11.0.2. It's probably about 80/20 for me. 80% of the time, the GPU processor loads, 20% it fails to load. I normally just shut down AE and try to reopen it. I've also found that if I open AE from the applications folder, it will fail, but if I open AE by double clicking on a specific AE project file, it seems to load the GPU.

I think what the AE updates are doing are stalling the GPU loading processes, giving the program up to a minute to recognize the GPU drivers on your machine. I'm no programmer, but I've just noticed the new loading messages on the launch screen. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ssowrey,

When I open AE by open a project file, this wrong behaviour whith cuda drivers is totally random but if I open AE directly from the app folder, AE always has the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plugin in the power cable helped me... Good luck, André.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks n13media but it doesn't works for me. At this time i have always the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines